Posted: May 7th 2009 1:14PM Crsh said

He's got his paradigms completely messed up.

iTunes = pay for whatever you want whenever you want it (no subscription model)

CD store = Pay for whatever you want whenever you want it (still no subscription model).

Both are like Free to Play MMOs; it's free, you pay for extras whenever you need them, but don't actually need it to keep playing.

I believe he should have compared the CD store (or iTunes, since they're basically the same) to a music club of sorts that gets you a new CD every month and "encourages" you to purchase more (like Columbia Club). AKA an actual subcription model..

Posted: May 7th 2009 1:21PM Softserve said

Pay for MMOs remind me more of the Zune Pass (or Napster, etc.) service. You pay $15 a month to have access to everything, but as soon as you stop it's gone. You have to pay again to use the stuff you've downloaded and might still be on your computer.

CDs don't just disappear magically. Neither do the MP3s you got from iTunes.

Posted: May 7th 2009 2:43PM (Unverified) said

The difference for me is, once I buy the CD, if it’s scratched or not working correctly, I have valid reason to complain. Additionally, the “I-Tunes” part is missing one ginormous factor, that while may not effect everyone, I’m personally not willing to deal with and that’s constant advertisement interruption or selling advantages.

While the games are free to play, they are not free to run. So, revenue must be made one of those ways if they don’t choose the subscription model. Flash player load screen’s of Michael Vick’s Dog care service, or some arbitrary Sidekick commercial. If I wanted to watch commercials, I’d still watch TV sans DVR. Now, I’ve yet to see a “premium” account or item mall that sold strictly cosmetic items that didn’t provide some level of advantage. And personally, I’m not going to play a pick up game w/ some friends, and have them show up w/ Dwayne Wade and act like it’s all good.

Some people are ok w/ it. I’m not. I’m ok $15 a month to play what I want, when I want, for as long as I want, w/ nothing being thrown in my face, and no one able to buy an advantage.

But, like my dad has always told me: You get what you pay for.

Posted: May 7th 2009 2:49PM AlamoeJones said

i prefer cd's to itunes and a flat fee to micro transactions. it seems like these are the choices it all boils down to. unless micro trans. in the u.s. actually BECOME micro i will not be playing any of the games that employ them.

also, if this guy is paying $18 for a normal cd he really needs to do some shopping around!

Posted: May 7th 2009 3:12PM Pingles said

I think they may have the analogy backwards.

iTunes is paying a little for only the best of the content. (I know most popular best...just bear with me!)

CD is paying more for the best plus the remainder.

F2P is usually giving you the mundane with the best saved for paying customers.

Posted: May 7th 2009 3:13PM Pingles said

Heh, was supposed to be "most popular does not equal best" but my symbols disappeared.