Posted: Jun 11th 2009 1:15PM Aganazer said

Their color pallet makes me want to take a shower and have some antibiotics.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 1:51PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, the first couple of screenshots look horrible.. like Quake 2 without any lighting.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 3:01PM Evy said

I hate to agree, but the graphics are really turning me off to this game. Ugh. Quake 2 all the way.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 3:22PM (Unverified) said

It is fun in the beta, but ya the graphics seem a little ol school, yet still seem to somehow chug on my SLI system. /shrug
fun though

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 4:17PM (Unverified) said

Lately I've been disregarding the part of the NDA that says I can't say I'm in beta, so why stop now? One of the reasons these screenshots look bad is (I'm pretty sure) that they're old screenshots. Massively doesn't do the game any favors by featuring dated screenshots because more naive players simply assume they're current and that the game's graphics are bad. The game as it is now in beta (and there is no doubt that further graphic polish is coming soon) has great textures, good lighting, shadows, etc.

Anyhow, graphics aren't everything, and they're one of the less important factors for me personally. I always think it's kind of sad when someone blows-off a game without giving it a legitimate try simply because they think the graphics aren't cutting-edge, but to each his own I guess. Icarus deserves props; they've been working on this game from the bottom up (even designed their own engine) for years without all the rich, popular publishers helping them.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 4:25PM (Unverified) said

These screenshots were provided to us by the Fallen Earth team specifically for this dev diary.

I actually agree with you 100% in your last paragraph, and have spoken in my mind about it in the latest Massively Speaking podcast . For the sake of a fairly innovative game, I hope more people share your opinion.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 12:01AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the info on the screenies. I didn't mean to (and should have done a better job pointing this out) accuse these particular shots as being old since I was not sure. Given that, some more flattering "photography" would definately help; there's just something about the game that these shots fail to capture. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing the game full of life now that screenies just don't look right to me /shrug.

Honestly, the graphics as a whole make me think that this is how an MMO would look if Valve made one. That may be good or bad depending on who you are, but my first thought on the graphics/artwork when I really saw it up close was, "Hmm, 'Valvey.'"

I'm breaking NDA like a fiend, but with open beta "coming soon" according to whats-his-face, hopefully they won't catch me or care too much about my [intentionally] vague leaks. FE has had an exceptional closed beta period, players and team, and I hope that FE has an equally productive open beta.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM