Posted: Jul 1st 2009 10:30AM arnavdesai said

Wow I am excited for these books but at the same time frustrated by the timelines they mentioned. Jeez, its taking a crazy long time for GW2 related news or stuff.
I really think they should have managed their time lines properly.
It will be hard to justify 'hype' for GW 2 if it releases late 2010 or god forbid 2011. Also, if they launch in Christmas or holiday season of 2010 they will get butchered by the big budget titles (& there are a lot of them). They need to launch it during the slow seasons cause their fans will still buy it, Its just the other 2million they have to convince.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 11:15AM (Unverified) said

I've also been frustrated over the lack of info about GW2. However, I've heard some of the delay is because of NC Soft and their other diversions...

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to checking out this trilogy. I just couldn't get into the Warcraft books at all (even while I was a WoW subscriber). Maybe I could have gotten into them if I was younger and still in school.

Guild Wars seems to have taken its lore a little more seriously. I'm having a blast going through the content (cutscene by cutscene) and feel that a book trilogy is a highly logical and needed step to go from GW1 and GW2.

Look forward to you reporting on this more as it develops, Shawn. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 11:49AM Cendres said

NCsoft only publishes this title, I doubt they have anything to do with the delay as their decisions and rearranging NCwest would have no impact on Arena Net. Remember that this title is more ambitious then what they did with GW1.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 1:35PM engrey said

2011 seems like a more resonabile release to me for GW2. The end of this year and next year we will see a huge influx of MMOs to the market.

If Arena Net wants to make a solid game they should wait for the huge wave to hit. Area Net then can grab the people who tried the new MMOs out but quit after 6-months of play.

2011 seems like a very far ways away but we have a few solid titles coming out that should keep some interest in playing an MMO.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 2:25PM (Unverified) said

I'll definitely be checking these out.

A 2010/2011 release date wouldn't surprise me. Considering the founders of Arenanet are all ex-Blizzard employees, the "we'll release it when it's ready" philosophy should be expected.

And to be honest, wouldn't we all rather wait a year or two longer and get a solid game we'll play for years than a crappy one we'll abandon after six months? Heck...as long as this game is as fun as the first was AND INCLUDES AN AUCTION HOUSE, I'll be its most devoted fan.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 3:23PM Tom in VA said

I, too, am looking forward to seeing/playing GW2.

However, seeing as how long it has taken them to do anything, I really wish ArenaNet had opted to do another GW1 chapter or mini-campaign prior to the release of GW2.

Another Eye of the North-type expansion would have made big bucks for ArenaNet and kept a lot of GW players happy during this long, dull ... "intermission" period.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 3:44PM (Unverified) said

The funny thing is, if they had made another campaign, then they would have had to delay work on GW 2, so you'd have to wait just as long, but starting a little later.

Posted: Jul 1st 2009 4:14PM Tom in VA said

The thing is, that's a bit like saying the next expansion of WoW is being "delayed" because Blizzard's production and resources are being spent on developing Diablo and Starcraft.

I just don't buy that argument. If a game is as popular as Guild Wars, then it should be worthwhile for a given developer to work on more than one product at a time.

GW2 is, in effect, a new game. But the old game, GW1, still has a lot of life left in it -- or would have, if ArenaNet invested in it. At the very least they should have subcontracted with another developer to work on expansion to GW1 while they focused on GW2. I think there was definitely more money to be made that way.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 5:18AM cray said

Interesting perspective Tom, but considering ArenaNet has only one game under their belt and Guild Wars being it's first baby. I highly doubt they be comfortable leasing out another developer to add another expansion to GW1.

Part of me wouldn't mind another expansion, particularly one for Factions and another for Nightfall. Eye of the North was really a sequel to Prophecies.

Also I'm not concerned at all about the release dates, because these things take years to create, including the books. A good novel takes at least 3-5 years to write, lets not rush them.

The Stream Team: Where the WildStar things are