Posted: Jun 12th 2009 5:17PM jmerriex said

Anyone smell that? It smells like lag...

Seriously though, I am cautiously optimistic of this idea. Could be fun!

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 5:23PM Halldorr said

I'd love to be able to play with some nice ladies from overseas (wut!?!)...seriously though I like the idea but I wonder about lag for those playing across the ocean.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 5:29PM (Unverified) said

Excellent news. Champions may have me subscribing, will have to wait and play it.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 6:09PM (Unverified) said

Good luck to cryptic dealing with all the e hatred.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 6:44PM (Unverified) said

If they get more than just their servers in the US they have currently, I'd be really happy about this, but I can see that causing problems possibly

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 6:52PM (Unverified) said

Great... I knew there was a catch to this otherwise super-wicked sounding game.

Lag? Probably.

Germans and Russians flooding chat? Absolutely.

Don't get me wrong; I don't mind Germans. But it seems to me that they have 15-billion more MMO players than everyone else, so whenever you get a mixed server that absolutely take over the place.

But, say what you will, all Germans speak perfect English. It shames me that I speak even my own language poorly!

But Russians... ugh... I had to move servers in WAR because they claimed an English server as the official Russian server, and (personal experience here) they were all jerks. I know there are some nice Russians out there but I don't think they play MMOs.

This is poor idea. One server per language please. UK/US/Etc - English server. Fine. Everyone one server - massive cultural and linguistic fail.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 5:28AM (Unverified) said

@Claw

Germans are usually not that good at english compared to fx. the scandinavians or the dutch (in general, ofcourse) because of their tendency to stick to their own. You rarely see germans (and russians) mingle with other nationalities other than their own in games unless they really have.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 8:50PM (Unverified) said

Its a misconception that their will be lag just because its a UK/US game. I have a number of UK friends and we've played alot of games together. There latency was usual only 10-30 more than mine. Hell there's been times where they've had better latency than me.

Usually the reason companies do seperate servers has more to do with language barriers and time zone issues. My UK friends went to a different wow server because they could never make our raid times.

Seriously though this is a good thing. Some of the best gamers I know are from Uk.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 9:49PM (Unverified) said

oh boy. I'm kinda scared by the General Chat channel..

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 11:52PM (Unverified) said

I'm an American who is stationed overseas and it's cool with me...not that I'm going to play Champions.
It's always a big pain in the arse for us picking which version to get and then we always end up playing off-peak if its US...but then you don't want to necessarily get a local version because we move around a lot.

Just looking at the replies...some of you need to get over your xenophobia.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 5:34AM Yoh said

Way to go Cryptic, glad to see a development studio that actually can think for itself. Thier may be lag issues, but from playing EVE, thats something that can be gotten around.

Sounds like it'll be a good game, one which I may play.
(even thou I dispise super hero games)

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 6:28AM Purkit said

Its called the World Wide Web for a reason ;)

Thank you Cryptic for allowing everyone to play together. I have friends from all over the world, it will be fun to finally play together with ALL of them again.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Thank god City of Heroes failed in Asia. I do not play with Asians after my experiences on Lineage 2, Shadowbane, FFXI and a few F2P MMOs.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 3:41PM Pingles said

This seems like a ridiculously optimistic claim.

If they become even a moderately popular MMO is it possible to keep that many folks in-game? Especially at launch when EVERYONE is in a starting area?

I'm no expert at MMO architectures but keeping track of that many people in ONE gameworld seems daunting.

Posted: Jun 15th 2009 3:03AM (Unverified) said

This is dreadful and has basically turned me off the game already.

Being an "Oceanic" player is on WoW, I've vowed never to get involved in another game which doesn't provide local servers - well any sort of action game.

I don't think the Europe/U.S. latency is as bad as Oz/U.S. but it's still there and causes problems. Even Blizzard which refuses to locate servers in the Oceanic region admits latency can be an issue which is why they located their servers in three locations across the U.S.