Posted: Jun 10th 2009 7:32AM MrGutts said

I like going to the sister site, but damn it gets disheartening at times when reading that stuff over there.

The majority of the same people who troll the main wow forums and make it so wonderful are trolling that site as well.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 8:43AM (Unverified) said

Great post. I always support the refinement of terms. The only thing I could add to this well constructed article is the idea that maybe a categorical (2 group) system is not adequate. Obviously, for ease-of-conversation it makes more sense than using a continuum or range of "hardcoreness." However, hard core vs. non-hard core is probably too simplistic. The language and mentality just happen to be rooted in the MMO culture deeper than that chasm of Khazad-dûm. Nonetheless, it seems that even a non-raider could be hard core if they sink as much time into questing and crafting, especially if they are passionate about the game. If, as the author (Robin Torres) says, having a yardstick of measurement for "better and worse" is the key variable we simply have to add more variables: time spent, items crafted, marriages ruined (kidding), gold earned, weapons advanced, characters at level cap, PvP rank, passion, etc. Measuring this is clearly difficult. It could end up looking like the Drake Equation but let’s keep forging the term. Who knows, maybe we’ll get a new legacy out of it!?

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 1:11PM happyfish said

I used to think of myself as a casual player, probably playing no more than 2 hours a day. But then I read a post somewhere, where someone pointed out doing 2 hours a day at a gym, or running, or doing pretty much anything else would make you pretty hardcore. In that sense having two terms to encompass such a diverse landscape that is the MMO doesnt make much sense. Because certainly there are people who log on for more than 2 hours a day and are still pretty much useless at the end of their session (eg me in FFXI), I wouldnt really consider them hardcore.

Posted: Jun 14th 2009 8:04AM MewmewGrrl said

I really am a casual player. I will play a game only a few hours a week. I spend more time reading websites about games than actually playing them.

I do know that as a Casual Player, I want to jump in and have fun for a half an hour and then take off. Most current games I play, that just lets me grind a few monsters for a tiny part of a quest, and so I get bored and quit the game.

I keep looking for the right game for me. FreeRealms has been working pretty well, because I can do a couple of full quests in my short time I have to play. I quickly warp where I need to go, I don't spend a lot of needless time running around or grinding, it's really worked out well, but still I'd like a more traditional MMO that works out great for a casual player.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014