Posted: Jun 10th 2009 1:38PM dacool561 said

Will I still have to buy the retail version of this game or is it going completely free to play and download with optional VIP subscription? When will it start? Can download it now and play now for free?

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 2:04PM eggmanjr said

They have said free to download and play. Start date is "later this summer". Apparently its in closed beta testing right now.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 1:57PM (Unverified) said

Nice title picture. I never did the titan myself.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Yes you can use the trial vs now and play free for 10 days, go to:

Enjoy!!!

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 2:25PM wjowski said

• 1 heart
A desperate attempt to save a tottering game. Turbine ought to be ashamed at how badly they've abused this IP.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 2:45PM ultimateq said

You know, I almost want to be mad at you for saying that. But frankly I've thought the same thing.

I don't like how you put it, but I still agree with the thought.

I don't like to see any game die, period. So I hope that this measure will help save the game in the long run.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 2:58PM (Unverified) said

They wouldn't have had to do this if they actually listened to the playerbase on the forums. The signs of this game being ready to collapse have been recounted on there, both with and without viable solutions appended, for well over 3 years.

What happens is someone comes along and says "DDO won't work for long, guys, this experience is slow and terrible because I don't have 300 hours per week to play this game! It's going to fail, but could be fixed by doing thing X."

Which is answered by members of the same community, loudly making fun of that person for proclaiming that "the sky is falling". Then they are made fun of for not being "hardcore" enough to stick with the game. Then they are told that the game is absolutely fine and better than every other MMO. Then they are reminded that 3 years have passed with people proclaiming that the sky was falling and nothing happened.

Guess what. The sky fell. DDO now has one final step to take before being in MMO Purgatory with Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst.

The good news: Mabinogi and Domo aren't tough competitors.
The bad news: Turbine may have learned something from this experience, but I doubt the general MMO community has... the "hardcore" crowd of an MMO, if listened to by developers, can drive said game into the ground.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 2:52PM (Unverified) said

DDO is a great game... the only problem with it is the amount of content that you have to repeat.

Being able to play around with it for free is something that any MMO player should definitely give a shot... and before you start whining about what you have to "buy" to progress or "buy" to experience, just remember that the industry commonly charges $15 a month (That's $180 per year) even if you only play that particular game 1 day per week.

DDO's new model will let you spread that $180 out to cover the time period that fits your playstyle, making it one of the few truly casual-friendly MMOs... and trust me, it's much, much better than your other "free" MMOs, which all engage in the same exact kind of "microtransaction" anyway. I've tried about 10 of those things.

Bottom line: If you like the MMO genre, and the fantasy genre, and you didn't at least give DDO a try, you're either too low on cash (and thus excused), or you're an idiot. Now that it's free, no one gets a free card. You try this game. If you don't like it, don't buy anything. If you do, buy things in appropriate measure.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 4:01PM (Unverified) said

Well, I'm going to give DDO a shot when the free time starts. I've been looking for a good free MMO to play with friends that are too "casual" (or cheap) to pay for a subscription.

I got them to try WOW with the 10-day demo codes but you can't really get to the fun stuff in WOW in 10 days.

I've tried a few free MMOs but none have been good enough quality to really enjoy playing.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 4:29PM karnisov said

i've been saying for a while they should implement randomly generated dungeons, that would do wonders for replay value. if dungeon runners can implement it, it shouldn't be that hard. i think turbine half assed it in execution and look where its got them.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 3:03AM (Unverified) said

"Bottom line: If you like the MMO genre, and the fantasy genre, and you didn't at least give DDO a try, you're either too low on cash (and thus excused), or you're an idiot."

You know... AD&D ain't = fantasy. Plenty of people who likes MMOs and the fantasy-genre, but dislikes AD&D and dungeoneering.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 5:38PM (Unverified) said

I love the core of the game, but DDO's problem from day one has been content. There's just not enough there to do. Unless you want to grind the same dungeons over and over and hook up with any PUG you can get, it gets old in a hurry.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 7:06PM (Unverified) said

Rambie: I've done the same, no free ones available are worth getting my friends involved with... but, DDO is something that is very easy to enjoy, assuming they don't butcher it completely with the new model.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 3:48PM (Unverified) said

Thanks jkjudgex, like Evi said, I may drop WOW and subscribe to DDO if it gets my friends into the game.

We tried ROM but it's too buggy.

Posted: Jun 11th 2009 3:17PM Evy said

Well, I plan on finally checking it out once it goes F2P. Who knows, they might even get some money out of me. ;)

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 6:19PM (Unverified) said

Does anyone know if I will have to purchase the cd key to play it for free. I've spent about 2hours browsing there website, but if they have a free cd key or way to play without one. I've yet to find it. I don't just mean 10 days, f2p should be f2p. If I've missed something please tell me.