Posted: May 23rd 2009 8:57AM (Unverified) said

Double Xp alone would most likely never draw me back, however these events generally coincide with the "we have reactivated your account for the weekend" scheme.

Personally I believe it's a good way to draw back older players, as it really doesn't take much to reinstall and try playing again. Not to mention the world is generally inflated as you said.

That being said, it's also interesting to note that it seems a lot of subscribed players actually dislike these weekends, either because they think leveling is too fast as it is (here's looking at you Lotro) or because it crowds servers (personally I like the idea of bringing more interest to games I play).

Posted: May 23rd 2009 9:41AM mysecretid said

If I already like the game, but just haven't been playing it for a while, then yes double xp could inspire me to come back -- particularly if I left because I felt I wasn't advancing fast enough.

If I never liked a game, or if I was absolutely done with it, then no amount of xp would make me return.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 10:15AM Miffy said

No a good game does.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 10:19AM Myria said

Wouldn't even remotely peak my interest, I've never left a game because I couldn't get enough exp (let's face it, in most games you can level by facerolling anyway) and I'd certainly never bother returning to one just because they decided to hand out more.

Amusingly, between when I was playing last September and when I re-subbed last month LoTRO apparently changed the level curve. When I logged into my minstrel I got a notice that her exp/level would be 'adjusted' the next time she did something that yielded exp. Okay, go out and find something green to kill and suddenly I jump four or five levels -- not sure what the multiplier there is, but it's a lot more then double exp.

To be honest if I intended to stay with the game (I don't, the same things that made me quit pre-MoM are, sadly. there post-MoM) I would -- and I confess to finding this kind of odd myself -- kind of feel cheated out of those levels.

It's one thing to jump levels on an alt -- your second, third, or fifth time through -- but your first time through there's too much to learn and too much to see, if the game is at all done well you shouldn't particularly care about double exp or free levels. The journey should be fun enough, and the leveling curve well tuned enough, that they're anywhere from un-needed to unwelcome.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 4:13PM (Unverified) said

"That's what she said."
..and I agree 101%. My thoughts precisely.^^

Posted: May 23rd 2009 10:44AM ReijMan said

Wouldnt personally draw me back.
But it a nice card to play when I try to draw friends back into the game.
I use these weekends to level my alts though, so try to schedule some extra online time.

Posted: May 24th 2009 4:40PM (Unverified) said

Why would I be interested in a game that is bsically admitting that their low-level content is too dull to sit through?

I play for the journey, not the mythical destination of "endgame nirvana." I'm never in a hurry to level up, and if the developers want to foster the mindset that faster leveling = more fun, then I've got no use for them.

The Soapbox: In praise of SWTOR's 12X experience