Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 9:33PM karnisov said

wonder how big the maps will be....

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 10:25PM Stanzig said

Tiny, it's match play. They should have sac'd graphics for large scale battles, but didn't...

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 10:34PM Who Plugged in the Overlord said

This. I really hate the reliance on instancing these days. While I'm excited for the game, you have no idea how excited I would have been if they dumped us in this huge seamless world with objectives and junk to battle for.

100 vs. 100? Yes please. It would have been epic. I want to see the Planetside model brought back, but no. No one will do. Let's instance this, and instance that. Bleeeegh.

Graphics are awesome, but you can't deny the fun factor of large scale epic battles like that, and gameplay, in the end, is what keeps people playing.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 12:04AM (Unverified) said

Yes game play does keep people playing. That's why there's an emphasis on it rather than promoting the zerg mentality that comes with 100v100+

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 3:23AM Who Plugged in the Overlord said

Fair enough. I see where you're coming from and honestly, I can agree. I had that issue while I was playing WAR. Whoever zerged harder won. Blegh.

I do hope they at least have one or two maps capped at those kind of numbers, rather than nothing but small scale skirmishes. For the record, I didn't mean the gameplay couldn't stand on its own without 100 vs. 100, just that it could benefit.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 1:06AM (Unverified) said

Funny.. as soon as I saw the jet packs in the various movies they posted my first thought was 'Finally! Someone got what made Tribes and Tribes 2 so much fun! Jet Packs!'

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 2:04AM (Unverified) said

In past interviews the developers have acknowledged Tribes as a strong influence. If the beta is any indication of that, I'll be there day one.

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 11:38AM (Unverified) said

This makes me sad there is no more Tabula Rasa. I mean come on who else played and thought it was great to get a few friends and defend the bases? That game had a really great sense of comradeship even amongst people you didn't know, you just knew that they were allies, and that you were all in it together. Teaming up in that game was more fun than ANY PVP match I have ever played. And I love PvP :/

Posted: Jun 24th 2009 12:44PM (Unverified) said

Count me among those that think this game, and its system...from what I can see so far, looks fantastic, but am more than a bit unhappy with the map system they are using.

The wide open battlespaces are one of many, many reasons Planetside delivers a unique experience. This game looks, in many ways, to be following up on that, but the decision to limit the fighting to small instanced maps is a huge step backwards, in my opinion.

I'll probably try it, but I'm not expecting to be converted based on the map aspect of the game.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014