Posted: May 22nd 2009 6:57PM Russell Clarke said

"I'm pushing because I want to encourage people to think of MMOs as art, not as low culture."

Love it. But I don't think 11+ million subscribers are there for the art.

Posted: May 22nd 2009 11:50PM hami83 said

Here's where I hope Nasa's MMO will come in. :P

"You can't enter this instance unless you answer this randomly generated math equation about thermal dynamics."

Posted: May 23rd 2009 12:03AM (Unverified) said

He has some good points. Its unfortunate that his example is one of the most mind-numbing areas in the entire game. Fortunately for his arguments, a lot of art is not very enjoyable.

That said, most artists I know (including myself) seem to appreciate what they do for the process more than the final output. Hopefully he enjoys making his games as much as people enjoy playing them.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 12:19AM karnisov said

i'd like to see mmo's attain art status, but they're nowhere near it right now. some of the games from the 90s are masterpieces though. planescape: torment anyone?

Posted: May 23rd 2009 12:27AM Myria said

Personally I'll take "low culture" over what generally passes for "art" any day.

I play MMOs for entertainment value, to blow off steam, to just have fun -- a good MMO is the equivalent of a Summer popcorn movie. What I don't want is all of the garbage and baggage that inevitably comes with the common academic definitions of "art" and "making people think" -- the latter of which invariably involves boring lectures and low-rent attempts at obvious and tedious emotional manipulation (the person attempting to make you "think" -- generally meaning "see things the way I want you to" -- of course thinks their lectures scintillating and their emotional manipulation subtle and profoundly moving).

I want to play fun games, not be beat over the head with 'art', and while the two don't absolutely have to be mutually exclusive, realistically they almost always will be.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 1:24AM Dblade said

I think someone should interview the creators of STV as a counterpoint to see how on-target he was. I'm guessing not, because its very easy to imagine how something was created only to find the real reasons of it were totally different.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 8:01AM archipelagos said

Enough with the absolutes already: MMOs can be popcorn throw-away entertainment and they can be high-brow artistic endeavors - or anything inbetween, such is the flexibility of the medium.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 9:55AM mysecretid said

Is this yet another iteration of the internet truism that, whenever someone tries to make any kind of statement on the internet, there will instantly be a ready core of volunteers willing to pig-pile on and disagree?

It's always easier to criticize than it is to create, and too many people seem to think that being critical automatically means that they're somehow more intelligent or insightful than someone who avers or agrees.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 9:57AM mysecretid said

In my previous post, the opening "Is this" refers to the general debate under discussion. I was not speaking to any other commentator.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 11:53AM Triskelion said

What has this guy down lately? What? Nothing? Ok, that's what I thought - shut your yap Bartle's and go DO something instead of telling everyone else what to do.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 3:04PM wjowski said

The irony here is...stone-thick.

Posted: May 23rd 2009 3:08PM Triskelion said

How so? Am I going on the record to tell MMO developers what they need to do, yet I haven't done a damn thing for the genre since some text-based MUD from 10+ years ago?

Posted: May 24th 2009 6:10AM (Unverified) said

+1 blog that commented on this issue and had Bartle reply, currently still engaged in flame war:

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM