Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 4:20PM Gel214th said

To answer this question we would need to know When TOR is due to be released.

Is it the end of this year?

March of 2010? Summer of 2010? January of 2011?

there is an unusual amount of hype for TOR, in my view. And eventually people are going to get saturated with information about the title. In my view, all these releases (is it almost one per week now?) only makes sense if the launch date is Holidays 2009.

And so far we've not seen anything to indicate the game is even close to being launched on that date.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 4:25PM (Unverified) said

The trailer isn't a hype. It's a teaser. Not for the game's gameplay, but for its story. Story-telling is BioWare's trademark, which can be experienced in all their games, especially the KotOR series of which this MMO is based.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 5:47PM (Unverified) said

Leave it out lads, all games get massive hype at E3. That's one of the reasons E3 happens every year, to hype upcoming games.

I don't see anyone getting up in arms about the publicity Mass Effect 2 or Assassin's Creed 2 are being given along with n to the power 5 other games that are getting a ton of hype poured over them at E3, some of which aren't due until well into 2010.

SWTOR is being singled out because it's a Star Wars project and everyone almost expects it to fail, partly because it's Star Wars and partly because of SWG. I placed a lot of faith in Bioware back in October to get the job done right and told everyone who asked me that they'd do good by the Old Republic IP like they had done before. I feel now a small part of that faith has been repaid, and I'm hoping to see even more repaid in the coming months.

I think Q4 2009 is a good release time for the game. Cold dark nights mean people in doors with nothing to do. Perfect time to release an MMO :D

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 5:52PM Ingrod said

Title and Lore are hyped, game absolutely not. Period.

Where are the hype about games systems? Links, pls.

No word for the companions, space combat, combat skills, story system, progression, etc., in the last eight moths, that is hype?

Mythic hyped their game system from day 1, in 2005, Bioware announced his game in the third production year, Mythic inclusive hyped the creation of the cinematic trailer for WAR, none know anything about SWTOR cinematic until yesterday, and is waaaay superior to WAR cinematics. Saying que Bioware is "overhyping" his game is a joke.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 6:21PM Tom in VA said

Well, I think the SWTOR "hype" is great. I find the information about this game very interesting and it raises my interest in getting this game once it is released -- in other words -- it is doing *exactly* what it is supposed to do: pique my interest and whet my appetite for more (information).

I can't help comparing SWTOR to another game in development: Guild Wars 2. GW2 is probably the most underhyped game I've ever come across, leading many (though not me) to believe the game is never coming out at all. I think NCSoft/GW2 is making a huge mistake by remaining so tight-lipped about their game. It's basically sending a loud "screw you" message to Guild Wars fans, who want to stay interested in the franchise but aren't even being given any crumbs of official information about the new game. For myself, I loved Guild Wars, so I'm still interested in GW2. But I think it stinks that they are saying nothing -- NOTHING -- about the new game.

Better to get too much information out there than nothing at all, imo. And, in the case of SWTOR, I think their level of "hype" is just about right.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 7:46PM Evy said

I don't feel overhyped yet. E3 is all about hype. They're doing fine so far, IMHO.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 8:52PM (Unverified) said

Tobold = "Hey, look at me!"

This sums up his blogging cuisine: stir frequently.

Posted: Jun 4th 2009 11:40PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like someone has penis envy.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 10:20PM Pitt said

Bioware doesn't have to hype shit. They already have the reputation of making great games.

So when they do hype something, you can bet, it's going to be epic.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2009 11:16AM Anatidae said

Yes. All MMOs are overhyped these days. I am starting to believe that the press machine should launch at the time the MMO is ready for open beta. At that point, sell me on your game so you have something to deliver soon.

Honestly, I have been finding myself burning out on the games way before they actually ship. Especially since they constantly ramp up the press so high to keep my interest, then delay their ship date. The best time to make me spend some emotional dollars is to sell me something.

I mean, look at Apple. Now that is good hype. Apple announces a product and it is available within hours/days catching the emotional buyer completely.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2009 4:41PM (Unverified) said

This is just your usual "Stir up the pot and get comments to drive readership" stuff that the Massively / Joystiq writers enjoy dong.

TOR was almost flying under the radar - I was looking at the size of the threads dedicated to it on both Something Awful and Neogaf, and they were tiny. Prior to E3, other than the videos being released on their website, Old Republic had very little promotion. I was actually worried that people weren't interested because there seemed to be no one talking about it.

Now Lucasarts is finally starting to ease people into the game by promoting it at E3 and showing a great trailer, and it's "Overhyped?"

I don't see how anyone can say this game is Overhyped if they have followed this game's trajectory / promotion at all. Bioware is planning to make this a AAA fully fleshed out PvE game, and wants to go toe to toe with WoW. That means making people aware of the game and getting them excited for it. Sorry, but I don't agree with the premise of this post one bit.

Posted: Jun 4th 2009 9:57AM (Unverified) said

Am I missing something here or is Massively ignoring the fact that there was a playable mini-demo showcasing a few of the classes and various planets at E3? I haven't seen any coverage or analysis of what was shown on what is my main source for MMO news. See below:

Posted: Jun 4th 2009 4:02PM happyfish said

Look at the fact the 2nd most commented post on massively is SWTOR stating its going to be the worlds first fully voiced MMO. Whenever I see the phrase "worlds first" in a game advirtisement, it generally means (at least to me) do not buy. I'm pretty sure when the game comes out, first fully voiced will mean only plot progressing/essential NPCs will have voiceovers. But who can tell with all the hype! :p

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 8:46AM Seare said

I loved this video purely as a Star Wars fan. This video represented how I always dreamed Star Wars should have been in Eps I, II, III. If those episodes or the Clone Wars cartoons were as good as this small video, they would have satisfied me for the rest of my days. I don't care that there is no actual gameplay in this video and I don't care that it's suppose to generate hype. I'm just thankfull, as a Star Wars fan, that someone other than me gets it. Someone knows how to take Star Wars to the next level. I loved that video (can you tell) and I thank Bioware for making it.

Posted: Jun 13th 2009 10:38PM (Unverified) said

According to my friend who works for EA and tests games, Q4 2010 is the target date.

That could change if WoW decides to release their next xpac around then.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM