Posted: May 27th 2009 9:13AM Thac0 said

Seriously I don't know why companies bother to tell anyone a release date when they damn well know they aren't going to stick to it. I'd rather hear that a game is a long way off then be surprised that it came out early than have a game company say its coming out soon to get hype up for a game then delay it several times. I wasn't planning on trying Jumpgate but when companies delay all the time like they do it really makes me not want to buy their game. Its like your friend that is ALWAYS late, after a while you get sick of inviting him; mmos are turning into that late friend and I'm going to stop following them because i know all they do is lie and show up late.

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:17AM phobic99 said

I agree. More companies need to learn to just shut up until they are actually ready to put it on the shelves. This whole trend of "here's a release date but not really" was already old to begin with.

If you aren't ready, don't tell us you are. Just don't. Is it really that hard? Can you get this concept right Bioware?

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:22AM Anatidae said

I am now under the mind that game developers should start their PR engine when the game is ready for Open beta, not before. Don't even put up a website before that. This trend of talking up your game years before release and then putting out hype months before a target date that never gets met is getting annoying. I might stop buying games based on that - I know it burned me on WAR and I like that game - but they pimped (and still do) their features way too early before release.

If a game company was ready at open beta, which is still typically a couple months away from release, THEN started their hype machine, they would be able to get interest and quickly deliver an experience and then roll that right into sales. Within the first couple weeks of a MMO coming out to public light, I always get excited and want to buy. After months of them talking about their features, the excitement starts to wear thin.

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:38AM Holgranth said

I agree with Brian wait untill your ready for open beta THEN put the hype machine into high gear.

Posted: May 27th 2009 9:38AM (Unverified) said

Found out about this 1 yesterday when i went to pre order at gamestop. That was a bit of a let down. I was looking forward to champions online (despite the developer) and jumpgate this summer. It appears that i wont get to play these 2 till i have to start school again which is the real tradgedy here. Once school starts i barely have time for one game much less 3. They really ought to update their site there are at least 4 places where it still says "coming in june" or "available in june"

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:17AM Anatidae said

I sent in this news to Massively 2 days ago through their contact us form. About 1 hour after the admin posted it as I was randomly checking the board. You guys need to check your inbox faster, you'll get the scoop on things before they become old news.

I dunno, I suppose if my job was to write about MMOs, I would probably troll the official forms for each game once a day to look for dev posts. Great story material there.

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:28AM (Unverified) said

That's odd because Scott Brown posted it to the forums about 19 hours ago.

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:33AM Halldorr said

Bah so this and Champions are delayed and Cities XL is out in September. That means I need to snore my way through the summer with WoW *sigh*

Posted: May 27th 2009 11:03AM phobic99 said

You "need" to? Sounds like you aren't having fun so why torture yourself more? This is something I'll never understand but to each their own I suppose.

Posted: May 27th 2009 11:09AM Halldorr said

Well, I quite enjoy playing games online and socializing. Basically I need my MMO "fix" and nothing has really held my interest for very long.

Posted: May 27th 2009 11:07AM (Unverified) said

Bah, another delay. This and with Starcraft 2 nowhere near in sight, makes me sad.

Posted: May 27th 2009 12:10PM (Unverified) said

Starcraft 2 is this year with a closed beta in the summer.

Posted: May 27th 2009 11:45AM TheJackman said

Well I do known something about Starcraft 2 but you have to wait till E3 to find out!
Sorry to hear about Jumpgate's delay but I like a better game without all the bugs and unstable client and huge hols in the content, so it may work out for the better for this game!

Posted: May 27th 2009 12:07PM Nadril said

Honestly I'm amazed more of you didn't even see this coming, it was pretty obvious they weren't going to make the launch date.

Posted: May 27th 2009 2:55PM (Unverified) said

Yup. Couldn't agree more. I think the fact they hadn't even started closed beta phase by February/March made it pretty obvious June wasn't going to happen. I'm not disappointed because I'm really not surprised.

Posted: May 27th 2009 12:27PM dudes said

Stargate Worlds

Anyone remember that one as well?

Posted: May 27th 2009 1:20PM Urban Monkey said

An MMO missing its launch date is not even news... it's news if it is released on time.

Posted: May 27th 2009 1:25PM (Unverified) said

You hold onto that game guys, you hold onto it good and tight until it's ready as you will be ripped to shreds if it's not all shiny and good the day it comes out of the box. It shouldn't work that way but for whatever reason it does.

They shouldn't put it back a few months, they should put it back YEARS if need be (and the funding can hold out for that long) until it's ready. The tears of impatience at the delay will be nothing compared the howls of agony rippling through the cosmos when some part of the GUI doesn't work or something, along with the reviews on Amazon saying how everyone connected to the game should be put to death because the in game mail system isn't working and wont be fixed for two weeks, and therefore it deserves 1 star for all time.

But then I'm not waiting for that one so that's easy for me to say. Now Earthrise, that should be released now dam it ;)

Posted: May 27th 2009 6:14PM Urban Monkey said

What's your point? We all know that it's better to wait and keep developing the game until its perfect (the word Blizzard comes to mind) but not every developer has the financial backing to keep developing forever.

Nobody has a problem with the delay itself, it's the fact that companies set a release date they can't meet and they only end up disappointing fans. Nobody forced the developer to set a release date, they did it on their own.

Is Starcraft 2 delayed? No, because there was never a release date to begin with. Lesson here is quite obvious.

As for your quote: "They shouldn't put it back a few months, they should put it back YEARS if need be (and the funding can hold out for that long) until it's ready."... I am sure the people who worked on Duke Nukem Ever and are now out of a job can tell you a thing or two about that.

Time does not solve incompetence.

Posted: May 27th 2009 3:03PM (Unverified) said

@ Hub. I think putting it "back years"....would be a bit of an extreme.
| 1 | 2 |