Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:35PM Bueno said

This is probably the best promotion I've seen for E2. All of the content for $10 makes me want to give this another whirl.

My only problem revisiting older games that have this much new content is the feeling of being so far behind that you'd never catch up to the vets.

Overall, this is a hard one to refuse. Fantastic price.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:46PM jwoelich said

I love Steam, for many reasons, one of which are all the discounted games they offer, at almost silly prices. However;

The thought of downloading *all* of EQII through their servers...it took the better part of an entire day just to download Mass Effect over Steam. Can't imagine how long it would take for EQII.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:59PM jwoelich said

That being said, bought EVE, just because.

Again.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 7:58PM (Unverified) said

Wow, only £4.99 That's a steal. I'm really considering buying it - just to have it because it's so cheap.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 8:38PM TheJackman said

Not buying it :) However I am real pissed I did pay almost 50 bucks for Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures when it first was release!! Later it was 19,95 and now its 9,95. this game just keep on burning me :((

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 9:35PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I was one of many who got cheated when Steam just got released resulting in them demanding me to buy Half Life 2 again because of their failure. Any company that mistreats their customers so badly in the first days is a company I blacklist for life.

I wouldn't use Steam if they gave 10 games and 100 bucks for free.
They don't deserve a second chance after what they did in the early days.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 10:52PM Nadril said

Not only did I not have a problem with Half life 2 the first day but really, you're crazy over reacting. Steam is probably one of the best services out there and not giving it a shot because you were so "wronged" 5 years ago is just stupid.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 8:39AM (Unverified) said

I too will never purchase any product via Steam ever again. I have not and will not forgive them for the fact that when I had a week-long internet outage and thought to play a single-player game - Half-Life 2 - I was unable to because their invasive copy protection which treats me, a paying customer, like a criminal, and would not allow me to launch the game without an active internet connection.

Screw them forever. I'll stick to physical boxes where at least I own the disk, and am not at the mercy of their servers to be able to use the product I paid for.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 4:44PM Nadril said

@The Claw: not their fault you didn't read the requirements on the fucking box. And you only need an internet connection to set it up, then you can play offline just fine.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 6:41PM (Unverified) said

Nadril, no, you can't. That's what everyone said to me at the time. I asked them to disconnect their internet connection and fire up Half-Life 2. None succeeded. Feel free to try it yourself.

Posted: Jun 16th 2009 7:13AM (Unverified) said

No response from Nadril.. guess he tried it and found out I was right.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 12:35AM EndersGame said

I'm gonna go ahead and pick up EvE I've been wanting to try it for a while

Are there any good guides for a new comer?

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 11:55AM Anatidae said

I picked up Eve again and this time ran the tutorials and the profession tutorials. After that you will have a good idea on the interface and have a handful of ships plus probably a million ISK or so. Their new starting stuff seems to be much better than the old.

Pretty fun. I prefer to be cockpit pilot, but I am sort of getting used to being a commander of a crew. Once you move into a ship that can target a few things at once, combat gets a lot more interesting.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 2:15AM mysecretid said

I'd go back to EverQuest II for $10 in a heartbeat -- except that it's almost impossible to solo in that game past the early levels.

Seriously, I expect that there will be certain non-solo content in an MMORPG, but unless you're playing a straight-out tank class, it gets really hard to do anything past level 20 or so ... I didn't want to quit, but I literally couldn't find anything to do past a certain point, if I wasn't in some sort of group.

Not a knock against EverQuest II -- I really liked the game, and expect I would still be playing it today -- but it's designed primarily for group or guild play after a certain point, it seems. Just a heads up.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 3:43AM (Unverified) said

I don't know when the last time you played eq2 was, but it is significantly easier to solo in since Faydwer came out. If you google eq2 wiki solo timeline you can see how to solo from 1 to 80. I Started a character a year ago, everyone was 80, but if you are proactive enough, start forming your own groups, and solo in between, you can get to 80 no problem. At 20-30 you are in butcherblock mountains. They recently redid both everfrost and lavastorm, gave them a lot of quests (especially everfrost).

Certainly some classes are harder to solo than others (clerics and bards), but the rest aren't so bad. Doing Quests grants AA, so its much better than grinding, and with TSO now out a few months, people will be back to playing alts before the next expansion comes out probably in November.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 3:05PM Oneiromancer said

I have to agree with Maji. EQ2 is very solo-friendly now, almost all the group content has been removed from the overland zones and sent to the interior dungeon zones (like the instances in WoW, except that most of them at low levels aren't instanced). There's still tons of group content, but soloing to max level instead of grinding is perfectly viable.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 3:55AM Jeremy White said

I'm interested in Guild Wars. It has no subscription right? Is it worth going into now or should I just wait until GW2 or just wait for another completely different MMO?

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 6:30AM Minofan said

Well it is very much a love/hate kind of MMO (I love it myself), but yes it's subscription free so I don't know how anyone can resist at least trying it cheap.

GW2 is still a long way off, and your achievements in GW will be rewarded in it anyways - so if you turn out to like the franchise better get started on them right away!

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 11:58AM (Unverified) said

I just started playing GW and am having a blast (level 10 monk). I'm a WoW vet who got extremely burnt-out and bored in LFG and dailies since friends quit the game.

Graphics are great. Storyline is awesome. Gameplay is very different. You can't jump, swim, and you cant fall off any mountains. If you're okay with that you'll most likely enjoy the game.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 6:26AM (Unverified) said

Hey guys,

Can someone/people give me some honest feedback on EQ2? I played it pretty soon after launch as my first ever MMO and i never got to the end level (highest it hink was about 50 in the Desert Zone). I then quit it for WoW which i played for a bit.

I had a break then to see what the game was like again but my computer coundn't handle it so i went back to WoW. Once the new expansion (the one before Shadow Odessy sp?) hit I tried the trial for it and liked it yet i didn't go back to it partly because 1. I was having fun in WoW and 2. i didnt want to start again and learn everything that had changed since last time (exactly what mysecretid said eariler on in the comments)

So my main questions are 1. Is it still possible to level a noob character ( in the sense of picking up the key mechcanics and stuff) 2. Are the expansions still used to level through? I loved the desert expansion and didnt really get to the know the Kingdom of Sky expansion due to time constraints and finally 3. What would be the best advice on choice of servers?

Thanks!

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM