Posted: May 26th 2009 4:28PM (Unverified) said

I love this guy's energy, I love that Mythic are so good with these interviews and previews... but I wish he'd shut the hell up most of the time.

So many things this guy enthusiastically promised or exaggerated before launch just didn't happen or took so long to happen they were barely worth mentioning.

This has been the death of far too many MMOs. The very best MMOs say little and do a lot – much like LOTRO, or grudgingly Eve, who quietly beaver away between patches hardly needing to brag about how ace it'll be. And when it ain't that ace... well, they didn't spend six month hyping it for nothing.

Please Paul... just stop talking. Or at least moderate your enthusiasm to a level were the developers can actually hope to fulfil your wild promises.

Posted: May 26th 2009 4:33PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, he didn't really talk very much about warhammer's new content. Sure he hyped it a bit but its a damn interview. PR wont bother with them unless he was going to do at least some plugging.

Posted: May 27th 2009 6:01AM (Unverified) said

Very well said Claw. Indeed, Mythic should stop talking already (I really hate their Waaaagh! thing videos, really). They've done enough to cause me money by buying that crap game, by them saying things that wanted for us to hear, then when I played it was full of crap. I wouldn't even play WAR even its F2P. It's so dull period. I'd rather play casual mmo's out there.

I'm hear to inform who are thinking of buying this game is to try it first then you'll know what I'm talking about for some $15 a month game. It's not worth it even your time, trust me.

Posted: May 26th 2009 4:29PM (Unverified) said

I think the most interesting part of this interview is part 2, talking about where MMOs are going and whatnot. Its not strange at all.

Posted: May 26th 2009 4:35PM Triskelion said

I've always said that if this guy spent as much time off camera working on the game as he did sitting in front of the camera the game would have been better off. He is a self-made celebrity and he just LOVES to listen to himself spout off. I love how he shares his opinions about how he is an MMO genius yet he cannot fix his own game. 300k subs? GTFO!

Posted: May 26th 2009 7:21PM Gaugamela said

• 1 heart
He is the freakin Creative Director. He has subordinates doing the work of improving the game you dumbass.

Posted: May 26th 2009 4:35PM (Unverified) said

People still play this game?

Posted: May 26th 2009 5:21PM (Unverified) said

Again "bilbo," you keep asking this dumb question again and again. Yes, many people still play, and enjoy, this game. Accept it. Deal with it. Move on already.

Posted: May 26th 2009 5:24PM (Unverified) said

300k is successful for a pay-for-play Western MMO. Not sure when that changed.

WoW isn't a reasonable benchmark for a niche game (read: anything built around PvP).

Posted: May 26th 2009 9:35PM (Unverified) said

Re: Do people still play this game?

Does anyone have a link where you can see MMO market share by region? I think the numbers for WoW in North America are plateauing or declining...

Posted: May 26th 2009 5:25PM (Unverified) said

A WAR player must have shoved him in a locker at one point.

That can leave scars.

Posted: May 26th 2009 7:02PM breezer said

Note to the devs: smart people don't believe a WORD Paul Barnett says.

Posted: May 26th 2009 7:48PM (Unverified) said

(sorry, I can't login under my login and test here ; / )

Posted: May 27th 2009 9:47AM (Unverified) said

I'm here to inform anyone thinking of buying this game that it's easily the most fun online game I've played, and I've been playing online games since Quake 1. I also know a lot of people who agree with me.

It can be a blood pumping mash-fest where you and your guildies take on twice the number of people just through pure organisation and skill and win the day. Tactics, organisation, timing (knowing when to attack as well as doing more than key mashing) mean a small group of people can lock zones faster than the zerging masses have time to react.

This game, despite the comments I've seen to the contrary, can be very much about so called 'gank' groups (as they're referred to in the previous Massively article) and your 6 man selection of classes can be more powerful against even a zerg than many think. 6v30? Yep, you can take out a whole warband with the right people.

I see the same people coming back to this site and making the same dumb comments about how it sucks (I don't mean you digest :P) - why are these people spreading their crap on these comments when they presumably don't play the game? We get it - *you* don't like it, fair enough, why keep coming back and saying useful adages like "lol fail" and "people still play this? Hurrrr". Unless... unless they're actually still playing? In which case wtf guys find something you enjoy and stop spreading the hate :P

I understand it's not for everyone, but if you want massive PvP battles, this is *the* game.

But... I would agree with the above posting on it being dull if the following applies:

1) You're in tier 4 and not in a guild / tiny guild - seriously you aren't seeing half the game if you're not in a guild or your guild is very small.
2) You always play in PUG groups.... and related to that:
3) You want to mostly play solo
4) You don't like PvP and want to raid. WoW is of course the leader in PvE MMO.

The best solution to most of the negative stuff I've seen here* is just to join a larger organised guild that actually wants to do PvP, which has people that will actually lead you to victory and not just zerg about, and isn't just interested in killing AI baddies. After all, what's more fun, killing predictable AI over and over or smooshing the other side through cunning plans ;)

* except lag, oh there is plenty of that ;) the lag is the biggest problem with this game (hence why my guild usually avoids the zerg), followed by yeah we know, dodgy forts and capital cities. They'll improve over time as Mythic know it needs fixing but to be honest if you're only interested in getting phat loot then in all honesty WoW would be better for ya :) This game is about PvP, not loot, not ranking your renown.

Queue the anti-war posts telling me it's their duty to inform the masses how since they hate it therefore everyone will *yawn*.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM