Posted: May 20th 2009 8:21AM (Unverified) said

Some obvious ones are long level grinds and rep grinds.

Also, I really hate when some classes get abilities that can suck the fun right out of a game. An example would be the Magus "pull" ability in Warhammer online. You jump on expecting some good PVP action and all you find are Destruction groups doing Magus pulls over and over and over and over and over ....

That 1 ability pretty much ruined an entire game at the moment.

Posted: May 20th 2009 10:09AM (Unverified) said

You do realize other classes get pulls. White Lions, marauders, engineers (the magus mirror class, by the way,) and Choppaz, which I'm surprised you didn't mention because slayers, their mirror, CANNOT pull.

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:33AM Halldorr said

Glad you posted that picture - I DESPISE the vehicle mechanic for jousting/vehicle combat in WoW.

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:36AM ran93r said

WotLK Vehicles, especially as they got rolled into the raids.
Wintergrasp/Strand, fine. That's actually fun but when it's a ropey part of the game why add/force it upon us for Malygos/Oculus/Ulduar?

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:42AM Miffy said

Levels.

An mmorpg is much better without them where you can join the game and play with your friends right away instead of having to grind levels until you get to their level.

Also the game becomes top heavy so all the zones before the end game becomes dead so you end up soloing through it all when you want to be grouping. In the skill based system the content is always something you want to do because it's unique and something you want to do rather than it being there just to grind up.

Also PVP with levels is annoying because of the advantages it gives which is a MAJOR advantage that if you're 5 levels below then you have no chance, even in a group. However a group of like noob frigates in EVE for example can take out bigger ships and veterans of the game.

Levels suit single player games and like Diablo but it doens't suit and online world.

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:40AM Aganazer said

Later WoW style boss encounters. They became too choreographed. Nobody, except an elite few first timers, actually figure out boss encounters anymore. People read about exactly what class needs to stand where for how long using a specific ability. Its not an RPG, its a dance recital. The encounter is so fragile that when the one idiot who didn't read the guide screws it up and everyone wipes, you run back, buff up, and go again, sometimes for hours, days, and even weeks.

That and auto attack. It may have had its place back in EQ when people were still struggling along with dial-up connections and there was a lot of internet latency, but now its just an annoyance and a crutch for some.

Posted: May 21st 2009 4:44PM fzzzt said

Actually I think the auto-attack was more because EQ was designed (and functioned, for a long time) for one mob versus many people, so each mob took a while to kill. You didn't auto-attack for five seconds, you auto-attacked and used your abilities for a minute.

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:48AM (Unverified) said

WoW vehicle combat, definitely. In BC, WoW had vehicles that drove themselves while you dropped bombs or did something else. People loved it and wanted more of it. WoW's developers did what devs usually do, they went way overboard. We have vehicle combat EVERYWHERE. And not OPTIONAL vehicles, as in "you can use our mount if you feel squishy, but if you'd prefer not to, then play your class instead." But encounters that REQUIRE vehicle/mounted combat.

Argent Tournament jousting is fail. Way too hard and way too dependent on the quality of your internet connection. NPC opponents never seem to have any lag issues, but how many of us have to scream about bashing a key only to have our mounts ignore it, or respond EVENTUALLY, before Blizzard believes it?

Bottom line, I play WoW to play my CLASS, not drive a freakin truck. A LITTLE bit of vehicle stuff is fine, but it's EVERYWHERE in WoW now, and it's not optional.

So yes, vehicle combat is the grind I hate most, by FAR.

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:52AM (Unverified) said

My biggest beef is not necessarily with a specific mechanic, but rather with a certain developers ability to constantly CHANGE game mechanics. It's the reason I left WoW. I'd go for 3-4 months and feel like I really had a handle on at least one of my characters (I played several, most of them all the way through endgame content) and then Blizzard would go and completely revamp a mechanic or stat, or core ability for certain classes, and F the whole thing up. They do this -CONSTANTLY-, and have for the last 2 years, pretty much since the release of their 1st expansion.

Posted: May 20th 2009 12:03PM (Unverified) said

I totally agree. I came back after a 6 month break from wow to play WoTLK and the hunter class was perfect. It was great to be back reliving the old stuff and the new. (happy music) My kittycat and I were back!
(cue the forboding music) Then the great beast mastery nerf. I was laughed upon and shunned by my guildmates because I wanted to raid with bm spec.
I really didn't want to take the time to learn a whole new spec. Its so wrong.
Note: The duel spec system has helped some, but still...

*grumble* *grumble*

Posted: May 20th 2009 9:00AM TheJackman said

WoW vehicle combat,... I do not see anything wrong with it you get a new action bar and need to learn control it. When you get a car you not known how to drive it fully right away also. No need to dumb this down!

Posted: May 20th 2009 11:39AM Halldorr said

I don't need or want it dumbed down, I just don't care for the mechanic and feel of it.

Posted: May 20th 2009 9:03AM (Unverified) said

As a long time FFXI player, the one mechanic that seems out of place is the thief's "treasure hunter" ability. That ability significantly increases the likelyhood of drops from each kill. I just don't understand why one class of the 20 gets an advantage on farming items. In cooperative raiding the ability seems in place but should significantly increase chances of rare items dropping. But for the rest of the time in game farming normal items, well NOT having that trait seriously increases the grind for all other 19 classes.

Just seems to me there should be some equalization item that all jobs can equip or make treasure hunter focused on rare/ex items only. Or completely eliminate it in Rapture (SE's next MMO) and just up drop rates.

Posted: May 20th 2009 9:19AM Lethality said

Definitely hate the vehicle interface in WoW, and it especially has no place in raids.

I didn't spend 80 levels learning to play my character and gearing him up only to be plopped on to the back of a giant who has 2 abilities to kill skeletons.

Posted: Jun 12th 2009 5:54PM (Unverified) said

That was one of the most annoying quests of all time.

Posted: May 20th 2009 9:40AM (Unverified) said

Gear-gated raiding.

I started playing WoW in 2007 when BC had been out for a while, and when I got to 70 I found that there were no starting progression guilds, only guilds that were in T5 and T6, and casual kara guilds that could barely clear it in a week. The better guilds wouldn't recruit me unless I was T4-geared, which with a casual guild could take months. Then I would have to go through a strenuous guild application process, where they would interview me and run me through content to test my ability, and-

Damnit, I just want to play the game.

Posted: May 20th 2009 8:21PM (Unverified) said

This, this, a million times this.

Posted: May 20th 2009 9:44AM Pingles said

Playing Free Realms now and hate the lack of a Vault. Open-ended backpack sounds like a great idea until you have collected 26 Ninja weapons and haven't started leveling the Ninja job yet.

I am regularly going through SO MUCH INVENTORY to pick out a specific item to sell.

Yes, I said I play Free Realms. It's what all the cool kids are playing.

Posted: May 20th 2009 9:46AM (Unverified) said

Yep, the current raid cycle is the reason I end up quitting most MMO's that I spend 1 year+ playing. Fun places get obsolete and you can't get people to go because the current raid cycle used in games(based on Planes of Power) puts so much emphasis on time and gear that anything that isn't getting gear is seen as a waste of time.

So someone puts in a raid that is fully un-fun, and you get told you're going to raid it night after night because that's where the gear comes from, bend over and take it.

Posted: May 20th 2009 10:03AM (Unverified) said

Quest ledgers. I hate having a laundry list of chores to do, a half dozen people in town I need to talk to, an itemized task of what bears in the woods I need to kill... it's the virtual equivalent of a grocery list. It drives me insane.

I wondered how I got so far in Everquest until I realized that back in those days, questing was optional. Now you can't get anywhere anytime soon if you don't buck up and take a couple hundred quests. That's garbage. I want goals and story in my game, sure. But let them be driven by the players, not the NPCs.