Posted: Jun 9th 2009 12:53PM (Unverified) said

They will get my cash. Then they get 2 months. I think the real key will be, do they have end game plan, and implemented at launch. I won't rush there, but some will and if they don't have anything to do they will complain and quite taking along their freinds. I will probably like to play other classes, but would like to explore the world at max level.

Posted: Jun 9th 2009 1:21PM ahac said

>>> Next year, the game will show even stronger at E3 and follow that up with a widely marketed release date landing sometime in holiday of 2010.

In that case... my prediction:
Blizzard will announce their next MMO at Blizzcon or WWI 2010 to take some of the hype away from Bioware.

Posted: Jun 9th 2009 1:21PM (Unverified) said

I'd just like to say that the game will actually have player characters voiced as well as NPCs (it says only NPCs near the beginning of the article).

Posted: Jun 9th 2009 2:04PM Tom in VA said

KOTOR impressed me on the story front, but not so much on the combat front.

Thus, while I am optimistic (unreasonably so, I'm sure) about the story elements and the graphics of SWTOR, I am a bit concerned about the combat mechanics. Will they be overly complicated and clunky as in KOTOR? I certainly hope not. I am also uncertain about how "group-dependent" I may be in this (or any) online game.

Still, I think this will be a fun game. For now, I'm back in WoW, but I'm biding my time.

If the folks at Blizzard have any savvy at all (and they certainly do), they need to do something really special to keep WoW fresh and special against the likes of SWTOR. For one thing, WoW needs to institute some kind of mechanic to keep players interested and playing. My suggestion(s) would include:

--Make the level 1-60 areas free to play or charge a reduced sub for it
--Make the level 1-60 dungeons soloable or by scaling them down or (better, imo) providing NPC parties (think Guild Wars-style heroes/henchmen) for them
--With the release of the next expansion, do the same for the Burning Crusade zones

WoW/Blizzard (the 500-lb gorilla, so to speak) must be watching SWTOR very closely. It wouldn't surprise me to see WoW's next expansion make a quantum leap forward in terms of depth and, yes, story.

Whether WoW keeps me or I switch off to STO or SWTOR when those games are released will have a lot to do with how effectively these MMOs (yes, I know what "MMO" stands for) handle the single-player versus multiplayer balance and content. I think waiting around to find and form "balanced" groups for instances is one of the very worst features of most MMOs.

Posted: Jun 9th 2009 2:38PM Holgranth said

""Blizzard's owes as much of their unexpected success to timing as they do to game design""

You really went there? Scratch that..... you actually think that?
Out of curiousity what about Warcraft's 1,2,3, Starcraft and Diablo? All timing?Luck?

I have to disagree STRONGLY with you there buddy.

Luck and timing has probably gained WoW three or four million subs MAYBE but its the quality that keeps people coming back..

Posted: Jun 9th 2009 9:28PM clerkenwell said

First of all, three or four million subscribers is an insanely huge number, so I wouldn't bandy that number about like it's a paltry amount. And I don't think he was disputing the quality of Blizzard's games.

That said, I do think that calling it 50-50 game design/timing to account for Blizz's numbers is simplifying things a bit. It might be a similar split like that in terms of keeping subscribers, but in terms of getting new ones, I have a feeling it's a bit more complicated than that. Personally, I think that, at some point, WoW hit a critical mass. They got so many subscribers that people started playing because everybody else already was. Forget game design and timing, I think that popularity begets popularity, or in WoW's case, more players begets more players.

Posted: Jun 9th 2009 11:42PM (Unverified) said

@ Holgar

"You really went there? Scratch that..... you actually think that?

I have to disagree STRONGLY with you there buddy.

Now Credit where its due Bioware make good games but this sounds just too good to be true."

..So, by your own volition you admit that said timing has had anywhere up to a 25% impact in WOW Subscriptions?

no, srsly tho, ur rite. not much at all....

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 11:58AM ravenstorm said

Hrm, why do you think there won't be a new WoW expansion until late 2011? More likely, the next expansion will follow a schedule similar to Wrath — a big announcement at this year's BlizzCon, followed by a release in late 2010. Seems like 2009 would actually have been the ideal year to launch a big new title.

Posted: Jun 10th 2009 8:33PM RogueJedi86 said

After reading this article and talking with some friends, I never realized just how important a release date is. TOR will have to release either a few months before WoW's third expansion, or several months after, when WoW hype is down. If players are in a WoW lull, they'll be more apt to try another MMO, so you gotta release it during a lull in the Top MMO. Like the article touched on, that's a big starting reason for why Warhammer and Age of Conan didn't have a stellar start. So for the sake of TOR's sales, I hope BioWare/EA will time the release of TOR to be during a WoW lull, when people's minds(and wallets) are more willing to wander to other MMOs.