Posted: Jun 7th 2009 3:28PM Tom in VA said

While I am mildly interested in this game and think the environments look very good, I have to admit that I am more and more put off by the Aion character models, which appear to me to be very "girly" for both male and female avatars (based on the screenshots and video clips I've seen of this game thus far).

I guess the idea here is to make the characters look very lacey, ethereal, and "angelic," but I cannot say I like the "look" much in terms of the character models I've seen so far. I actually prefer the crude and unpolished look of WoW's dwarves or orcs to the prettified beings of Aion.

The wings, if anything, make the characters look even worse.

I appreciated the article, though. Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 7:47PM (Unverified) said

I was saying the same thing in another post. The characters are (my opinion of course) SO androgynous its hard to look at. It just breaks the whole "suspension of disbelief" for me. I never really liked the anime style of characters of the eastern MMO...just yuck.

"Is that a girl? or boy?"

As far as flying....Vanguard has unrestricted flying mounts.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 3:47PM (Unverified) said

It feels like the game says "Oh look we got wings and you can fly!" and that's what everyone is looking forward to and then they add invisible walls, restrictions for where you can fly and for how long. Even WoW got better flying than that. I'll probably buy Aion but from that I've read thus far can't say I believe I'll like it.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 5:34PM (Unverified) said

Oh you mean like how you are limited where you can fly in WoW also? Like no flying in the old lands.. ect?

I fail to see how one is different from the other. I am sure there are reasions both of them have restrictions on where and when you can fly around.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 5:43PM Myria said

Not to take sides, but you honestly can't see the difference between not being able to fly in Old-world Azeroth and hitting invisible walls?

Seriously?

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 7:51PM Angelworks said

I think the fact that WoW can compete at all considering the age of its engine, and the age of the game itself is a sad statement against ncsoft.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 12:14AM SgtBaker said

EVE has unlimited flying btw (and plenty of flying PvP) ;-)

Ok, seriously now - this game seems "pretty" and I was looking forward to it, however now the more I read about it the less I actually want to play it.

Definitely not a "3rd-gen" MMO and I'm starting to think there's bit too many "oh, look we've got gimmicky feature x, but nothing else - come play us" - I guess I just want something different for a while - the "generic fantasy MMO" genre has been covered very extensively by WoW-EQII-Lotro-WAR-AoC already. I can't see this game bringing much new to the table.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 1:27AM (Unverified) said

As far as I'm aware there's no time limit in WoW and neither are there any invisible walls in the flyable areas, then the ability to only at some places evens out. So with that logic WoW has better flying. And then WoW doesn't even have very great flying at all.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 9:55AM Snow Leopard said

He’s kind of right about flying in WoW. Sure, you can’t fly in the old world zones, but on the continents you can there are no invisible walls popping out of nowhere and keeping you in place. That to me, just destroys the suspension of disbelief. I’d rather be prevented from flying than be constantly humping the invisible fourth wall.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 5:03PM (Unverified) said

From the looks of things, Aion is the the MMO that everyone loves to hate. Maybe that's why they decided to hold its release here in the West until all the annoying bugs were squashed.

NCsoft committed a big mistake with TB, taking it offline and all, and many people still haven't forgotten. As a company they have to work hard in proving to their customers that they also care about them, not only their money.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 10:00PM TheJackman said

The feeling you will get when you get your "Wings" is the same like when you got your first WoW mount!! So its pretty good. After this moment it all going downhill :(

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 10:26PM (Unverified) said

Aion offers flying combat and it's fun. There are levels of wings too. You can PvP outside Abyss, attack Asmodian's towns by random portals called Rift. That's what i've got from China version.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 10:08AM Tizmah said

Glad too see we have another MMORPG everyone is ready to bash. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone bash Champions next. Then Final Fantasy XIV.

Hint: The eastern market doesn't go for all this "freedom" we hail that's so great. It's not in the Asian nature of the term freedom, that's why they are all right with it. The western market hates and bashes anything if it restricts them in the slightest of ways.

It's not bad design, it's just a limitation to keep things in a more controlled enviroment. Which is why I don't like "sandbox" style games honestly. To many random things happen and so many rules the engine has to keep up with that it just never can.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 1:27AM (Unverified) said

Aion won't revolutionize the genre, but it's a good MMO.

You CAN make non-androgynous characters. There are some good 'Western' models to build from. Game client is one of the best I've seen performance-wise. Quests are run of the mill but no less fun that the average WoW quest. Flight, while limited still enhances gameplay and is a blast. I got a taste of PvP in the Coliseum and potenital is great. I can't wait to face off against the other faction! Aion is a beautiful game, a worthy addition to the genre, but it's not groundbreaking in any way. I'll still be playing at launch.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 7:50AM Wensbane said

In short, this is STILL not the MMO that will drag you away from WoW/LOTRO/EQ2/Whatever. Look elsewhere for that.

With that said, it could very well be a great "first MMO" for a lot of people. Those who have yet to experience the "same ol', same ol'" we've had to endure for the past ten, or so, years.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 10:39AM (Unverified) said

Wasn't that an NDA I agreed to when I was setting up my Aion account? How are articles like this done if NDA is effect?

Anyway...

Installed the game, played for 5 minutes running around. Graphics are nice for environments, but I really don't dig the "asian" style or whatever. Just my opinion though.

Since I realized I had 3 months free in CoH thanks to the TR cancellation, I've been playing that quite a bit.

Posted: Jun 27th 2009 5:32PM (Unverified) said

So what I get from these comments is...

The game is bad cus the players look like they arent real (thought it was advertised as a fantasy game.)

and...

They dont let you fly everywhere (Shocking???)

Why aren't any of these comments about the PvP, gameplay, gui, etc???

Arguing over trivial stuff is rather childish.

Posted: Jul 27th 2009 6:54PM (Unverified) said

This is a game that will pull me from WoW. Ive been playing since WoW beta and still love the game but want something totally new and different! I left EQ2 for WoW but still love that game too. AION will have its naysayers just like all the MMO's out there. Bugs, glitches, patches are all part of it. Some will stay, some will go. I'll stay to see how it fairs! And flying here will be completely new in that its not on a mount that costs an arm and a leg. BUT your own wings which is totally cool :)

Swordsman launches today