Posted: May 15th 2009 11:15AM pcgneurotic said

Excellent piece. I my experience the mono-gamers tend to be non-gamers to begin with, who come to something almost by chance and get stuck to it, like my wife did with Guild Wars (no jump - so annoying!).

I was strictly mono, from UO to EQ to EQ2 to WoW, but then jumped on LoTRO and Vanguard at the same time, finding them both to be worthy of my cash. Let me tell you, no matter what people say about SOE, their Station Pass is the single best thing ever to happen to the MMOG genre. I can satisfy 3 gaming itches with one large scratch, and then rotate the change between LoTRO, WoW and CoX/EVE. I'd say that's pretty poly. Heh. Polly want a cracker?

Posted: May 15th 2009 11:56AM (Unverified) said

With MMO's, as with any relationship, it's foolish to think that one title will be able to satisfy your every gaming need.

I have a few, well worn titles which I go back and forth between on a fairly regular basis: WoW, Darkfall, Lineage II, and EVE. To go with the MMOs, I have a couple of good gaming groups I belong to in each game: friends from work, TOG (http://www.theoldergamers.com/), and random friends list folks I enjoy playing alongside.

Posted: May 15th 2009 12:19PM shipwreck said

This is a question I mull over a lot.

I've pretty much let go of all MMOG's besides LotRO and that's mainly because I am firm Tolkien fan and every other MMO I've played has let me down in some way. I'm just committed to LotRO.

But the rub is with other games: I love FPS games and am trying to get into more indie games (Braid is still escaping me) but it's difficult, at least for a more casual type of gamer like me, to get what I want out of an MMO (LotRO specifically) and still have time to venture into other games.

Posted: May 15th 2009 12:47PM (Unverified) said

I'm not a fan of fantasy. I've tried Age of Conan, Asheron's Call 2, Dungeons & Dragons Online, and EverQuest II, and lasted less than a month on each. I played EVE Online for a few months, but canceled because it was a huge PvP gankfest. The less said about Star Wars Galaxies, the better. That leaves me with just City of Heroes. :P Although I did regularly switch between City of Heroes and Tabula Rasa while Tabula Rasa was available. :(

Posted: May 15th 2009 2:27PM (Unverified) said

I don't play more than one MMO at a time but I will play more than one game at a time. Though I've played a ton of MMO's I wish I never even wasted my time on most of them, so I've written them off as if I never even played them. I keep the ones that I have very found memories of on my list, UO, Planetside, Guild Wars, WoW. It's kind of cool though because they are all different styles of MMOs and they just happen to be my favorites.

I've never had time to play two MMOs at once as I've always been a competitive gamer, playing in leagues, LAN tournaments for Quake.

Posted: May 15th 2009 4:38PM (Unverified) said

Tim thinks way too much. :)

I am one of those dreaded WoW Tourists. I've played WoW on an off since it launched, but have taken part in many other Beta's and bought many other MMO's. CoX, EVE, WAR, AoC, E&B, EQ, others I can't remember, and most recently, after I install Windows 7, I'll be installed RoM and LotRO for the first time.

Problem is, that while I enjoy WoW, it gets boring, and I need change. I've heard good things about these other games, like LotRO and RoM, that it makes me want to try them. Then of course, there is the hype machine of games like AoC and WAR that I got caught up in and was ultimately disappointed that it wasn't a true WoW replacement.

Of course, like the idiot that I am, I am looking forward to Champions Online and Fallen Earth, along with further out games like Copernicus, TOR, World of Darkness and Blizzard's next MMO.

So yes, I'm just an MMO whore, which is probably why I love listening to the Van Hemlock podcast so much.

Posted: May 15th 2009 4:47PM (Unverified) said

You guys always write these things up like you have someone scanning my thoughts (hrmm...where is that tin hat at....).
I was just thinking about how I need to decide on just one game and stick to it for awhile instead of sprawling all over the place. I may be the king of the polys. I not only play multiple games, but multiple characters in each game. This was great fun before two major things happened, I had to take a full time job and I found a girlfriend I actually wanted to hang out with more than twice a week. Now my gaming time is limited (severely) to a couple nights a week, and then randomly interrupted. I cant bring myself to cut out mmo's altogether. Two of my brothers and a number of good RL friends play them. But on the other hand I STILL havnt finished fallout 3, dawn of war 2, or Sacred 2.
its sort of like remembering a steak you left in the fridge. You know its tasty, you know its going to spoil, but today just isn't a good day for it. Maybe tomorrow....

Posted: May 15th 2009 7:45PM (Unverified) said

Great article Tim. I often find myself curious to play other titles besides my current devotion, WoW, but then remind myself that there is so much in WoW that I have never even experienced yet. I haven't played most of the classes, seen the game at all from one faction's perspective or tried out all the instance/raid encounters. When I think about LotRO for instance, I ask myself what LotRO has to offer to justify paying an additional monthly fee when there is so much content in WoW I have never seen. I am still probably going to start playing LotRO, but I only have a set number of hours to devote to entertainment a week and I would hate to decide between competing "children" what to devote myself more to.

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM