Posted: May 11th 2009 10:33PM (Unverified) said

Bombs bombs bombs. The article failed to overlook one of the stealth bombers most feared weapons is the bomb and the ability to fit covert cyno and regular cyno field generators. The best ass kicking i ever got was from a rapier that baited us into an engagement and then cynoed in 30+ stealth bombers on our fleet. It was so one sided it was not even funny. Also tacklers are a must, cloak fitted Sabre's make excellet tackle and bubblers for SB fleets, after bubbling the prey all we do is just spam torps at the target until it dies. Bombs are best utilized when bubbling hostile fleet aligning to celestial while cloaked and releasing bombs and then warping off while rest of fleet uses torpedoes from range. Even as awesome as the SB is you will still rely heavily on support and tackle no matter what. Oh and on a final note make sure all your pilots fit the same bomb type. Yes I have seen a fleet of SB's screw themselves over by launching different types of bombs only to blow them up by mixing their bomb types.

Posted: May 12th 2009 12:04AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
If you said the above in person, that would be my cue for slowly backing away....

Posted: May 12th 2009 5:04AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Why is this website bother this much about EVE? Its like a giant eve advertisement with posts about diff MMO's inbetween. Do we really need to know EVERYTHING about it? I mean its 300k players, even Conan has more..

WTF

Posted: May 12th 2009 7:15AM (Unverified) said

Maybe its because the writers like the damn game, and dont like conan as much, thats just what I think though. EVE is known for its hardcore and devoted userbase, just look at some of the fanmade videos!

Posted: May 12th 2009 8:40AM Brendan Drain said

This is a weekly column I write specifically on EVE Online. I'm pretty sure if I covered a topic other than EVE in my weekly "EVE Evolved" column, the higher-ups at massively would beat me up :p.

Posted: May 12th 2009 7:24AM (Unverified) said

It's a different MMO that operates on a completely separate level
than WoW, AoC, etc. Player count means nothing when the ideas running
the game (created by players most of the time) take the rail design of
other MMOs and smash it to little, tiny, bits.

300,000 is a decent number of subscribers. When you do any sort of
statistical modeling or data mining, you toss the two most extreme
cases (or use benchmarks to further refine data), usually the lowest
and the highest number. So, tossing WoW out of there as an extreme,
the numbers fall in the mid hundreds of thousands. Not too
shabby to have 300,000.

Noting the subscriber base and unique, player created and driven
content (drug cartels anyone?), I don't see this as a giant eve
advertisement. I see it as writers finding something different and
intriguing to pass along to viewers. You may be perfectly happy
killing murlocs, that's fine, but love to read about what the folks in EVE are up to.

Posted: May 12th 2009 7:33AM (Unverified) said

The only thing that irks me about EVE is the time requirements to get better skills. Although aliviated via the new player exp, its still horrible seeing that you need to wait 21 days just to get cruisers 5 for T2 cruisers, sure they are gods for pvp, but damn!

There is no way to surpass a person that started before you unless he had his attributes messed up, I know you can get very close to him, because of the diminishing gains of skills, but never quite surpass him.

Love the game though, have two accounts, a 0.0 PVPer and a miner/hauler alt

Posted: May 12th 2009 9:38AM (Unverified) said

shinobichocobo:

You are wrong. What most people fail to understand is that what you do to overcome being new is to *specialize*. Training stuff to lvl 4 with lower ranked skills does not take "years and years" and in some cases the difference between a skill trained to lvl 4 and lvl 5 can be marginal.

If all you go for is capital ships and above, well, that *does* takes time. Though, shouldn't it? These ship cost a fortune to make and also make for a good greater goal for those who wish to fly them (I don't but that's personal preference).

In my opinion it's a bit like whining that you do not have the epic gear (in whatever other MMO) from day one. EVE is special in that you have to find your niche to really shine early on. If you feel overwhelmed by all the skills, ships and modules try to think of what it is you want to achieve.

You can do alot of great things in T1 frigates, PVE *and* PVP, as long as you try not to take on everything and everyone thinking that you can always win. Pick a nice T2 frigate and you could even run lvl 4 missions in it later on, if you pay attention to its utility and fitting possibilities.

Find your niche and you will be close to those veterans in many cases. Training lvl 5 cruisers as you mentioned might not be the best idea if you are a new player as most probably your support skills (guns, tank, fitting possibilities, cap management etc) will not be up to the task.

You could definitely argue that this real time training system is not for you, but for me it means that I have a constant mini goal to reach, be it a new module or a new ship that I can get into. This flow of small achievements (well, it *is* waiting in some cases) makes want try that next thing.

What it also does is that training all those support skills might make you eligble for the next ship you aimed for previously, while also unlocking other possibilities.

The biggest difference between a player who played for a year and one who's been in there for five years is that the long time player will be able to fly *more* ships efficiently but not necessarily the one you picked as your favorite for the moment.

I have to say that I think EVE could be better at introducing players to the game in that it's not always easy to find that niche early on. Some feel overwhelmed by numbers and mechanics but it's usually quite logical (besides some of the item descriptions. CCP should *really* look over those).

We can't like every game out there, luckily there are many to choose from. EVE is original in some ways which makes some people shy away from it. For me, the real time training is what makes me able to play EVE at all. I simply have no time to sit in front of my computer hours at end playing games every day.

On the other hand there's still grind to be had. Money.

The skill training and the need for attention and calculating over how to set your ship up, whether to go to the next system to sell and even set up a trade route etc etc etc is what makes EVE shine to me.

That said, most games could be executed better. EVE isn't flawless.

Maybe Jumpgate will be a better choice for you since it is twitch based? I'll probably try it myself - only to get blown up (with a smile on my face).

Posted: May 12th 2009 10:34AM (Unverified) said

I've played EVE for a year. I most certainly found it to be immersive. It was fun to play and the perspective of the entire game was unlimited. Somehow however, I never got in touch with the 0.0 side of me and often got stuck doing only PvE, which eventually got boring. I've trained a large deal already, so if I'd decide to jump back in, I'd probably be able to ship some nice ships.

I sometimes feel an urge to go back, but I'd first have to really feel a drive to contact a pvp guild/corp with a decent attitude however and I'd have to lose my addiction to WoW, which has increased ever since WoTLK. I actually enjoy WoW again. Ev is one hell of a game though and I think it's doing a great job in simulating the perfect sandbox.

Posted: May 12th 2009 2:02PM (Unverified) said

Lots of good entries on how EvE works. My personal take on the matter is that it is still one of the most unforgiving environments out there, specially to those who are taking their first steps. But also, it's the most rewarding online experience one is bound to have - the veritable sandbox in which one can toil and craft and build from. EvE has taken a few steps towards making it a little easier on newcomers but still has that acid, sharp edge that makes it unique.

As for those saying one can't match old schoolers, it is, as above stated, all about specialization - and cunning. To have a skilled character is no guarantee one's going to win most confronts (let alone every single); one can still end up as a laughing stock if he doesn't play his cards right or if caught with pants down.

As for stealth bombers, can't say for sure as I haven't tried their new incarnation, but being fragile as they are and with torps having such short range (even with right fittings and good skills), I believe you're gonna need either a lot of SBs or a good number of support craft. Had this been with ol' torpedoes flight time / speed, it could have worked; maybe it'd be better to stick with cruise missiles (but keeping the covert cloak change), which would make stealth bombers frightening anti-frigate / anti-cruiser platforms.

Posted: May 12th 2009 3:46PM (Unverified) said

The changes to stealth bombers make them great additions to recon roaming gangs. Get 6 people in your gang to fly bombers, fit torp launchers and a bomb launcher, add an Arazu, a couple of Falcons, a couple of Rapiers, and a Pilgrim or three, and you've got a roving powerhouse of cloaked destruction.

In a gang like that those smaller ships you see while stalking your larger prey wouldn't really be a deterrent.

Splat!

Posted: May 12th 2009 8:54PM (Unverified) said

Now that sounds like a ton of fun!*

*Assuming that I can RMT all my ships and never mine a single freakin' rock. Please, CCP, give us that option, and I'll game myself into bankruptcy court. ;)

Posted: May 12th 2009 10:01PM Brendan Drain said

Most other ships can be part of practically any fleet successfully but if you mix stealth bombers into a non-stealth gang, the enemy are just going to pick them off. That means (as you said), they're best in recon gangs with other cloaked ships. I'm glad the new stealth bombers have a viable role in specialised recon gangs but since they typically require a lot more organisation and higher numbers than an average small gang, that somewhat restricts the use of stealth bombers to larger organised groups.

BTW, NT_, you can buy game time codes for cash and sell them in-game for isk. There's an officially supported system for converting game time codes into in-game items to be sold on the market.

Posted: May 12th 2009 4:28PM (Unverified) said

nice article. I love Stealth Bombers, nemesis is my favorite ship since sb update. But like previous post i miss some info about bombs itself. I'm wondering if you can still hit and run using it like before.

Posted: May 13th 2009 9:16AM (Unverified) said

Sorry to hear you had issues but some givens should taken into account.

First one is, bombers do not roam on there own or in gangs with just bombers. They can but like most gangs you also take something out there that has a set function, in this case a ceptor. You can run solo but as with anything you pick and choose your targets far heavily.

Also remember that all bombers should tackle. All my bomber fits run with tackle so I can set a orbit of 22 with mwd running and tackle happily, when there are another 6 tackle bombers with or without ceptor your prey is going nowhere fast. Tackle on a solo bomber should you run into that lovable unsuspecting hauler is a wonderful thing.

Comparing to a pack of cruisers is just wrong. You lose agility, stealth and speed in those ships compared to the bomber so whilst you may get more DPS that 3.5k volley on torps alone with a few in the pack is more than enough to wipe out most targets instantly. Yes some ships can cause you nightmares, but if its cruiser and up it will die far to fast to upset your pack balance much, if at all. Add in the sudden fear most pilots feel when an entire pack uncloaks on there ass and you have a distinct lack of ship control.

The bomber is a ballsey ship. Its requires you and your fleet to sometimes say "ok that ship might hurt us" and go for it anyway. Next time your out, try just taking something on and see how it works out, you may be surprised.

Oh yeah, 35-40 mill for a Hound if lost with fit. Don't go expensive and don't rig it, you don't need rigs, trust me, the 12 kills last night in the bomber pack prove that.

Just remember, the SB is not anti-bs. It really is anti anything stupid and above cruiser tbh :)

Posted: May 12th 2009 8:53PM (Unverified) said

Ok, back to the actual content of the article...

"The real kicker comes in the cost. A fitted stealth bomber will cost you from around 50 million isk, and that's before even thinking of putting expensive rigs on it. At that price, you could afford to lose a well-fitted battleship or several tech 2 fitted cruisers."

Really? What battleships/Tech 2 cruisers are you flying? Who is selling them to you? Last time I checked, both battleships and Tech 2 cruisers without fittings cost at least 50 mil, and decently fitted ships cost much, much more. Stealth bombers are a great alternative for those who can't fly battleships or prefer to fly smaller ships, but still want to be able to take down larger targets. True, they need support to tackle the target, but they're a gang ship.

Posted: May 12th 2009 9:09PM Brendan Drain said

I'm referring to the cost of losing a battleship or tech 2 fitted cruiser. That means I'm taking into account insurance. Adjusting for the cost and payout of insurance, losing a battleship doesn't cost a lot at all, the cost will be mostly fittings. And in case it wasn't clear, "tech 2 fitted cruiser" refers to a tech 1 cruiser which is fitted with tech 2 modules.

Posted: May 12th 2009 9:38PM (Unverified) said

Find a blob camping a gate with a dictor. get in 30-40 km range and wait until they engage a target. while they're busy with their pray you launch your bomb straight into the blob. poof. most likely you'll get a bunch of inties and maybe a few dictors.

Posted: May 17th 2009 2:13AM (Unverified) said

Have you ever considered using Remote sensor dampeners? If you use 4+ unit in a gang (2-3/bomber) then any ship what you and your gang face will take age to lock on to you. even small frigates. Add some target painters to it and your gang will kick ass. Though it is a theory of mine(never used bombers yet), it is a good option to keep the gang safe, and with dampeners in use, you can drop the speed and shield modules, to put on lots of dps modules.

Posted: May 15th 2009 6:44AM (Unverified) said

And if i'm not wrong, than drones won't be a problem too, becouse the enemy can't set them to attack you without locking on to your ship(s).
| 1 | 2 |

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM