Posted: Jun 6th 2009 4:25PM Miffy said

I dunno the game has some weird generic ugly look too it like it was made by some small budget developer. Would much rather see Rockstar make GTA Online or something.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 5:59PM (Unverified) said

Ever played Crackdown? Probably not (this an MMO site after all), so take my word that Crack ran well, and looked decent. It didn't blow anyone away in terms off sheer graphical power (so not a Bioshock), but it wasn't bland at all and detail didn't suffer much when a lot was going on screen. If you don't have a 360 or refuse to play games on consoles, go rent it and play it at friends house...if you have friends ;)

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 3:07PM ultimateq said

Graphics, especially in MMO's are wickedly over-rated. I would rather play a game with average or even sub-par graphics if the mechanics worked well.

I'll even be so bold to say, that I'd rather play an MMO with sub-par graphics, because that means when there are more than 10 characters on the screen it will probably run better. Raids and cities will run smoother.

When Everquest 2 came out, it was just a bit to much. Graphics were fantastic, but no machine could really handle it. You had to force the graphics down substantially, and that not only took away from immersion, but lowering the graphics so far also made it more difficult to see things (at least for me). Because the textures were so huge, that everything bled together. But that was the only way to run it on my old Nvidia 5900, with 756mb of (computer, not video) ram.

Having an MMO that pushes the envelope, graphically, can be a dangerous move. Potential players who would be happy to throw their money at you are now pushed away because their machine cannot handle the complex graphics/physics.

A perfect example of how to approach graphics is Freerealms. I've not used a computer that hasn't been able to run it at a playable speed. Yet the game looks pretty good, considering it's art style.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 3:09PM ultimateq said

I would also like to add that I think the graphics on this game actually look pretty good. Fantastic use of lighting, and good skin tones.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 6:22PM drunkenpandaren said

How does the Character Customization now stack up with the older videos of it from GDC08? Because that video was pretty boss at the time. Needs more 1-up Boxers.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 6:27PM (Unverified) said

The customization down to cars and music sounds like alot of fun!

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 6:44PM Xanderkun said

That's fine and dandy, the character customization mechanic is coming into it's own in todays generation of MMO's but how does that attribute to the weapons the players use; will they also benefit from this customization system the same way as the vehicles, clothing and characters? Would be nifty if I can keep modding out my 1911 with additional ware as I level or progress, nothing has bothered me more then having to give up an awesome looking weapon for one that's better in stats.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 9:11PM (Unverified) said

awesome customization indeed!

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 11:59PM (Unverified) said

When I first saw that pic I thought this had something to do with Techno-viking. I'm a little disappointed now....

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 3:32AM (Unverified) said

Just because you made me conjure up images of the Techno Viking and that it looks like he belongs in this game, I will probably have to give it a shot.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 12:48AM Nottom said

Have they shown any actual gameplay?

I'm not following this game at all, but I worry when a developer shows off it's character customization without showing any gameplay.

I think enough MMO's have come and gone by now to show that if the gameplay isn't solid, the other bells & whistles are meaningless.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM