Posted: Jun 26th 2009 2:11PM arnavdesai said

Hehe!! Speaking of Guild Wars patches, I was really really pissed when they had updated the AI a long time back to make the enemies less dumb. The biggest change was they moved away from taking AoE spells and would thus aggro onto your backline if the backline did not anticipate it appropriately. My guild used to help do missions and any given time we always had a few new players trying out the game. This led to so many borked missions because folks who came from other games were not so used to moving around(me being one of them). Range is such an absolute thing in Guild Wars and is one of the reasons I appreciate the game. It did not try to obfuscate its mechanics, they were out there in the open and the designers wanted you to play and improve your skills on them. While I appreciate the mechanics and the idea, its hard to rationally judge game updates as a player.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Balance is subjective. That is why it can never be achieved.

Equal enjoyment? Equal potential of what, exactly? All subjective. No one can get a bullseye on an undefined target.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 2:45PM (Unverified) said

Still... the GW balancing is a lot less painful than what I experienced while playing WoW. Maybe it's because most of WoW's balancing seems to be for arenas; and that aint my gig.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 3:21PM Tom in VA said

My biggest peeve with GW is that a lot of the skill tweaking was done to address exploits and issues that had come up in PvP, something I have ZERO interest in. : /

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 4:12PM arnavdesai said

They had this for a long long time but then some time back they divided the skillset into PvP and PvE. It meant that any balancing done for PvP would only be reflected in a PvP area and in PvE areas they behaved like normal PvE skills. This allowed them to tweak skillsets as and when then liked for the differing environments. It was one of things people complained a lot about and although they did not have to do it they went ahead and implemented it.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 4:52PM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars is a PvP game, so naturally most of the the updates will be for PvP, shocking, I know. PvE also doesn't need balance nearly as much as PvP does; as long as there isn't anything that's impossible to complete or a skill/skill combo that's incredibly broken, like Ursan Blessing, PvE can be left alone. The Visions of Regret nerf wasn't all that necessary, but Cry of Pain had a nerf coming since it was created. Hopefully Arenanet will get around to nerfing some more commonly abused PvE skills in the future (cough, Save Yourselves!, cough).

Posted: Jun 29th 2009 2:13PM (Unverified) said

my biggest problem with any patch notes is when

im playing a char for say a year only to have the patch notes suddenly reduce my char to the point of being i have never played before it like a new char.

in some cases they total mess up and go to far then after playing im left with so do i redo another char again or do i just del it.

if im playing city of X i have gotten to the point now i no longer make a lot of alts for that very reason i get sick of having to reroll the char. so i one play less and two i usually just Del char's.

i dont want to even go into the mess they have going right now

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 9:10PM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars was meant to be a PvP game. Now the focus has shifted greatly to PvE. Only time will tell if they'll make some new PvP content in one of the new larger updates.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 12:47AM (Unverified) said

The one game I've encountered that continues to grow and change without engendering the sort of knee jerk response typical of many MMO players is Magic the Gathering. The lateral expansion and evolving designation of what constitutes the "standard" versus "extended" or "legacy" types of play allows the game to stay fresh by essentially remaking it every few months. While the basic game mechanics remain the same, and certain archetypes transcend the various expansion and rereleases, the cards that make up your Type 2 legal "White Weenie" deck will probably be completely different in a year from now. Still the game, at least in the short time I played it, managed to walk to the tight line of having familiar enough, overarching mechanics, while still constantly introducing and adapting itself to new ones over time.

I'm not sure if or how one would apply such a system to a typical MMORPG but I suspect that some of the MMOFPSs releasing in the near future might come close. Any game with a short or trivial progression to the "endgame" and a focus on PvP as the central activity would be a good candidate for a TCG analogue in the MMORPG/MMOFPS mold.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM