Posted: May 10th 2009 12:49PM (Unverified) said

Well I have been bothered by the fact that most the video I have seen of Champions Online has CoH sounds and music. This does not help Cryptic against those who say CO is actually CoH2. And another thing. Anyone else think the latest clip for Star Trek Online's music sounds a bit like Star Wars?

Posted: May 10th 2009 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Pretty much echoing what many others here have said. I didn't realize how important incidental sounds were until I played RoM and I noticed they weren't there. Really kind of creeped me out.

Posted: May 10th 2009 3:12PM TheJackman said

Yep got bored and deleted the game from my pc after just 1 day :(
So much for free games...... Please someone make a good mmo that got the same or more account of content them WoW and the Music care of Blizzard and the world designed with not just nice graphics but also the tiny details that make the blizzard designs so great! Age of Conan and Warhammer where good steps but they both lag content! LOTRO is just not Lord of the rings for me try it did not like it at all!

Posted: May 10th 2009 4:06PM Zinkers said

Yes thats the only reason i dont play ROM. Its just hard to get into with no sound. Other than that its a great game.

Posted: May 10th 2009 4:18PM bylthe said

I have played several mmos like Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Runes of Magic, World of Warcraft and Guild Wars. I do agree the first time you are in an area and playing I enjoy the sound. But after being in an area where I am crafting and hear the same dam boring sound over and over again. Forget that crap, I am listening to real music. I dont want to hear no boring elavator music, I want the hear some heavy metal. If that makes me a not REAL gamer, than so be it!

Posted: May 10th 2009 4:45PM (Unverified) said

Very important. Immersion.

Posted: May 11th 2009 3:42AM SkuzBukit said

Wouldn't it be cool if the music was only played by in-game bands, or music based classes?

Got a bard in group? can identify how well they are playing by the tune? Can tell what stat they are boosting, what task they are carrying out by the music they use?

Go into an inn & there's a band playing, bands go on "tours" & you could follow them around the world to catch their gigs, or pick a favourite inn because of the house band?

I'd rather music was done like that, if I'm killing some heaving monstrosity in some deep dank hole in the underworld I don't expect an 82 piece Orchestra to have followed me down there (reminds of a scene in the spoof movie "I'm gonna get you sucka!" where a "Shaft" character is being followed down the street as they play his theme music).

Sounds, especially the incidental stuff adds a lot to the feel, polish & atmosphere but as soe posters have pointed out can have much more useful roles as audio cues, and it adds a whole other dimension & level of immersion to games, you should be playing with your ears as well as your eyes, & a developer neglecting to do that makes a big mistake.

Posted: May 11th 2009 8:41AM (Unverified) said

Ambient sounds are all part of the immersion. Sure, when you're in hardcore mode, like engaging in arena-style PvP or participating in a particularly difficult multiplayer dungeon delve, you tend to ignore those or shut them off. But when you're moving around in the game world and adventuring, those incidental sounds help add that final bit of authenticity and polish to a nice game experience.

Posted: May 11th 2009 2:08PM (Unverified) said

Incidental sounds are crucial to any game if you ask me. Part of the
game design process is to create, through immersion for the player, a living world isn't it? So a world void of sound doesn't feel right. I recently
tried Chronicles of Spellborn and the first thing that hit me was the
lack of ambient sounds. The world of Spellborn felt, well, like a
desolate place. There were people around sure, and NPCs of course...
still it felt empty.

Posted: May 11th 2009 11:04PM karnisov said

i often turn off all the sounds in mmos, since they usually are repetitive. other games i like sounds.

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM