Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 2:50PM (Unverified) said

Just a clarification: the Second Life Community Convention (SLCC) is not Linden Lab's event, although clearly they participate extensively. It is organized and run by a non-profit organization, The Future United. A multi-year contract was signed between Linden Lab and The Future United giving explicit permission to use their names and marks in 2007, thus why it is still allowed to be referred to as SLCC, and use the SL logo within the SLCC logo.

Unless something has happened recently that I don't know about, heh...

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 3:06PM (Unverified) said

I've had a few people involved (including some Lab staffers) over the last 24 months or so tell me that the SLCC seemed to be more like Linden Lab's show, and that "they seemed to be calling all the shots". That's pretty much my basis.

SLCC's always been rather opaque to us. There's no opportunity for any of us to attend, alas.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 12:04AM karnisov said

@ tateru: i find it ironic that the liaison between second life and the greater mmo community is not invited. more indications of linden/whoever having their head up their asses?

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 4:33PM (Unverified) said

What do you mean, "people involved"? Granted, I haven't been involved with the 2008 or 2009 editions, but have been in touch with the organizers enough to know they're still the ones running the show and doing the work as a labor of love. Commenting on off-the-cuff comments and rumors as fact does a real disservice to the hard, unpaid, and often thankless work the organizers and volunteers do.

I've got a legal contract in front of me which clearly spells things out legally. I'd be curious to know who's saying these things, but it sounds like they were off-the-cuff remarks, and not formal statements.

It is a shame you've never had an opportunity to attend, however, conventions have started to pop up outside the United States, which is good. All it takes is one person to get something started.

Regards,

-Flip

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 11:36PM (Unverified) said

やった!!!!!!!

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 11:09PM (Unverified) said

thanx for actually typing that, I was curious about the translation but didn't felt like hunting Asiatic chars and didn't felt this was important enough to justify a comment here

but now I'm confused, the translation google gives me for the 3 characters together doesn't really look like it would quite make sense in that picture in this article, and separating the characters makes even less sense, and combining just two and leaving the remaining one separated also gives another nonsense-like translation...is this some japanese meme? am I missing somthing?

ps:damn, I just realized that since I'm replying to a comment I myself will never get an email when a reply is given...Tat, can you talk with the devs or whatever they're called here and see if they can have it work more like Dwell on It in this regards please?

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 11:12PM (Unverified) said

lol, nvm, where Google failed Wikitionary succeed :D

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM