Posted: May 30th 2009 10:31AM Myria said

Somehow I'm guessing this, like the CSM elections, will come and go with only a tiny percentage of the overall playerbase ever noticing... Or caring.

Not that that's an indictment of the event or anything, there just seems to be an odd disconnect between what the bulk of the Eve playerbase cares about and what CCP wants the playerbase to care about.

Used to see the same sort of thing in GW as well, sometimes it got rather ugly as Anet could be incredibly inept in handling conflicts between various elements within their playerbase. In the case of CCP the communication is far more mono-directional -- there's no equivalent of Gayle Gray, as far as I've been able to find -- and, oddly, that probably mitigates any potential damage some.

I'm starting to think it's a function of any game that starts out primarily PvP focused, inevitably discovers that PvPers are a noisy but small percentage of the overall potential playerbase, and ends up having to add or tweak PvE content to bring in enough subs to keep the servers running -- there's a reason L4s are -- and despite pirate whines begging for easy kills, will stay -- in highsec, just as there was a reason Nightfall had was far more PvE focused. Inevitably this changes the game, but, oddly, developers sometimes seem to be the last to see it.

Posted: May 30th 2009 2:14PM Firebreak said

I really don't know what you are talking about. In my corp everything grinds to a halt when the alliance tournament is on. Hell it is one of the few things that I look forward too in EVE nowadays. Now that being said I doubt I will ever vote on who will be a contributor/commentator as I could really care less about that. I would rather they were a good commentator that knew a little about EVE then the other way around.

I also don't think that I would call EVE pvpers a small but noisy percentage by classifying all of us together in a single group. Every pvper I know in EVE would love and actively wants the PVE in the game to be both better and more stimulating. So what I am saying is that there are not two camps one of pvpers and one of pvers I think that EVE could only be stronger by having both a good PVE and a good PVP game.

Posted: May 30th 2009 12:27PM Wensbane said

Yeap, Myria has no idea what he/she is talking about. I no longer play EVE, but I remember everyone on my (pretty large) old corp stopping everything, just to listen to the last coverage of the Alliance Tournament.

It's a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

Posted: May 30th 2009 12:54PM Bluefyre said

And let us not forget the players logged in records set when they started asking people to log in during the finals because when Stevie started mentioning for people to log in to break the previous record, lots of people started logging in. Not to mention to huge number of viewers they were reporting on tuning in to the live feed.

The PvP tournament is a big deal even to those folks not in waring alliances. The majority of the player base do care.

Posted: May 30th 2009 3:44PM Myria said

• 1 heart
One person admits they won't vote, another says they don't even play anymore, and a third talks about having to ask people in order to get them to log on.

If I didn't know better I'd think you three were trying to make my case for me.

Posted: May 30th 2009 8:07PM (Unverified) said

What does not wanting to vote has anything to do with your claim? or the fact that Wensbane no longer plays Eve? or the call by a commentator to try to get people on to BREAK a record?

1st, most people don't even vote in real elections that have real impact on their lives.

2nd, you obvious know that Wensbane quit eve because of what you said... oh wait, you don't.

3rd, your spin on the situation is so far off I don't evn know what to say.... the only one with a disconnect with reality here is you. Just about every Eve player with half a brain and isn't a macro alt that has played during one of the tournament periods would know about it, and from my own experience, just about everywhere you go in game during the tournament, it's all people talked about, whether in alliance or corp chat, or the local chats in the populated hubs.

Posted: May 31st 2009 11:42AM Firebreak said

If I am helping you make your point then obviously I misunderstood what your point was. I am sorry for that and I know you will be enjoying the tournament as much as I am going to be enjoying it.

Posted: May 30th 2009 5:47PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Yes, let the commentators explain the next exciting round of pvp when something unexpected happens enhancing the situation, creating confusion and actual excitement......

PHILWANTOSPANK: Well it seems HR puffinstuff and her team are holding out, what do you think Alice?

ALICELIKESPANK: incredible defense, both teams are losing losing ship for ship....wait, whats that? OMG! did you see that!............OOOPS, wait, never mind the devs just intervened, ahh well, anyone get that on video? no? ah well, Phil, back to you.

PHILWANTOSPANK: -_- If it's not the devs way, it's no way. Do as we say, not as you want to do.

CCP: You have violated our carefully planned outing, we planned this to go a certain way and we will NOT have randomness in our game spicing things up, and to all those reading this, as the player base you certainly will not handle this situation by yourselves, think of the rampant combat and ACTUAL drama created! Now let us return to our carefully planned and scripted program for your enjoyment.....and by the way PHILWANTOSPANK, your banned for commentary not in keeping with CCP guidelines, that and we just didnt like what you typed.

end transmission.

Posted: May 31st 2009 11:42AM Firebreak said

I have no idea what this means or what you are trying to say.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014