Posted: May 25th 2009 7:11PM (Unverified) said

I think hedging one's bets on having competitors that are self-destructive is not the best strategy for a MMO company. And I suspect that the people who stay in empire and run missions all day long don't really care about the sandbox aspect of eve, carebears don't participate in 0.0 and so miss out vast majority of the sandbox(POS, Tech 2, etc.)
If EVE had a small carebear population, then I wouldn't be worried about any competition, none of the mentioned competitors promise an experience similar to 0.0. But because most players in EVE are carebears(they stay in empire and avoid pvp), its not going to take a lot for a sci-fi MMO to compete with EVE. It might take as little as providing a more user friendly ui, or a slightly better gameplay experience.
Many people in the EVE community decry WoW as a horrible stain on MMO gaming, but if you where to go back a couple of years and compare WoW to Everquest 2 you'd realize that all it took was slightly better gameplay for WoW to completely destroy its major competitor from an established MMO company.

Posted: May 25th 2009 7:35PM Brendan Drain said

I'm not suggesting that EVE is reliant on these new MMOs failing. I'm saying that if they don't do as well as expected, EVE can be expected to reap some benefit by way of players looking for an alternative game. After all, EVE has higher than average player retention rate.

I do see your second point though, there's a large carebear community in EVE that MAY see a superior PVE experience in an alternative game and leave EVE. It could happen but I think that will depend heavily on the quality of PVE gameplay in Black Prophecy and Jumpgate Evolution. Not a lot of tangible information has been released on these yet.

Posted: May 25th 2009 7:46PM Myria said

It's hard to imagine any of the new space-based games not having better PvE, calling Eve's PvE weak is giving it credit.

Posted: May 25th 2009 7:39PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this slew of Sci-Fi MMOs coming out, and it's not just because I want to play them either. CCP's gotten a bit stagnant with their monopoly on the Sci-Fi genre in my opinion, and I'm hoping this will force them to be more innovative. It's appropriate that one of EVE's staples is cutthroat competition.

In the end, it's the players of all these games that will benefit.

Posted: May 25th 2009 7:50PM Brendan Drain said

Definitely. Not only am I looking forward to Star Trek Online but I'm looking forward to CCP having to innovate and stay at the top of their game. The work they did last time there was major competition in the market was pretty good and the Walking in Stations expansion is coming so there's a lot of potential in EVE to come.

Posted: May 26th 2009 12:37AM SgtBaker said

I agree.

I'm looking forward to both ST:Online and SWTOR - I don't expect to leave EVE over them though, PvE doesn't quite capture me like the PvP that EVE has (and *nobody* does PvP like EVE), but I'm quite sure I want set a long skill and go carebear for a month or two. In the end I'll end up coming back to EVE - I always do.

However, having said that, it's not hard to compete with EVE when it comes to PvE - it's boring and largely non-existant even though the addition of Sleepers and refresh of the storyline have been great attempts and I'm quite sure CCP will have to step up their game a notch or two (unfortunately this means future patches are probably mainly PvE related).

I see competition on the sci-fi field as a good thing and I'm quite sure it results in better EVE (which is, as a long time EVE player, the only thing I really give a damn about).

I just wish they impelented the Sov-changes before they go crazy with the PvE :-)

Posted: May 26th 2009 4:55AM dudes said

EVE's main competitors will be STO and SW: TOR. They are major brands, but EVE can boast longetivity in its style of play, while the other games have yet to be assessed for such appeal.

I doubt if they should be quaking in their boots. If rival games are pants, then EVE subs and accounts will be kept relatively safe.

And if rival non-branded games are just a cheap and fast thrill-and-kill ride then that's not going to last long when the boredom factor quickly kicks in, and there's no long-term appeal to keep accounts active and financed.

Posted: May 26th 2009 8:44AM (Unverified) said

I recently canceled my EVE subscription. I'm really looking forward to some of these other sci-fi MMOs.

Posted: May 26th 2009 9:10AM (Unverified) said

The only way that a game could directly compete with what EVE has to offer in terms of PvP is a single shard non-instanced universe. I really do hope that the STO devs take a hint of EVE's success and see that if they were to create a single shard universe, they would attract numbers beyond expectations. STO is the best title for massive PvP possibilities and fleet battles rivalling EVE. Since JGE and BP have given hints of instancing and "battlegrounds" system they will never absorb the core player base of EVE which lives for PvP. Given there are a lot of carebears hanging in and around empire, they would have quit long back had they not enjoyed what they do. Being a carebear trader or a simple freighter pilot has a lot of pull in itself without having to worry about 0.0 :)

Posted: May 26th 2009 11:17AM Firebreak said

I think that these games will help EVE by being successful. When these games go live I don't think there will be a exodus from EVE or even a stagnation in accounts but that EVE will continue to grow slowly as it always has. These games will bring in people from other games that are looking for something different and new. If they have fun in one of these games then they might also try out EVE.

As a veteran EVE player I know that I am planning to try out these games while I also play eve or at least keep my skills training. CCP is the only thing that can cause me to quit at this point.

Posted: May 27th 2009 8:53AM (Unverified) said

I don't play EVE because its Sci-Fi, I play it because it hast the strongest emergent game play ever. I would love for new MMOs to compete with that but WOW has shown everyone that rails, accessibility, and few options - is what works.

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 12:29AM (Unverified) said

I've been disappointed for a long time with the lack of good Sci-Fi MMOs. I'm not really into the fantasy environment you see all the time, and for quite some time now EVE has been the only game I've been able to enjoy. I'm looking forward to trying these new entrants in the genre, though they all appear to have their drawbacks.
Black Prophecy looks good but character levels? That's so 1980's.
Jumpgate Evolution - again, looks good but sharding? Nope, not a contender.
SW:TOR looks like WoW with a Sci-Fi veneer. I want spaceships, not running around on foot smiting funny-looking critters.
STO sounds like it might have "The Right Stuff" depending on what direction they take it, I'm just hoping I can get over the fact that it's Star Trek. If I can manage to ignore the ST theming and the game underneath is good it might just work for me.
In the end, Black Prophecy might turn out to be the most appealing of the competition, but I don't think any of these will make me leave EVE for long.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014