Posted: May 6th 2009 11:14PM (Unverified) said

Or, perhaps, you're wildly speculating on a case you have absolutely no inside knowledge about?

This was a good article (in that you quoted a sourse) but went wildly off course when you added speculation to it. This is how massively consistently fails.

Posted: May 6th 2009 11:16PM (Unverified) said

a source is a source of course of course, sorry for the typo :)

Posted: May 7th 2009 12:45AM karnisov said

it was probably settled. linden got caught with their pants down.

Posted: May 7th 2009 10:00AM (Unverified) said

I'm fairly certain it was just dropped, and not settled. If it was settled, it would have been dismissed with prejudice so it couldn't be refiled. Otherwise, there's no point in settling. My guess? Taser realized this was rather pointless, and perhaps followed the path they should have initially: DMCA.

Posted: May 7th 2009 11:22AM (Unverified) said

They can't use the DMCA, 'cause it's a *trademark* case, not a *copyright* case, growl, moan, whine.

(And yeah I know they might be able to use the DMCA *form*, and just cross out the part about copyright or something, but it still wouldn't be a DMCA notification! I know, I'm a pedant.)

My completely uninformed guess is that they filed the lawsuit just to get the Lab to return their calls, and it worked, so they took the lawsuit away again. :)

Posted: May 7th 2009 2:07PM (Unverified) said

My top two:

1. After further review, Taser's counsel decided they needed additional counsel on how to deal with the nuances of this issue and that counsel will come back with the recommended course of action in the not too distant future.

2. Someone on Taser's team spoke with someone on LL's team, had a quick chat and realized that this was probably going to drag and drag with no result or a result that would result with LL being slapped on the wrist.

Before I get mocked on possibility #2, not all lawyers are looking to jam up the docket just for a paycheck. Especially if two in-house counsel people get together. These types are very aware of the litigation budget and generally seek to avoid filing too many briefs.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly