Posted: Jun 24th 2009 5:38PM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
Do not get me known this game is good but I hope it fails like the marking trick got to end! There is no free to play! There is always a trick.... its more like a try and buy thing. So you are the best free player and want too raid.... well you will have to pay money for some zones to can level there or grind till you drop! Or hey if you want the best armor in the game will time to show us some green! And things like that. Or the so called grind 'till they drop at the new DDO Store.

I really want the main cost at front!

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 7:45PM (Unverified) said

There is no trick. The game is free to play for as long as you want. You could play the game for years and never spend a penny, same as any other F2P game. If you want access to the premium features you have to pay for, well, that's your choice.

The F2P model is a great way to get people to try out games they would never try if they had to buy a box or subscription up front, and is also a great way to play a variety of MMOs on the cheap when times are tough (like now).

DDO going F2P has renewed my interest in the game and got me to try out the free trial. Would I want to pay a monthly subscription for a game I likely wouldn't play every month? Probably not. Would I be willing to toss them some green commensurate with my use of the game? Yes, and that's the point.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 5:58PM (Unverified) said

For some reason I was compelled to restart my subscription to DDO, and pow I'm granted access to the beta a few days later.

I'm actually REALLY enjoying it. Turbine has really listened to fans and I'm pleased with how many problems from launch have been resolved. I hope now that people are more open to different MMO experiences (now that we realize everything doesn't have to be WoW++) that more people check it out when it launches this fall.

And it's free, or pay-for-use, or normal subscription. Your choice.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 6:17PM (Unverified) said

People, don't whine needlessly and join closed beta ; ). Remember, we're under NDA and won't tell a thing. You must wait or join us.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 8:30PM Ergonomic Cat said

The Favored Soul was introduced in the Miniatures Handbook, and updated in Complete Divine, which came out in 2004. So it's not exactly a new class. ;) NWN 2 had it as a base class as well.

That being said, it's a pretty awesome class, and makes a nice balance with the sorc/wiz options. I expected Druid, but this works too.

And yeah, it's free to play. They admit that you'll have to buy some parts, but there will be quests for everyone at all levels. Paid players will be able to give tokens to F2P to join them for a single run, and you can either earn Turbine Coins or buy them.

DDO is doing a pretty good job making F2P reasonable and attractive, I'd say.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 8:40PM (Unverified) said

Gimme mah warlock already! :(

Posted: Jun 25th 2009 1:09AM (Unverified) said

The new class sounds a bit like the Rune-Keeper in LOTRO

Swordsman launches today