Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:12PM Taawa said

Thank you for the big laugh! The comic is great.

Regarding a Seventeen MMO, I demand a sandbox PvP server! Cosmetics could be used to buff, food (eating? ick!) debuffs.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:39PM ultimateq said

I think I laughed at the last part of your comment more than the comic itself!

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:20PM Thac0 said

This one was going to be a free realms comic but he didn't want to be accused of being payed by Sony all over again so he wrote 17 magazine to keep his sanity. Lol

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:43PM (Unverified) said

I was gonna avoid Free Realms jokes for awhile, but now it seems I've got a reputation to live up to.

When next week is a Free Realms joke, please thank THAC0. And Sony. For paying me. God I love money.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 5:16PM (Unverified) said

Mostly love your comics, but pretty easy to interpret this one as a bit homo-phobic. Just sayin.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 5:24PM (Unverified) said

Try to take it as more of a fish-out-of-water joke. He's clearly not a teenager.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 8:35PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

No no not at all. Homophobic would have been if he was chatting up two 17 year old boys. Nah, that is just a fugly trying to cop onto people online.

On the internet no-one knows you are a dog.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 2:45AM mysecretid said

Yeah, I took it as some creepy older dude trying to pretend online that he was (his idea of) a 17 year-old girl, so as to get "close" to actual teenage girls ...

Funny, Lemuel! Funny because we all know it's _true_. While the pedos sleaze their way around Free Realms, the creepy old men will be in the 17 MMO, trying to get with inappropriately young girls.

As such girls have been known to say: Eww. ;-)

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:14PM (Unverified) said

I wonder if Pedobear will be a raid boss in the Seventeen MMO.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 8:36PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

No, he is in Free Realms. The kids are younger.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:40PM ultimateq said

The comments are so freaking funny.

Posted: Jun 14th 2009 7:40AM MewmewGrrl said

The sad part is, this isn't just a joke, it's also very true...

I don't want to sully the joke or anything, but as a young girl growing up online, I found many old men creeping around what was supposed to be games for young girls and kids, asking for my phone number, pictures, talking dirty to me, and I was just scared to tell my Parents in fear they'd take away my net access. And they really would have said "I told you so" and took it away, rather than helped and been supportive. I wish I had the knowledge now back then, I wish I had the same backbone I learned to grow over the years, I wish I really told off the old perverts who in their 50's, learning I was 10 told me how great it was that love knew no age boundries. I wish I reported the 30 year old guy who sent me pictures of his wiener when I was 9 and told him I DID NOT want to see them when he asked.

While the joke is funny, it's also scary and true. There will be old perverts lurking around on anything made for younger children. I'm not talking about the older people who just want to play a family game and have fun either, there are real perverts there too, lurking and looking and there just because of the young kids they hope to have opportunities with...

Posted: Jun 14th 2009 2:04PM HackJack said

I know this will be thumbed down to hell but let me tell you what you experience on the internet from the age of 9 made you a much wiser person.

I'm a guy so I didn't share the same type of experiences, but I can loudly claim that having surfed the net since the age of 9 under no kind of restrictions made me a WAY better person. So yay for varied experiences XD

Posted: Jun 14th 2009 4:22PM mysecretid said

Sorry you went through all that, Mew.

In the end, it comes back to parenting styles, I guess. There are parents who think they should "protect" their kids, but go too far, and it makes things worse (you knew your folks would just yank your access, and this ended up exposing you to a lot of rough things).

If they had tried to _empower_ you instead -- helped you deal with what you encountered -- it might've all been less harsh, but parents can only work from what they know.

This struggle between whether to protect your kids or to empower/educate your kids goes on even today -- I see it among friends of mine who have young children.

So again, I'm sorry you had to go through what you did, and I'm relieved you didn't become another victim. As the other poster said, it has evidently made you wise and savvy now, but the price you paid for this sounds higher than it needed to be.

Best to you.