Posted: Jun 5th 2009 2:50PM (Unverified) said

True! And I'm glad that you are saying as much because I think we need to address the unfortunate perception that SL is nothing more than griefing episodes.

However - and I say this with much sadness and regret - I was deeply shocked today when, for reasons that are not relevant to this comment I dropped in on Help Island looking for a Linden and discovered, to my horror and amazement that there were a number of shady characters there parading as "helpful residents," talking a blue streak, arguing loudly and hurling profanities at each other via voice and pretty much ignoring the poor newbies who were passing through.

If this had been my experience during my first login to Second Life, I can tell you without hesitation that it would have been my last login - EVER - and that I wouldn't have lasted in SL more than a NY minute.

Something drastic and permanent needs to be done to make this stop. Absolutely ghastly experiences await poor newbies. How is it possible that this is allowed to continue??

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 4:19PM (Unverified) said

I agree that the new user experience must be rectified, but so long as Linden Lab holds monopoly over the first-time user experience, new players will continually be at the mercy of the rampant asshattery that seems to plague the new-player areas. Sadly it seems that Linden Lab seems to be incapable or unwilling to project any really control to the new player areas, and I'm unaware of any resident group with the sustained willpower to act in their stead.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 7:14AM (Unverified) said

This is a really good point. Maybe if LL developed partnerships with resident groups, who could each maintain and police a themed welcome area, the situation would improve. They could set it up so that new users could go to a welcome area tailored to their interests.
I was very fortunate - on my first day I more or less got picked up from my welcome area by a nice lady who hooked me up with some decent-looking freebies, answered my questions about how to customise my avatar's look, and made me feel, well, welcome! I wish more people could have that experience.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 4:22PM (Unverified) said

@Bettina Agreed. The problems with Help Islands and initial user experience are one of the biggest issues for SL and LL seems to have little or no interest in addressing them.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 4:53PM Mr A said

• 1 heart
I don't play Second Life, but based on what I've read about it and its users, it could just be that the game attracts griefers because it seems to be filled with the sort of overly sensitive, politically correct people that suckle at the teat of liberalism that griefers love to play with because they whine so much when they do.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 5:04PM Graill440 said

"overly sensitive, politcally correct people that suckle at the teat of liberalism?"

Is it just me or did Mr Digital screw that statement up? I thought the point of being a liberal is to not be sensitive and not be politically correct.

Now conservatives, those are some nice genteel folks to screw around with.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 5:55PM (Unverified) said

Mr. Digital is right, unless you arent American or know nothing of politics I dunno how you could think that liberalism would be the opposite of PC : /

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 5:17PM (Unverified) said

I think the previous poster, claiming that SL attracts griefers because it's full of bleeding hearts, is probably one of these very trolls the article purports to be about. The reader is cautioned that any claims made by individuals about themselves can just as easily be false as true.

That aside, Linden Lab has been taking a very architecture-centric approach to solving the griefer problem. It does make its service more stable, but that's only one half of the problem The other half is the customer dissatisfaction with the overall experience, and Linden Lab has yet to address any of this.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 5:34PM (Unverified) said

I dont miss the attacks on NCI @ all, but man those were the days i could ban someone every few days and file 2-3 or more ar's a week! lol

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 5:52PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Have you considered that the griefers just got bored and moved on?

Maybe claiming this happened, or that happened or that the number of users is "burgeoning and swamping them" is just over-analysis. Maybe after 4-6 years they actually just got bored.

Heck, even on the SL Herald you can see the drop so clearly. Where once the comments were filled with griefers... now so few.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 6:14PM (Unverified) said

Two words: Grey Goo.

LOL

Wowzers. Yes, the lab has indeed turned the grid rock-solid. I've commented on it before on my own blog.

New user experience is pitifully sad as described above. But also pitifully sad is that the Lindens also are often at the short-end of the stick perceptually speaking.

They work hard, like we all do in our "day jobs" - the difference being the grid (and support of it) *is* their 'day job'.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 6:40PM (Unverified) said

I kinda miss the times where the griefers still thought they were significant but mostly they weren't, it was fun to survive a near-crash of the grid and study the remains of the attack and such

nowadays many people would say LL causes more grief with their policy and code changes than griefers do with just about anything they can try, and in some cases, the intensity of the hurt caused by LL to many people is actually bigger than what the grid griefers used to do

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 6:42PM (Unverified) said

Mr Digital,

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who admittedly does not play the game...

I've met all kinds from all sides (liberal to conservative, etc) on Second Life. It's very diverse.

How about you log on and have a look around? I will gladly take you from the NRA area to an Obama shrine in minutes.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 6:43PM (Unverified) said

I wasted my first on Mr Digital, so I get a second for the topic.

These idiots who peddle grief are such a bit player now it isn't even funny. When they do strike it's minor and gone quickly.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 12:16PM (Unverified) said

I brought a group of newcomers into SL today at Caledon Oxbridge. As I expected, it was a totally pleasant experience. This is possible because the Oxbridge staff of resident volunteers work very hard to keep it that way. Griefing is dealt with immediately and not tolerated. This applies not only to obvious disruptions but also to con avatars who try and target newbies. When you have 49 sims full of creative, caring people, anything is possible. :-)

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 3:18PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The question to ask here is why this topic, now, from Tateru? What is driving her? Did the Lindens put a bug in her ear, or is it a slow news day?

The idea that you get to be griefed because you are outspoken -- which is essentially what Tateru is saying -- means that she is objectively inciting griefers to do just that, and is heedless of the consequences. That's disgraceful.

I'm with Bettina on looking at this as not just some individual sim and its attacks, but what happens at infohubs and welcome areas. They are atrocious. The Lindens are absolutely disgraceful for not getting a handle on them. Their inaction for years now, letting them go from bad to worse to criminal is an outrage. I've written enormous wads of stuff on this. I don't know what stands in the way of progress.

But...one of the things that stands in the way are newbie helper cadres, like Tateru was once herself, who don't really help newbies, who are part of the problem, and who block more systemic reforms so they can keep their privileged positions.

Posted: Jun 7th 2009 12:55PM (Unverified) said

That's the most blatant and silliest non sequitur I've seen in quite a while.

Con artists often target the elderly.

Saying that does not imply that I am cheering on con artists who target the elderly, nor that I am urging them to do so.

If anything is disgraceful, it's your sophistry.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 4:22AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
No, not a non-sequitur, which is merely your literalist thinking at work once again, but a double red parallel line running right from the notion that "griefing only bothers people who are outspoken" through "therefore griefing isn't that much of a problem anymore" straight on through to "therefore those people who are outspoken are causing their own problems."

Very classic innuendo, seen it a million times, and from Tateru particularly.

Posted: Jun 8th 2009 8:28AM (Unverified) said

But she didn't say any of those three things. Maybe you've seen it a million times but Im not seeing it once

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 6:39AM (Unverified) said

I must admit in my five years or so in SL, I've only been griefed the once. I don't think it's that much of a problem as people make out to be honest.

I've witnessed more reactions and comments than actual grief.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly