Posted: Jun 12th 2009 3:12PM (Unverified) said

Back in the day of the dial up BBS there was a game called MajorMUD. I loved that game a lot. At first people played it manually. Eventually though, it became all scripted with languages found in specific telnet clients...to the point where a full blown application was made to facilitate the process. It's called MegaMUD.

Anyhow, people would basically just run their megamud's 24/7 in scripting locations trying to maximize the amount of EXP per hour and such. That was the appeal.

There actually still is a majormud community the last time I checked.

I digress however, my point is that some people enjoy watching their characters progress without having to do anything themselves. The best analogy that I can come up with is any type of SIM game. You set the variables, you press go, and the thing runs.

Personally I think this game will do -alright- based upon that. What would actually make or break it is what they do about dungeons or bosses later on in the game. If they allow people a place to utilize their scripted or botted characters by hand and engage in a boss fight for gear or something, then I can see this game finding it's niche.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 3:19PM ultimateq said

That's a unique point of view. All of that is very interesting.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 3:20PM Seraphina Brennan said

Actually.. yeah... nice point of view on that. Not my style, of course, but nice POV.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 3:21PM Thac0 said

well you hit the nail on the head! The entire genre of MMOs is so stale boring and grindy Jade Dynasty's breakthrough development is to have the game play itself because everyone is sick of grinding in mmos, there isn't ONE game that doesn't have a grind. If there is please tell me.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 6:04PM Halldorr said

You KNOW what one...you bring the van, I'll bring the candy...

Posted: Jun 18th 2009 2:41PM (Unverified) said

I have found one MMO that seems like it will eliminate the grinding factor. . .APB (All Points Bulletin). If what they're saying about the game is true, then when it's released it will focus on PvP with little to no grinding. They don't even have a level system but instead you as the player suposedly become more expeirienced and can become just as good as someone who's been playing for 2 years in a matter of days. Again that's if what they say is true.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 3:39PM TheJackman said

Really can be get a ban on this Grindy crap junk that give mmos a bad name!! And if it plays it self can be just forget about it all together :)

Please we need some real breakthrough mmo I am about to give up on all this... I do not want a crappy pvp mmo in my view PVP sucks!

I want a real WoW followup something that complete match the account of PVE content or got more of it! And does use the open world thing I do not want be stuck in instant zones and so on!

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 3:54PM fanguad said

I "played" Progress Quest for years. My Battle-Finch Inner-Mason got to level 300 or so before I graduated.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:07PM Malixe said

I think that on some level the point of enabling people to go AFK for EXP or to activate a "bot-mode" is to try and combat the inevitable botters that show up to any MMO. In this case, the developers probably figured that by enabling everyone to do these things, as opposed to just botters, it should diminish the impact that botters have on the game. On some level, I suppose it could potentially work, but at the same time it's still just stooping to the level of botters.

And like Ataraxy said, I think some people might enjoy being able to watch their characters level up with minimal input, especially if they can control which monsters to kill and which skills to use. A meta-game could develop around finding the best combinations of spawn locations, monsters, and skills to maximize EXP gain.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:20PM Gaugamela said

There's this little thing that every game has to achieve for players to have the minimum of enjoyment in it: Suspension of disbelief.
Right now, it is becoming harder and harder for MMO developers to achieve this (in my opinion this was one of the strong points of vanilla WoW). As more experienced a gamer becomes, less and less he has this feeling and if you couple that with the average attitude of a normal MMOer, who likes to analyze stats and improve his character the best he can you have an explosive combination that makes grinding much more aparent.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:21PM Gaugamela said

Another point:

This is a farmer/botter wet dream of a game.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 4:29PM (Unverified) said

No one that criticized your opinion column last week forgot it was your opinion column. But labeling something an opinion column does not mean you can present conjecture as fact. Your last column read more like a preview of a game that no one truly knows anything about, talking about its game system, its bucking of the MMORPG trends, and how it WILL have this and we can be SURE it will have that, or that its CERTAIN to do this or that, all based on one phrase "FF14 is a final fantasy first"

Anyway, this week's column was good. I completely agree with you about the importance of story in MMORPG's now. In the early 90's I hated First Person Shooters, it wasn't until games like 007 Goldeneye, Half-life and the like that we started interacting and having a plot. It is like that now with MMORPG's.

I played LOTRO for several years, and I absolutely loved their Epic storyline. Its a little detached so that those that do not care for it can still raid and carry on the old school style of MMORPG's, but for those that want to go through a story line, its there. Final Fantasy XI was a pioneer in that kind of story telling with its cutscenes and structured quest lines. Before that Everquest had its Epic Weapon quests which were the forerunner of continuing story lines as well.

Still, I'm not sure an MMO has hit it right yet. There are a ton of Korean MMO's coming over recently, and I find myself back in 2004 all over again with them, a few of them are even waaaay back in 2000 with their mentality toward MMO's.

On the other side of the spectrum, some are taking story into MMO's so much that its effectively just an online multiplayer game with an MMO label on it. Instead of finding playing partners in a text chat room, you have your central hubs(rooms) with virtual avatars to walk around and hunt for them. It doesn't feel "MMORPG" to me when you can't roam the entire world. To me games like Guild Wars and Hellgate London never felt like an MMO, and I'm beginning to worry for SWTOR being the same way.

We're getting closer and closer to the breakthrough, but if we have hit that breakthrough I haven't played it yet. But then again, how much of the MMORPG formula can we take out before its not an MMORPG? Can we take out raid tiers? Can we remove reliance on loot? Can we do away with persistent worlds? If it allows more story where do we draw the line?

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 6:04PM (Unverified) said

i think the designers of this game have realized that a lot of people are bored of mmo play style. which is virtually the same in every game. every mmo is pretty much wow when it comes down to the actually gameplay. think about it. if they offered this feature in every mmo, how many would use it? just about every1?
i think this really points to the fact that people really dont want to actually play (the physical act of controlling and using ur toons) these games anymore. some1 out there needs to think of a new combat system for these kinds of games, something that is fun and makes you want to play, like the first time u played these games.

imagine if u bought a new xbox game like gta or something. the gameplay isnt very good so you put it on auto-pilot (somehow) because you want to see the end of the game. thats pretty ridiculous for a product you just paid $50 for. probly word would get out about what a bad retread that game was and no1 would buy it, but i think pretty much every mmo-er would put the game on auto-pilot if they could. which leads me to the question, how much fun are current mmo games realy?

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 8:42AM (Unverified) said

FINALLY some coverage of ProgressQuest on Massively, this criminally under-rated game has been ignored for far too long.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 9:08PM (Unverified) said

Honnestly, i didn't really have much of a thing for the Guild Wars lore until Eye of the North came out, the cut scenes were improved alot and I acturally found myself enjoying the story telling of the game. I acturally wanted to read what the quest tellers had to say instead of just accepting it and going to the green star to kill stuff.
I think it also let me ingage in the story because i loved pre-ascalon and gwen.

I beleive story telling is somthing that is drastically declineing in recent games, not only MMOs. Acturally most recent games acturally feel like grind fest. Go shoot some people and I'll show you a cut scene, make a huge army and then go destroy the other army.....

I miss the days when adventure games were at the top of the gaming ladder, and how story telling was one of the key features of games.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 9:51PM (Unverified) said

Every 8-14 months I go back to Diablo II. I've played the game many times to completion, leveling and bartering my way up to well geared level 80+ characters from scratch. The story, loot system, and class mechanics of Diablo II are so well thought out that I will play for months all the while feeling like the experience is fresh even though I might be running the same end act boss for the hundredth time. Eventually though the game loses its lustre and my focus, at least the last couple times, has turned to more meta aspects of the game.

One of these is botting my character for mid level items. Instead of actively playing my character, I would design and level a character that would be capable of killing select mobs for loot while wearing "magic find" gear. Diablo II went from being an action RPG to an efficiency and inventory management game. Testing new routines for my bot script, organize my hourly haul, advertising and selling my wares - these are interesting experiences in their own right and I suspect for some, sufficient to carry their interest as the primary mechanics of a game. As Ataraxy pointed out, some people do find this more abstracted and removed type of game compelling; and if it's free to play, why not?

Posted: Jun 14th 2009 7:50AM MewmewGrrl said

For the most part, nobody is forcing you to use that system. You can play the game normally. Just because it is an option, doesn't mean you need to take part in it. You are there to do what's fun for you, why didn't you try the game normally from 1-30 and see what happened, if you found fun in it or not? Don't worry if other people are using the system, just do what is fun for you. Don't use a system and then complain about it, unless you NEED to use the system to level up.

Some games, like Ether Saga, have a pretty nice sounding main storyline. Some of the quests are really as if you have a purpose in what you are doing, it all seems really cool, but then you hit about level 21-25 and stop nearly dead by how slow you level up. You nearly have to use an auto leveling system (which is in the game, but not the Cash Shop, you have to do certain things to earn the components to use it for a brief time) in order to get higher level and do the fun and cool parts of the game. There is a nice game there, under the grinding, and that's what I want to know about Jade Dynasty too.

Despite the kill x and gather x quests, is the story nice? Is the fighting when you're NOT using the auto system any fun or cool looking? Is the rest of the game neat? You didn't even try it out, you just took the path of least resistance...

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 4:03PM (Unverified) said

You forgot to mention that below lvl 30, you have the ability to 1-hit KO you with your ultimate first skill: Heavy Blow. It makes it easy to train on mobs 10 lvls higher then yourself. You can smack 'em down in two single strikes!

Though, my other point of view is that I actually like this game because of it's botting feature. I haven't got much time to grind by myself, though I like PvP etc. The best PvP is with the highest level, right? (Well, at least with someone of the same level).

Moreover, I haven't got the money to pay for such games. And even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend it on a game. This makes the game somehow more interesting since you have to find your way to gain some money for your potions etc.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM