Posted: Jun 5th 2009 10:08AM (Unverified) said

This is what games are all about.

E-thugs, and E-peens. I have several friends who fail miserably at deriving value from their real lives, or demonstrating higher value for the external validation.

Online games and Personas let us do that. I love that I can see how much better I am than this kid over here. And I intend on letting him know. And his defense will be to call me racial slurs and insult my sexuality. and he can get away with that, because aside from hacking into a server, or ip tracing like a pro, I would have to just go around punching random ppl in the face till 6 billion later I finnaly find the 12 y/o kid and get arrested!

first?

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 10:51AM (Unverified) said

I'm trying to figure out why you'd have to go out of your way to tell someone that you're better than them at a stupid game?

I know a lot of people in WoW that are pretty elitist over things like gear or achievements. What I always thought was funny was that they base so much of their worth over an avatar. A lifeless little thing that they pour hours and hours and hours into, and for what? What's it going to get them? When they're old and reflecting on what they've done in their lives are they really going to look back on the hundreds of hours they put into these games and go "wow, what a great life I've had" or will they go "why the f**k did I waste so much time doing that?"

Playing a game is fine, competition is fine. But just remember that the person you're thinking about talking to might not be as well geared or as good of a player, but to make up for it he's got a great family that supports him or a commitment to schoolwork or a rewarding career to take up the time he could be putting into this instead.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 11:04AM (Unverified) said

Exactly, people who cant stack up IRL try VERY hard to Stack up Ingame. then Flex that epeen, So an online identity, is not a loser with a deadend job, hes a Champion who is clutch and people are glad to see and know online.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 11:31AM (Unverified) said

Tim writes such great pieces, albeit long ones.

I think online anonymity is mostly an illusion. And I think most of us, especially the younger the person is, is quite fine with it. We often now relish in our online persona's, and they, for many, have become as much a part of who we are as our given names at birth.

This is the Facebook, MySpace, Twitter generation, we allow any one a view into our lives, and as we do so, our anonymity disappears, and we are more accountable for what we do online, which I feel is a good thing.

Anonymous has been known to misbehave.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 8:25PM (Unverified) said

The MMO space still lacks a set of universally accepted and strong social norms to govern player behavior. In a world of nigh complete anonymity and seemingly little consequence to one's actions - even death is but a temporary impediment - it is no wonder that many people struggle with the "face" they want to present to this virtual world. The very topic that Tim's addressing, anonymity, puts the lie to the argument that "it's just a game." People always bring elements of themselves to the virtual space, even if the character they assume is an ironic or contrived one. Game developers, and we as players, need to get clear on what expect these communities to be: either sandboxes for our fantasies or extensions of our everyday experience. I think the trend has been towards greater transparency as more people adopt and recognize virtual communities as legitimate extensions of their meat-space counterparts.

Posted: Jun 6th 2009 8:14AM HackJack said

The various virtual worlds we can jump in are nothing more and nothing less than... realities. Exactly like our "real world". The only difference is they have other "laws of nature" (built by the gods which, in these cases, are men themselves). Who tells you you're not in "the Matrix" right now and, above all, what difference (towards better or worse) would it make to live in "the Matrix" or in the "real world"? None... they would simply be different experiences. Not better nor worse.

The practical "impracticality" of choosing to live in a virtual world is that the virtual world itself requires sustainance inside the "real world" (i.e. electricity) so this point breaks my above reasoning.

So, as long as we'll have to sustain our bodies in the "real world" and as long as we don't have a way of creating self-sustaining virtual realities we can upload ourselves into, we will be forced to live in the "real world".

Remember that NO EXPERIENCE and I mean NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL is time-wasting.