Posted: May 20th 2009 3:19PM Mr Angry said

You know, in the past you've written some OK stuff, but this is close to bullshit. People being angry or pissed off or vocal about their experiences is key to this industry. Take the SWG NGE, should have shut up and ate that one huh, or the item shops added into EQ, yep just be quiet and accept it. These are community lead games and so I'm afraid developers have to deal with the community for better or worse and do their best to manage players in a way that they offer feedback and visibility to their process. It's not right to expect the Mr Angry's to change, because you know what, the developers won't change either.

Anyway, next time you want to fire out some sort of rainbow hippy love blog to the web, remember, hate is close to love, and you only hurt the ones you love.

In response :

5) So it's OK to pay for a poor product, just because it's going to get better eventually??
4) Every one is not me : Correct, but people speak from their own experience, anyone who speaks on behalf on the community is either kidding themselves or rather high handed.
3) Silver lining : I myself have said many times "This game plays like a slideshow, but at least the sound is fantastic!" Silver line all you want, but fundamental issues with product is that you can't polish a turd.
2) Being quiet never helped anyone either, at least the vocal minority do help to add perspective to issues that a marketing department would be delighted to ignore. Being quiet only validates poor decisions, management and product which is bad news for us, the customer.
1) I don't pay to understand how a game is made, I'm a customer, I just want the end product. Don't think that by making me part of the process to 'make the game' that I'm going to be much happier.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:25PM (Unverified) said

I know it’s difficult to distinguish between “Constructive” and “blithering, disrespectful, hateful, immature bile”, but try.

He’s not saying “be a passive twit”, he’s saying “don’t be an cynical, sarcastic cunt”

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:33PM Seraphina Brennan said

Indeed. I think you read a bit too much into that, Mr. Angry. No one should sit on their hands and be passive, but at the same time you shouldn't shoot your mouth off if you just want to shoot your mouth off.

Like I said, constructive criticism is the best criticism. Even better than positive feedback.

Plus, like I said... there's always exceptions... and I think the NGE certainly would fall into that.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:57PM Thac0 said

“don’t be an cynical, sarcastic cunt” Why not thats my prerogative? Why is my cynicism not better than the authors cynicism about forum posters? Is it because hes published on a video game blog here at Massively?

I agree with Mr. Angry.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:21PM (Unverified) said

No THACO. It’s all about intention. Everyone goes off sometimes. I know I’ve gotten overzealous in my replies (specifically to WAR) on this site, but I don’t go into a comment with the intention to put down or belittle anyone. That’s the difference maker. Intention.

I personally don’t think people should sugar coat how they feel about a particular game. But insulting developer’s intelligence, or their physical appearance, or even the community for being “dumb” for playing a game just validates the comments where people have pointed out how pathetic and laughable the Internet Tough Guy really is.

If you don’t understand the difference, or even care to, you’re part of the problem.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:24PM Mr Angry said

Ooooo JP you fibber! You called me a very nasty name here once and got into trouble about it!!!

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:35PM (Unverified) said

Sorry, I should clarify that -

"but I don’t go into a comment with the intention to put down or belittle the staff or community-as-a-whole"

Regular 'ol run-o-mill trolls are open season.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:39PM Mr Angry said

I think I'm falling for you again!!!

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:25PM (Unverified) said

While I agree *nearly* 100%, two things:

A) Player expectations are now through the roof, and there’s no going back on it. Developers and forums have coddled this behavior for to long, and we’ll all reap what we sew.

B) You're pissing into the wind here.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:35PM Seraphina Brennan said

Yeah. It won't change anything. This is the internet after all. But, hey, maybe one of these days we'll get a good gaming discussion going.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:33PM (Unverified) said

"But where it failed in game design" in number 3 seems to conflict with your number 4.

Also, this article is terrible.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:35PM Wisdomandlore said

I think the article was more aiming at the "LOTRO sucks because you can't play as a Night Elf" or "WoW sucks because one time a 5 year old griefed me" type of comments. Or even the endless "Xbox vs PS3" threads that pop up everywhere.

I will say that a lot of the hate is spawned by developers and publishers. Developers like to oversell the game, and we as gamers buy into it. Publishers and financial backers like to push the game out before it's ready. Inevitably people are disappointed and even angry. They bought something they were sold was something else. Or they bought something that didn't work. There are lots of people who never even gave AOC a chance because of it's problems and now preach hate for it. Who can honestly blame them?

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:37PM Seraphina Brennan said

Totally agreed there. It's really hard to get past the hype sometimes, because that's all anyone ever wants to sell you anymore. It's like, I don't want to know what your game could do, I want to know what it will do.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:35PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The mister angry's of the world will always exist, and forums are the places they live, cause you know, in the real world they would get their fat, mtn dew bloated butts kicked up between their shoulders if they said even ONE thing they typed this week out loud.
And thats just it, the bravery of being out of range. Give an idiot a microphone and he will inspire 5 more idiots to do the same. Give an idiot the interwebz and he will spread his idiocy like herpes at daytona beach during spring break. For every inflammatory idiot (see above) their are 3 other idiots waiting to fire back at him (see..er...me...). Thankfully they found a way to pen all of these people in together, they call them "forums".
I think the best thing a developer can do in this day and age is totally ignore their forums, hell its working like gang busters for WoW!

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:49PM (Unverified) said

I for one have no problem saying something I have said on this site, to a developers face. Many times I've called out the frat boys at Mythic for their maturity during interviews while their game is mired in mediocrity, I've called Gabe Kaplan a hypocrite for giving a speech about questing in MMO's at GDC 09' that is the complete opposite of his work, and of course good ol' Smedley for being the lying two faced banana hammock he truly is. I'd have no problem at all saying it to their face. I wouldn't be raging, furious, or petty about it but I would do so. Except for Smedley, I'd probably punch that jackass in the face several times. The jail time would be worth it.

Posted: May 20th 2009 3:55PM Scopique said

Part of it is simply that the anonous nature of the Internet allows people to unleash their inner asshats. I suppose that someone who crafts a profanity filled tirade against a topic composed of poor spelling and atrocious grammar probably doesn't diverge much between their real self and Internet self, but it's just as easy for an English professor to just start firing off obscenities for or against one thing or another.

The article really just breaks down a lot of common sense items. My favorite is that "not everyone is you", which covers a lot of ground. Really, no game "sucks"...it's just that not every game is for every player, which I think a lot of people don't care to consider, or simply don't want to admit, since it would get in the way of their winning personality.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:00PM (Unverified) said

So now I understand the other commenter on the previous page!

I'll just copypasta from my mind here.

Thank you for writing this. Hopefully people actually take something away from it.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:25PM (Unverified) said

Mr. Angry i think you may have missed the point. While I agree that you have every right to critique a game, a critique is all you can really give. A critique is much different from nerd rage because it's not based off an emotional response, is clear minded with decent evidence, and doesn't directly attack other forum members who carry opposite viewpoints.

First, an emotional response, while understandable, does nothing for the game or its population. For example, if I tell you WoW sucks the emotional response is usually something like "STFU NOOB" or "go back to Hello Kitty". These aren't arguments, they aren't constructive, and do nothing for the debate. Since the first hallmark of nerd rage is an emotional response, usually consisting of overly pent-up aggression, I agree with the OP.

Second: real evidence. So you got DCed in Kharazan (sp?) and it's the second time this evening. You run to the boards that WoW sucks cause blizzard "can't tell a server from their ass". Question is, are you DCing cause of a new patch, population lag, an issue with your ISP, or is it actually an issue with the server? Have you taken the time to figure it out before running to the boards QQing over spilt milk? This is another hallmark of nerd rage: the expectation that everything is faultless on your end and everyone else is the problem. (Personal anecdote time) I have a friend who suffers from nerd rage and it can get quite unbearable. He assumes he is smarter than everyone else is the problem. This becomes particularly tedious when you are trying to explain something to him and he won't listen largely cause he's blind to his own errors. In a forum these stubborn episodes are not constructive; rather, they are destructive because people get sucked in to the negativity without any recourse for a positive outcome.

Third, and my personal favourite, is reducing opposing positions to caricatures and attacking the person not the position. "Straw Man" arguments sadly work; the audience get riled up and everyone starts throwing mud. Nothing ever gets resolved though. Each side takes turns pot-shotting the other side's character and not the position. Terms like NOOB, fag, etc get thrown around like cluster bombs and the forum post burns down into anarchy.

The reality is, and I know this is shocking, most forums rot with the vitriol of nerd rage. Case in point: AoC. The game had a really shitty start, we all agree. I haven't played it since and I don't honestly know if I'll ever go back. Problem is there were and are people out there who no longer play the game, yet continually stalk the forums for any opportunity they have to espouse their nerd rage on the population. Having fun with the game? You're an idiot. Think the game's getting better? You're a fag noob who doesn't know his ass from his face. I equate these tendencies to something like a bad ex-girlfriend experience. You dated her, maybe even loved her, and she broke your heart. Now all you can do is run around telling anyone who will listen how much of a bitch she is, deriding everything about her, and generally doing whatever you can to spoil her image to anyone else who knows her. Problem is the person who looks like an ass isn't her but you. You're the one who can't let go, and you're the one who's immature.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:36PM (Unverified) said

Well said.

Posted: May 20th 2009 4:53PM (Unverified) said

There are those that would take a true critique and write it off as nerd rage. These people are called fanboi's, and they are just as bad, if not worse than, trolls.