Posted: Jun 1st 2009 12:47PM Cendres said

I went to their website and I'm not really understanding how this game will work? It sounds like it's mostly PvE and there's going to be awesome live events which is great, but they also talk about factions so will there be open world PvP too?

Is this world fully explorable like Vanguard or will it have lots of pocketed areas like Conan?

Sure looks amazing graphically very traditional fantasy graphics with great character models.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 12:59PM (Unverified) said

Because clearly the market needs ANOTHER fantasy MMO? *boggle*

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 3:17PM (Unverified) said

The market needs another revolutionary fantasy MMO like WoW or EQ, not more of this crap. You really have to have a huge budget to produce a quality MMO these days, there's not much room for indie developers because of the sheer scale involved in the genre. People don't seem to realize this.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 10:46AM Brendan Drain said

Rhaegar, I would argue that there IS room in the MMO genre for indie developers. If games like Runes of Magic, World of Warcraft, Runescape and Maple Story have shown anything, it's that graphics aren't a huge factor in a game's success. An MMO lives or dies on how fun its gameplay is. The running costs of an MMO are relatively low per user. Assuming you're monetising those users well, an MMO with under a thousand subscriptions can remain cash-flow-positive.

The problem with indie games is that they have to be grown organically. They don't have the branding or the cash to advertise a game and hype it up for launch. As a result, most indie MMOs (of which there are quite a few) don't gain much ground compared to the big players in the market. Of course they do tend to suffer from the same lack of innovation as high-budget games. It's possible that an indie game could come along with innovative gameplay elements, get enough support and break into the market-at-large. Possible, but not likely as most of the talented new game designers entering the market get hired by established studios.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 7:39PM (Unverified) said

Brendan, don't include WoW in that lot. RuneScape and Runes of Magic are pretty good examples but WoW is not. World of Warcraft was extremely hyped up (especially by fans of the Warcraft series as a whole or even just WC3).

WoW, unlike most games, lived up to it's hype and even though it had crap graphics it was never made by an "indie" developer. Blizzard have had many successful games, not just WoW.

As for a new MMO, no, I do not think the gaming industry needs a new fantasy-based MMO. I've tried WAR, I do not mind it but I don't play it because quite frankly, I get my fantasy-fix from World of Warcraft.

Games like EVE Online, Star Wars Galaxies (no matter how crap it may be) and soon-to-be, Star Wars: The Old Republic are, IMO, decent ideas for games. EVE Online is pretty popular, SWG well... let's not go there and as for TOR, well it looks good so far, we'll have to wait and see.

All those games listed are pretty space-oriented. Which is what I like, not because I like fantasy over space, that's very much the opposite but because it's new and it hasn't been done much before in an MMO environment.

Developers need to stop restricting themselves to fantasy games.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 1:05PM (Unverified) said

Heroes of Telara [Un]Forums - http://heroesoftelara.forums-free.com/

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 1:15PM Halldorr said

"Control Territories

Join a faction and participate in the struggle to control territories where you monopolize access to epic rewards."

Stood out for me :) Sounds pretty cool!

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 1:54PM Thac0 said

Looks interesting, but I'm tired of watching games and waiting for them to come out, its takes forever and they haven't been worth the wait and hype recently. I'll be excited when its on store shelves but not until then.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 2:34PM (Unverified) said

This is awesome...I was just thinking the other day about how there aren't enough fantasy mmo's available right now.

Seriously, who the hell can even tell these things apart anymore?

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 2:46PM (Unverified) said

i read the whole site, sounds to me like its going to be very guildwars-like in gameplay and thats a good thing

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 2:55PM (Unverified) said

The announcements for Tales of Monkey Island and Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition have put me in a good mood. I'm willing to be optimistic about this game. :)

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 3:12PM (Unverified) said

Did you guys ever see those old "charlie brown" cartoons where all the adults talk with a "wak, wak, wak" sound?

That's about where I am at with fantasy MMO's.

Good luck to the Telara Saga of Heroes or whatever...they are gonna need it. Their "about" section reads like dozens of other fantasy MMO's. Vague and full of promise's of the ultimate MMO game experience.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 7:12PM TheJackman said

Trailer is pretty bare on game play so can not tell of it will be any good or just more crap!

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:13PM dudes said

Looks alright. Fantasy MMO's sell ok. Will be keeping an eye out or two.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:21PM mszv said

I went on the Trion site to check out the company. Not a lot about the games, yet, but there are some goodies on their site, particularly in the news section. Trion is located in Silicon Valley (Redwood City, good choice), Austin and San Diego. In my opinion these are great locations for a game company - places people will move to, good way to get local talent. They have an impressive set of investors, partners, and game industry veterans, and these people know how to raise money. It looks like they are working on an MMORPG, an MMORTS and an MMO Action game. Another thing that's interesting is their focus on networks and hardware. They appear to be serious about developing and managing games that will both perform and scale. I really like that..

I like fantasy as an MMO setting, and I like heroic quest sorts of games. What's out there looks fine to me, but, like everyone said - not a lot of info, yet! The limited set of words and pictures look OK, but you can't tell what makes this new game special. I will be looking to see what comes out of E3.

As always, I'll be looking for a PvE experience, a way to play at my own pace, a way to solo, and a way to play with anyone I want. We'll see how it all turns out.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2009 1:54PM wufiavelli said

After all that hype over what trion was going to present this is what we get? Everything about this game screams been there done that. Also the combat looks horrid.