Posted: May 31st 2009 3:55PM (Unverified) said

This is absolutely FANTASTIC news to me... the Smuggler Class on SWG was a lot of fun. There were a few abilities and specials that were a BLAST pre-CU, back when we all were going through the levels and a lot of the nerfs had yet to come. I'm happy with the addition of this class, and having Ord Mantell as the starting point is just perfect storytelling. Ord is a world that's on the brink, Republic-controlled with the Underworld element. Man, I hope the Exchange is still around. This game is just going to murder all the MMOs out there.

-ere'bodee's favorite mega, blogninja

Posted: May 31st 2009 4:03PM (Unverified) said

Actually, starwarsmmo.net discovered it first: http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/edge-magazine-bioware-interview/
And Kotaku linked to them. ;)

Good news though, if not expected.

Posted: May 31st 2009 4:35PM Lethality said

• 1 heart
I HATE how they are trying to re-create ALL of the movie trilogy personas so literally, even though its 3500 years prior to any of that. The Bounty Hunter was the last straw (mandalorian armor before it existed?) Now this is icing on the cake. They may as well say "Play Han Solo!"

I expected more creativity from Bioware. Perhaps Lucasarts is tying their hands too much... either way, this game is turning out to be a non-MMO, instanced movie rehash snoozer.

Posted: May 31st 2009 4:59PM (Unverified) said

I don't get what you mean about "mandalorian armor before it existed". This game takes place 300 years after KOTOR, and if i recall correctly, KOTOR had mandalorians/mandalorian armor.
So, would you care to elaborate? I'm confused...

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:00AM (Unverified) said

Ok, well as to the Mandalorians well... read this:

"Originally, the Mandalorian clans were Taung from Coruscant, led by the warlord "Mandalore the First". Around 24,000 BBY they conquered a planet in the Outer Rim, which they named Mandalore after their leader. The Taung then took the name Mandalorians and were seen by many as the most skilled fighters in the galaxy, thriving in battle."

For those that are unaware, BBY means "Before the battle of Yavin." So like, um, twenty-four thousand years PRIOR to the blowing up of the first Death Star, there were Mandalorians, fyi. (google "mandalorian," if you don't trust me)

Wow, people should really know what they talk about before they spout off, but alas, this is the internet, and that would make too much sense.

In any event, I am intensely looking forward to the release of this game. I played SWG before the fall, and it's hard not to hope for some of the same features in this game that initally shipped with that one, but regardless, I'll be playing this game on the day it ships. =)

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:07AM Lethality said

It's just a shame that its not really going to be an MMO, just a cooperative play RPG.

Oh, and the Mandalorian armor never looked like this in KoTOR, instead they jumped ahead and took the "boba fett" look since people would be more familiar with it. Money grab.

Posted: May 31st 2009 5:14PM TheJackman said

Still no news about what matter and killed all other mmo releases for me....

Posted: May 31st 2009 8:33PM (Unverified) said

Some choice bits from the interview to chew on:

On their E3 Demo:
"We're going to be playing through about 20 to 30 minutes, showing multiple worlds like Tython, Korriban, Ord Mantell - the origin worlds, basically. The big part of the demo is going to be showing a flashpoint: a one - to two-hour-long story moment which is fully instanced and basically designed for group play, though you can also play solo."

On Competing with WOW
"We think you can compete, and we do want to compete with WOW. What these partnerships with EA and indeed LucasArts give us is, frankly, the budget to build a huge structure."

On what differentiates SW:TOR
"you never want people to have to look for fun. People want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun"

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:50AM (Unverified) said

So are their going to be other playable races? Everything thus fr has been human models only.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 9:58AM (Unverified) said

Actually.

That last one is just my wishful thinking that droids will be playable, but other races have been showing up already. There's been plenty of Wookiee presence too, but they're of course assumed to be playable as always.

Posted: Jun 1st 2009 10:03AM (Unverified) said

Well, just going by screenshots would lead one to assume ANYTHING is a playable race.

I'm saying, anything that has been showed, officially, re: a playable class, has only been portrayed as human.

I'm hoping that the only other races players get to play isn't "companions".

Posted: Jun 2nd 2009 2:54AM (Unverified) said

I'm just hoping that there will be at least 5 classes for each side with around 10 seperate races to choose from.

Even if it comes with 2 classes on each side and all you can play is a human, I don't care. I will buy it. Dude it could have like 2 planets in the game when it ships. Yes I said 2. They could take off 2 of the planets they have already showed and say "oh those aren't coming out and we aren't gonna add any others in there for..uh well who knows?". I would be like, "F*ck! Oh well, I'll buy it!"

I wouldn't really, but I have a lot of faith in Bioware to make this game amazing.

One Shots: Nowhere to hide