Posted: May 25th 2009 11:31AM (Unverified) said

I recommend a Mesmer primary because it really is unlike anything in other role playing games. The Mesmer is a master of disruption preventing opponents from doing what they want to do and creating nasty damned if you do damned if you don't dilemma's. Mesmers are a tricky character to play and they don't excel at PVE but why choose easy when you can choose interesting.

Prophecies PVE campaign is the place to start. Nightfall may have a more coherent storyline but I think levelling is too rushed for a new player in Nightfall. You have no time to learn your skills as you progress. Prophecies takes a slower more measured pace.

Posted: May 25th 2009 4:40PM Dirame said

To me the mesmer is a support type class, blocking spells and things like that require a certain type of precision that many people would have to master. An easier primary class would be a Necro because of they are very similar to the mesmer but much easier for a person whose never played GW (plus they have minions). Mesmer is better as a secondary class especially when combined with Necromancy.

Simply put;
Necro+Mes= Awsomeness.

Posted: May 25th 2009 11:49AM Lobotomist said

Agreed.

Mesmer is one of most sophisticated RPG classes i ever played.

Playing it is not far from aikido martial art. You are using power of your enemy redirecting it towards them.

Basically your enemies kill themselves.

If properly played mesmer can shutdown and kill any enemy in under seconds.

No wonder they are the first class to be targeted in PVP

Posted: May 25th 2009 12:15PM (Unverified) said

A tip for choosing a second profession; the skills you use from it should complement your first profession and make it easier and/or more effective. Trying to do two jobs with one character works out very poorly in Guild Wars.

Posted: May 25th 2009 1:28PM (Unverified) said

Isnt it tough to get into this game without purchasing every-single-expansion?
Or is it easy enough except you cant play end game pve, or endgame anything.

Posted: May 25th 2009 2:11PM cforciea said

Each campaign besides Eye of the North runs in a parallel progression; they each have their own story from tutorial through endgame. Eye of the North is really the only exception, as it is designed as additional endgame content for all of the campaigns. Which means you'll have one third of the total available content from the three campaigns if you only buy one, but you won't get to a certain spot and be asked to buy an expansion to keep getting more levels or better gear.

Guild Wars doesn't have a typical PvE endgame, anyway. Since you hit max level with top of the line gear in only a few dozen hours of gameplay even if you don't know what you are doing and are playing the slowest campaign, the "endgame" of Guildwars amounts to either consuming all the content available, gaining more skills (read: more diverse, not more powerful), improving your character's visual style, or moving on to PVP. There is no raiding to keep getting incrementally better gear so you can move on to the next raid, so in that sense it really either has no endgame, or the endgame starts way before any other game, depending on how you look at it.

Posted: May 25th 2009 2:28PM (Unverified) said

I've got all GWs and my favourite is Prophecies, the very first one I played, the storyline is so awesome, I've passed the best online weeks playing GW in a very nice guild and doing the quests, the final quests (in the vulcano) are kinda hard and need some teamplay, its pretty awesome the whole story in which our character makes part of it.
The best class combination is undoubtly (in my opinion) Warrior/Ritualist..I explain why, with this class you can solo UW (underworld) which gives pretty expensive items, I've got the best Warrior and Mesmer equips in the game thanks to some runs I did in UW with this class, basically my money-making character is Wa/Rit.. But I like Mesmer and Elementalist pretty much too, mesmers are pretty nice in PvP.

Cheers

Posted: May 25th 2009 3:04PM DevilSei said

C'mon prophecies, I wanna make him go for the title you get for hitting level twenty without exiting the "tutorial area", ie, before starting the true part of it when the Charr (?) destroy the entire area and it skips ahead.

Also, C'mon! Warrior/necro rules. I made a Warrior/necro, who specializes in axe and blood(?). Its sweet being able to run into large group of enemies, spike my health regen to ungodly levels, and aoe tear them down with the axe.

Posted: May 25th 2009 3:06PM (Unverified) said

Looks like necro is currently winning, but I'd recommend against it. It's basically a run-of-the-mill debuffer/minion guy just like dozens of similar classes across other games. Mesmer would be much more "unique" to GW. Warriors, Monks and Rangers would be other good choices, those classes behave a bit differently than you'd expect from other games.

Posted: May 25th 2009 3:41PM DevilSei said

Necro as a main is boring, but in combination with a melee class as a main, it does rock pretty hard, like I said, all the ways it has to regen health make it a pretty deadly sub class.

Posted: May 25th 2009 4:59PM Myria said

Personally, having played all of the classes through at least one chapter, I'd have to beg to differ. Mesmer is a pretty run-of-the-mill buffer/debuff support class, nothing particularly special or interesting, whereas I have yet to see anything reasonably similar to GW's necro in any other game -- more's the pity.

Different strokes, I suppose, but I never have understood why the forums were always filled with Mesmer love whilst in PvE they were generally, for understandable reasons, universally shunned even before much of their utility fell to the inevitable Anerf bat and new counter skills.

In PvP I can maybe understand, a Mesmer can shut down a monk hard and fast (albeit not nearly as hard and fast as killing them once the rez sigs have run out, and, frankly with the number of counters in the later game even that was pretty unimpressive), but in PvE? Meh.

Posted: May 25th 2009 3:36PM cray said

Warrior/Monk is for beginners who have slow learning curve and prefer a sturdier class.

I would say Mesmer/any and Necromancer/any are for advance players who are good and micromanaging their skill bars.

Overall though there are a lot of variations you can do once you are able to change your second class in PvE.

Guild Wars PvP isn't about your level strength, but your knowledge of the skills, I would highly recommend a new player get to know the game through PvE first, so that they can practice and experiment different skill combinations.

The more you know what works and doesn't, the better you can gage on what skill combinations other PvPers are using.

I look forward to reading these adventures, I've played many classes, and some not to their full extent. It has given me a better understand how everything works in terms of skill bars.

Posted: May 25th 2009 8:56PM TheJackman said

Start with PVE you need it to unlock skills... Level is the more fast in Nightfall and the storyline is great as well!! I always play a male like I am one... A good starter class is Warrior but it gets kinda boring...

Posted: May 26th 2009 9:36AM pcgneurotic said

This is going to be interesting. *pulls up a chair, pops a beer*

Posted: May 26th 2009 12:05PM Arkanaloth said

mesmer is unique.. but it's also the most difficult depending on how you play it, and in fact there are certain interrupt builds that are flat-out unplayable by humans and far far better suited to hero AI.

however, mesmer is a strong class and, depending on what you choose as a secondary class and how you work your build, the class can become incredibly strong in PVE (and I assume PVP, but I don't PVP so I can't say)

Posted: May 26th 2009 12:56PM (Unverified) said

While you level really fast in Nightfall, the hero system is really interesting, the environment is better (IMO--I like that African/Middle Eastern/Byzantine kind of artwork), and the story's still pretty freaking nifty.

Just think of all the choices we'd get to make for him with heroes in the mix. Hmm, do I take Koss or Melonni?

Posted: May 27th 2009 10:32AM Thac0 said

I think you should announce play times and we can all join you for your adventure online as well as on this site.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM