Posted: Jun 25th 2009 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Never heard of a MMO company charging late fees and such usually if you don't make the payment the account just gets frozen until you do.
But then square has the most convoluted login and account set up and cancel method that they should be brought up on torture charges so I guess this is the next best thing.
I am still holding out for the guy that came up with Play Online to get strung up by his balls though.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 4:37PM ultimateq said

"But then square has the most convoluted login and account set up and cancel method that they should be brought up on torture charges ..."

I loled. It's very true though.

I can't see this case getting anywhere. If they do charge late fee's though, I do kind of want the dude to win. Because that is kind of messed up.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 3:00PM (Unverified) said

The next FF MMO won't be using PlayOnline, according to Massively, so perhaps someone learned their lesson.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 3:02PM myr said

Just reading the reasons for suing doesn't make much sense. Without reading the entire pdf linked:

One thing I do know that's screwed up about SE's billing is the fact that they charge you for the entire month regardless of how far into the month you are. Say you start an account on June 25, you pay 12.95 for the entire month of June, even though you weren't playing from June 1-June 24. On July 1, you're charged 12.95 for the month of July. If you're banned on July 2, I imagine you've still got that 12.95 bill for the whole month. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're suing over. I've never heard of anyone being charged "late fees" or "penalties" for paying late though. If your credit card fails authorization at the end of the month, you're kicked off, plain and simple.

"...it is estimated that the Class will be a number greater than 100,000..." sounds like they're getting at every subscriber.

This whole "Licensing of online games software disguised as a sale" thing could be pretty big for any MMO that sells a boxed CD. I never thought it was right that you had to buy the game and open the box to be in turn presented with an EULA that you have to accept, since you can't return the game after the box is opened (and cdkey exposed).

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 3:24PM Graill440 said

Lots of deception on playonlines part. If your not careful (and i had to do some digging) you will end up paying money for the free trial, that and the way playonline sends emails (frogster)results in isp's deleting them before they arrive, lots ofproblems, lots of fraud. After being told by playonline i would need to purchase a 10 buck CD key to run my free trial i said screw you to the company and game.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 3:45PM Kaio said

It is the customers obligation to read the fine print. You know the terms of agreement, yeah, its there for you to read.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 5:23PM happyfish said

If you've ever read a EULA they're not necessarily written to be understood by anyone. I imagine if people actually read and understood them, there would maybe be a handful of players in the MMO universe.

If companies really wanted to people to follow them, they would write in plain language that everyone could understand. As it is, they exist primary to cover their *** when they are caught in deceptive practices. Sure buying a house or car, I'll read the fine print... to play a video game? Come on now.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 4:23PM (Unverified) said

my 30 day free subscription was up on the 12th and i know that at the time that my card was supposed to be billed there was no money in my account. so if they truely stop your account if your cards declined then why is it im still able to log on and play??

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 4:36PM myr said

I imagine you'll be charged 12.95 for the month of June (12th thru 30th) at the end of the month, plus another 12.95 for July at the same time if your account is still active. The only time the ever charge anyone is at the end of the month when they do their "registration server maintenance."

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 4:36PM Seraphina Brennan said

They do this weird thing where they bill you at the end of the month, not the beginning of it. There's a set billing day for all accounts (the 28th I believe) so if you were still in your free trial period and you've recently gotten out of that period, you can still play until their billing date passes.

Yes, it really is awkward.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 6:56PM (Unverified) said

This suit is gonna fail :\
i played FFXI a few years ago and Square-Enix clearly stated that the fees are:

12.95$ monthly fee & 1$ per extra char.

I think that if you suspended your account and were to reactivate 1 monthly fee was for reactivation(char retrieval). dunno.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 11:34PM jmerriex said

I originally posted this on gaygamer but since there is a lot of confusion here it is again:

I can say first hand that most of those are crap but I DO think it's crappy that SE will close your account for non-payment of a subscription AND THEN charge you a fee (on top of the subscription) to re-open the account. If you don't pay in 30 days they then charge you ANOTHER interest fee. This can go on for up to 6 months (which is 3 months AFTER they deleted your character).

My story:

I started playing FFXI when it launched in the US. About a year later I started a new job and didn't really play much anymore because I had to travel 90% of the time. Anyway I continued my subscription because I was aware of the fact that *if* I canceled my account they would delete my character and it became a hassle to remember when I needed to pay them again every 2-3 months.

About a year later (this whole time period I had been paying them and not playing the game) my bank sent me a new debit card. SE tried to bill me... but guess what. That card was no longer in use. Since I wasn't playing (and truly had forgotten I even was paying them) I had no clue until they sent me a letter about 7 months later telling me that I owed them $432 and that they were going to report me to credit bureaus if I didn't pay up.

I am going to try my best to support this lawsuit and see if I can't get in on it myself.

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 11:34PM jmerriex said

Oh yeah and that doesn't include the fact that they take down the billing system at the end of the month when they are charging you so you cannot cancel or edit your subscription.

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 11:40AM Ozewa said

Does this have anything to do with the guy that got charged some $38000 by Playonline?

Posted: Jun 29th 2009 3:01PM Nathanyel said

Huh? As far as I know, WoW also has a free month included in the price of the actual game box.