Posted: Jun 8th 2009 1:57PM (Unverified) said

Love the maps, but the combat looks a bit clunky. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I get to try the Beta to really form an opinion of it's a buy or pass.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 2:14PM (Unverified) said

Glad to see Fallen Earth getting some coverage. I've been following its devepement rather intimately, and I have no doubts that it will be very successful. I only kind of skimmed the video, but I'm pretty sure the demonstrator had some minor facts wrong. For the most part it was a pretty informative video to get the gist from.

I'm quite glad that they're being very clear about the whole Fallout craze, and I'm also glad that the demo showed melee combat. It seems like a lot of people think this is going to be a very FPS/gunner oriented game simply because it has a targetting reticle and guns, but this video is a step towards showing there's more than that in Fallen Earth. I hope they start showing more of FE's diversity as launch approaches--particularly all the non-combat aspects (RPers rejoice).

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 2:41PM (Unverified) said

looks all a bit robotic and clunky to me, and I'm not a fan of the UI. Lots of time until release though

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 2:47PM (Unverified) said

I was thinking that too, but I think some of the robotic/clunkiness was due to the player's clumsy handling of the game as well. If the guy talking was also the guy playing, he seemed like his attention was very divided.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 2:45PM (Unverified) said

Oh cool, a Fallout MMO... no... wait... aww. Now I'm not interested.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 3:15PM Miffy said

I played this round my friends who got into beta the other month and it wasn't bad for a small developer but it felt so 2001 and tbh right now I'm looking for something upto date.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 3:21PM Graill440 said

You nailed it right on the head, 2001'ish.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 3:41PM CCon99 said

You completely nailed it, in fact 2001 might be still a little generous. =(

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 10:28PM (Unverified) said

I don't quite understand what qualifies something as "2001." Could you enlighten us not-so-trendy types? I'm tired of playing pretend and eluding the NDA police (are they really going to track me down from here anyhow?) and say that after months of betaing this game, it has improved and continues to improve at a tremendous pace. I'm not sure if 2001 refers to graphics or gameplay or what, but all I can say is that it's a wonderful-looking game that will do more than alright for itself. Good music, too ;-)

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 3:33PM TheJackman said

Will be funny that when the Fallout mmo really comes out people go like "Hey look its the Fallen Earth 2 mmo!!" ;D

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 4:18PM (Unverified) said

Im guessing he hasent heard of a MMO called Neocron

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 11:05PM (Unverified) said

I'd never heard of Neocron either, I had to go look it up. Despite it taking place hundreds of years after a nuclear war, the descriptions and images make it seem to have more in common with a cyberpunk future than a post-apocalyptic one. Or on other words, nothing at all like Fallen Earth.

Comparisons to Fallout are unavoidable. And not a bad thing. Much like Warcraft has become the big name in fantasy computer games/MMOs, Fallout is the primary name when it comes to post-apocalypic settings. Aside from the most basic setting concepts (mutants, radiation, harsh living conditions, scavenging the past for goods) Fallen Earth shares little with Fallout, and in some ways improves on the model. And of course, a Fallout MMO, if it ever is made, is going to be years away from being released thanks to the legal issues.

I for one am in the beta wait list and look forward to trying Fallen Earth out. Either in beta, or when it is released.