Posted: Jun 26th 2009 7:46PM DevilSei said

Jeese, I was wondering what that price was for that uber-limited edition copy, $2600? Ouch...
But at the same time, they aren't getting any money out of it, on top of giving that person a life-time account on their own expense. Nice way of making someone who is willing and/or capable of large sums of money for something small, actually spend it on something good, even if its indirectly.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 8:21PM Nadril said

Selling a big collectors edition like that for charity is an A+ move, that's for sure. Big props to them for doing this.

The rest of the limited editions sound interesting, seems pretty well worth it. It's also a good idea I think to get some cash pumped into the game without having to release a bugged product.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 9:03PM Suspiro said

Wondering about price of collector edition. Hope it's not ridiculously priced since not much is included

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 3:01AM Anatidae said

No way. Full loot games are GREAT for crafters. When I played UO I was the first smith to hit GrandMaster on the Pacific shard. I think for the first year of Ultima my GM skills were Smithing, Mining and Magery (so I could use gates to haul ungodly amounts of ore back to a forge for smelting).

The fact that players were constantly ganked and that armor wore out over time meant that there was always a need for my services.

People were also less attached to their stuff. You get used to dying and sometimes loosing all your items. If the game is not a item-grindfest like WoW, what you have is easily replaceable. Just like EvE, you loose your ship and tons of stuff but you move on because it happens to everyone. EQ invented the "loot = might" in MMOs and WoW enforced it so much that MMO players cannot fathom a more realistic sandbox world.

Now, as for crafters getting ganked. Well, if you are going to put in open world ganking and you want crafters, then you need to also put in tools for them to hide. In UO I could hide and mine. It didn't mean I was totally safe, but I stood a chance. Actually, I would say only 1 out of 20 or so times someone would actually search hard enough to find me when I was hide/mining. Since my Magery skill was high enough, I usually could get out of harms way fast enough anyway.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 9:31PM (Unverified) said

I really get tired of hearing people refer to this game as hardcore pvp. Yes, it has open world pvp and corpse looting, but it also has what appears to be the most complex and revolutionary crafting system in the history of the genre, true exploration, and a host of other 'world first, game second' features that I've been wanting since UO and early SWG. Why aren't those features mentioned first? Every article about MO starts with 'hardcore pvp.' Why?

PVP-tards aren't the only ones looking forward to this game, so please stop pigeon-holing it as such. There's much more to it than killing/dying/respawning/killing some more, though a lot of silly folks will no doubt reduce it to that.

/rolleyes

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 10:22PM Dblade said

Probably because it will be hard to utilize the revolutionary crafting system when the other 80% of the playerbase is trying to kill you. If mortal is full loot you are making a tremendous difficulty for crafters, who not only stand to lose gear, but materials as well.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 7:49AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, but you know that for every 100 people who are interested in a 'world first, game second' game, 99 of them want to gank noobs and only 1 is interested in anything else about the world.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 2:52AM Anatidae said

Sounds like a cool game.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 3:16AM (Unverified) said

Those three letters again... PvP. Lets see how quickly. this degenerates shall we. We need to organize a self help group for victims of PVP trauma.

"Have you been traumatised by watching a little cartoon character fall over for a few seconds before getting back up some where else, if so we can help! Call today and start rebuilding your life today from this devastating loss. All major credit cards accepted"

Nice ideas in the game, hope they can pull it off. Personally I'm still holding out for Earthrise for this kind of thing but the more the merrier. Surely one of them will turn out right .. :)

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 7:45AM archipelagos said

Can't wait to see people complaining about the fact that it has full frontal male nudity, with bits! Power to you MO.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 8:28AM (Unverified) said

I agree with Brian, full loot games help crafters, as it ensures a constant demand for their services. Couple that with a truly player-driven economy (no Bind on Equip/Acquire bullshit and 90% of in-game items crafted) and you have what looks to be a return to crafting's good old days, which I sorely miss.

Regarding PVP, I simply don't understand why people are such pussies about it. Sure, you're going to get ganked on occasion. You know that going in. What is the big fooking deal? You respawn, you lose items, yeah it will be a minor inconvenience and you might lose five minutes of your gaming time, especially if you're a dumbarse and forget to store your irreplaceables before you travel, but why people are so afraid of their avatar getting attacked is beyond me. I'm not defending gankers/griefers, I find anyone that intentionally tries to harm other people to be among the lowest forms of humanity, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really affect you unless you let it.

If the worst thing that happens to you today is getting ganked and having your armor stolen, you've got a pretty nice life.

I'll happily trade off having to deal with assholes for an immersive game world that isn't on rails.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 9:09AM archipelagos said

Some people like PvP, some don't. Some like PvE, some don't. Some like both! It's not a startlingly difficult concept to grasp that people like different things. I'm glad that MO is what it is just as I'm glad that other MMO's cater for other preferences - variety in the marketplace is a good thing.

I don't understand why people freak out when people don't like a game because it doesn't appeal to their personal preference.