Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 12:12PM Arkanaloth said

I too went back to Vana'diel about a month or so ago, the changes to the game have made it many times better but *still* challenging and even expanded it out to include soloability, something that was nearly impossible when it first was released.

I told friends several times that if it were possible to effectively solo, duo, etc in FFXI I would have never left it, well now you can and the result; I don't think I've logged into WoW for over a month beyond checking in on guildies there for a few minutes once or twice a week.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 12:17PM (Unverified) said

lol i'm in the same boat as you, scary how similar our circumstances are (started at 18, now i'm 24) but i'm on bahamut lol

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 12:32PM (Unverified) said

I recently started playing and our static is pushing thirty on advanced jobs, very entertaining :~)

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 12:33PM (Unverified) said

Right, we're on Phoenix...

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 12:55PM (Unverified) said

I started on FF XI and had a blast. I have tried to come back on 4 different occasions but every time came away frustrated about one main but simple thing. It was too much work finding the quest NPCs. After the ! and ? of WoW, FF XI was just too painful for questing.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 1:30PM (Unverified) said

Oh, how I envy you. I'm a citizen of Vana'diel going on 6-7 years, and I remember how exciting and new the game was pre-lv.30. Not that I don't enjoy the end-game battlefields and events, but sneaking past Orcs in Davoi to get my Paladin quest done... THAT was great. Or camping the Chocobo NPC with the gausebit grass to get it healthy so you could acquire your Chocobo license. Waxing nostalgic over here and I need to get back to work! Enjoy your return to Vana'diel!

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 3:17PM GreenArmadillo said

The leveling curve was always quick, smooth, easy, and soloable for 1-10. The issue, which you may avoid by virtue of having a static group, was hitting the Dunes, or, if you're in a PUG, more likely dying in the attempt.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 4:10PM (Unverified) said

I just started about two weeks ago on a 14 day trial, man thats gonna expire soon, and I must say that things are more welcoming, I wont say easy, because things can still be difficult. Its been almost refreshing after burning out on other MMOs. Still grindy, but getting subjobs, and soon advanced jobs have kept me playing. Even the crafting is getting its hooks in me. Join me on Titan =P

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 5:09PM (Unverified) said

I have also returned to Vana'diel after a 4 year layoff. I played FFXI for 6 months back in 2004-05 and after reaching nearly level 60, the thought of needing a 6 man party for pretty much everything was too much. I left FFXI and started playing WoW. After several years of WoW with no new interesting content since the WotLK release and no expansion in the near future, I decided to head back to FFXI. Having level synch and Field of Valor have made the game so much easier and much more fun. Some of the people that I played with back in the day have also left Azeroth and made their way back to Vana'diel. I'm fairly certain that I won't be playing the it four years from now, but I am enjoying it much more the second time around.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 5:58PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like you're having fun in Vana'diel.

But I'm confused, are these pictures of your adventures? Because if these are your friends in the pictures then they own extremely rare equipment... some of the best in the game. 2x relic Paladin and full Salvage gear Samurai and the Red Mage assisting with Diabolos is also very well geared.

And if you're fighting Diabolos, then there's clearly much more time invested than just levelling in Valkurm Dunes and Qufim.

Or did some friends furnish some of their screenshots?

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 6:17PM (Unverified) said

No these are simply from a gallery here at Massively. I'd love to take screens, but playing it on my 360 makes that pretty much impossible. Sucks!

Posted: Jun 22nd 2009 6:28PM (Unverified) said

Just as the other guys here, I too used to play FFXI. Back in 06 all the way to 08 infact. For two straight years I went back and forth between all of my jobs until i leveled every single beginner job to level 30. Alas, I ran out of money and there ended Artemist's life. Well, not really since he's still there. I went back to Vanadiel about 6 months ago with Artemist. Things had really changed! The Level sync made things all too easy, but fun at the same time. Playing with those high-leveled players was really fun. When that sub ended, I stopped, knowing that I would become hooked to FFXI once again. Now of days, whenever I listen to the sound track for FFXI, things get all too nostalgic and I remember the days of sitting at Selbina's entrance, waiting for a party for who knows - hours or days. And don't get me started on how much I miss my linkshell. Jaidyn and Nayuu, if you're out there, here's a shoutout. ;) Just so you guys know, the server I was on was Seraph.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 12:12AM (Unverified) said

I still play ffxi, and I am on fairy server. I have been playing since feb of 04. The game has changed drastically over the years, and some other additions that you haven't encountered yet are even better than FoV. Campaign battles, are fun as hell (part of the WoTG expansion), and offers a great way for lvl 50+ characters to solo xp.

As far as wanting to tank, you need to stop that war at 37, and lvl pld, or ninja after that. War's really can't tank well past the 30's. Pld is the premier tank in FFXI, while nin is the evasive tank (has problem on holding hate at times).

While you are back, you should get to 75, and finish the Chains of Promathia and Aht Urghan missions. CoP is argueably the best storyline in any mmo, period. It's also pretty challenging (even after they have nerfed it). ToAU starts off kind of lame, but the story picks up and is pretty good after awhile.

Enjoy your time back in vana'diel.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2009 4:02PM (Unverified) said

Ahhhh! The good ole days! I loved this game, I played it several months after launch. My good friends got me turned on about it. I loved the Final Fantasy franchise but never figured that I would like the MMO. Can anyone say "Crack!"... That is exactly what it was. I have never played WoW because of my love for FFXI. The community, the tatical game play, the story, and the random days of nothing to do so we would craft or hunt NM's. God I miss this game, I would love to come back.... but I am afraid that after 41/2 years of playing this game, I cannot bring myself to start from scratch. I am glad that this game is now getting some kind of recognition. It was truly a one of a kind game!

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014