Posted: Jun 15th 2009 8:38PM (Unverified) said

Many of these tracks have been free for the download from EVE's main game site for a long time now.. http://www.eveonline.com/download/music/

Posted: Jun 15th 2009 8:54PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'm afraid I would most definitely NOT buy that for a dollar.

I think the author of this article gives the music too much credit. I am a fan of a variety of techno, but found the EvE soundtrack to be dull and lackluster. To think that they expect anyone would pay good money for that music leave me quite amused.

Posted: Jun 15th 2009 9:01PM NoTomorrow said

I bought one of the songs a week or two ago, so they have been up for a while now. Odd that CCP just announced it today. Anyway, the song that I bought was my personal favorate, "merchants, lotters and ghosts", and I was dissappointed to find that the song was slowed down; the tempo was around 1/3 of the original. *nerd raaasaaage!!!!!*

Posted: Jun 16th 2009 1:13AM (Unverified) said

After the article posted yesterday here on Massively about how bad EVE's music was? I find that hillarious.

Posted: Jun 16th 2009 2:18AM (Unverified) said

I inexplicably like EVE's soundtrack.

Come to think of it, my love for the game itself is sort of inexplicable. Playing EVE is like being trapped in a bad 4-year relationship with a fickle, angry woman who drives you to alcoholism but you just can't leave because she's a wildcat in the sack. Or at least she would be, if she didn't lag you out the moment things started getting heavy (I kid, I kid (not really)).

Incidentally, the game client has close to 60 songs in .ogg format in one of the resource files. I just converted them to .m4a and dropped 'em in iTunes that way, since CCP never saw fit to sell the whole lot.

I'd buy it if they sold it.

Posted: Jun 16th 2009 6:57AM (Unverified) said

GKokoris: Not anymore. Since the Apocrypha expansion the audio-file are encoded in a special file format and not the old ogg-files.

cliff: I have to say I love EVE's soundtrack, even compared to all the electronic music already out there (which, not incidentally, seems to be a genre where you are only cool if it's only a handful of people knowing about a given artist *hops off soapbox*). But each to his own. Music is one of the most subjective things out there. RealX has some competition in Alienhand(.dk) who's been making EVE inspired songs and made them available for free, though.

As a soundtrack compared to other soundtracks I will defend it until my pod explodes. There are few original sounding soundtracks out there. Many are forgettable cookie cutter, nay crappy, shitty, cheap sounding, orchestral hack jobs. A notable exception in that area is the LOTRO soundtrack, which at times is fantastic work. Many seem to like Conan as well but I have only heard short excerpts so I can't really comment.

Arcanum, though not an MMO, had a fantastic original soundtrack with a string quartet-ish setup that many dismissed because it wasn't the usual uninspired orchestral crap. Forgive me if I sound bitter.

What EVE needs in the audio department is audio that is better adapted to a players current surroundings and or events that take place. If you're targeted the music should let you know the heat is on etc.

If I hear another "EVE has sound?" I'll probably go mad. In my opinion the audio the game provides, if well done, if what immerses me in it in the first place. Playing my iTunes list is...crappy at best and has no place in-game. AlienHand excepted, which is a bit ironic I guess since what I think is a fitting piece of music will not apply to everyone (anyone...?).

I'm just one of those people who think music is an underused asset, or the lack of it used as a contrast, for that matter. I actually went as far as trying my hand at creating a personal soundtrack for the far too quiet Asheron's Call many years ago (now lost on some broken hard drive) in hope to find a way to assign tracks to coordinates in-game.

Posted: Jun 16th 2009 11:51AM (Unverified) said

I can't even stand that music when I'm playing the game, why would I want to buy it...

Some tracks are bearable, but a few others drive me into insanity.

Posted: Jun 16th 2009 10:35AM (Unverified) said

I downloaded these legally from the eve site less than two weeks ago.
And if you have EVE installed, you have these files, which VLC plays no problem.

Im left asking why? The songs arent that epic and they are freely available everywhere legally.

So, why?