Posted: Jun 1st 2009 8:55PM Cicadymn said

I'm sure Bioware has something planned to minimize the size of all the sound bites. I can't believe that they'd expect everybody to have plenty of room for a 50 gig game or anything. It's a great company we're talking about here, they've gotta have something up their sleeve.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:42PM nomoredroids said

Being a good company doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Technology isn't some magical force that can be bent to meet your whims; it has limitations. Its going to be a huge game if every class has an individual story line and everything is voiced over. It should be fine, though; memory is CHEAP.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 11:42PM (Unverified) said

I know voice takes up a lot of memory but who says it couldn't be streamed audio? Crazy idea but could work.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 5:29AM (Unverified) said

well it is a mmo, so a streaming, content, meaning all voice will be not downloaded but streamed like youtube., guess is on, with broadband connections in almost every household, no problem

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 5:18PM raygungirl said

Aren't ogg vorbis files a lot smaller than mp3s or anything else?

(Seriously asking; I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up.)

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:43PM Its Utakata stupid said

I find it disturbing that I found the game trailer better than the prequals.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 10:25PM Valdur said

I had the same thoughts and Darth Maul theme "Duel of Fates" fits well the depicted scene.

Posted: Jun 5th 2009 12:49PM (Unverified) said

George Lucas is like a bad parent, he has cool kids and as long as he is not allowed to visit they do GREAT, but he beats them when he can.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 10:05PM Ashen7 said

• 1 heart
These comments are pissing me off. EQ2 had an absolute boatload of voices at launch; Almost every single quest giver and quest had dialogue at the time. (And back then, there were thousands more quests then there are now) For whatever reason, SoE removed the aforementioned thousands of quests and voices and turned EQ2 into the product you see today.

I understand that by "full voiced" they are talking about your character as well as npcs, but I'm getting angry at the lack of respect EQ2 is getting. Really, EQ2 paved the way for voice work in MMOs.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 10:27PM (Unverified) said

Forget "Fully Voiced". That cinematic trailer is what just sold this game. Any Star Wars fan is instantly oozing for The Old Republic after watching that. Its over, SWTOR is biggest threat to WoW right now, and will be the first mmo to show an impact on WoW's subscription numbers.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 8:33AM (Unverified) said

I agree with your sentiments, and I think this is a big threat....but.

We said it for LOTRO
We said it for WAR

Heck even GW and CoH heralded the death of WoW.

In the end, all launched and wow continued on, with no discernable death in numbers.

I think this game is more likely to hurt other games before it hurts WoW - WoW is a different, and very mainstream beast these days.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 9:40AM (Unverified) said

I'm not hoping that TOR will dethrone WoW as much as provide an out for people that are sick of the community and gameplay in WoW but can't find a more enjoyable mmo to play. Of all the people I know that play WoW, they have no interest in anything Star Wars, so my hope is that this game will popular (and obviously good), however more with normal gamers and less with the schmuck moms with nothing better to do all day but play WoW for 20 hours and the 12 year old l33t speak kids. Call me selfish or flame me or whatever, but I don't want those people in the games I play lol.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 10:32PM wjowski said

• Half a heart
A pointless gimmick that's just going to slow down development and make degrade optimization.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 9:44AM (Unverified) said

Since when is voice acting a gimmick? I guess you're not a fan of all them new-fangled "talkie" movies that have been coming out for the past 80 years then either, grandpa?

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 10:53PM (Unverified) said

GD that was awesome !

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 11:01PM (Unverified) said

you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 2:36AM (Unverified) said

5 stars for the Spaceballs reference. Bravo good sir! LOL.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 2:47AM (Unverified) said

While this is absolutely true, keep in mind that a well-compressed audio file of speech is actually quite small. I deal with a lot of dictation files that are sent to remote typists, an hour+ of someone dictating will often be less than 5mb when compressed. And this is using just mp3 for compression, there are better codecs out there if filesize is the issue.

And this is assuming that the quests (the boring bits) arent just text files run through a text-to-speech app, and the voice acting saved for the important parts...

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 2:48AM (Unverified) said

Grr, this was meant to be @20 - Havok. Nice work reply button.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 3:35AM Miffy said

When I played EQ2 at launch and in beta everyone had voice overs but I guess cause SOE rush out expansions that the new ones don't have voice overs?

That said EQ2 was the first, not swtor.