Posted: May 7th 2009 3:53AM (Unverified) said

Having Pre-ordered and buying the Collectors Edition i was pretty upset when Tabula Rasa closed down.

Was even more pissed when they closed it down right after Richard Garriot came down from Space.

I was thinking that Richard Garriot went to space to try and improve Tabula Rasa and stuff.

Richard Garriot is great, he wasn't afraid to try out new ideas and he always cared about his subscribers.

I don't know if what he is saying is true or not, but still, putting a company that held your back for 4(?) years and sueing them for it?
I'd understand revealing your part of the story to the press... but sueing them is just too much.

It really all just boils down to money don't it?

Posted: May 6th 2009 6:04PM wjowski said

• 1 heart
That conman's actually suing *them*?

Posted: May 6th 2009 6:56PM Xii said

Good, I hope he takes them to the cleaners.

The way NCSoft had handled the entire game, and their termination of Destination Games, has completely soured me on them.

NCSoft has botched their Western releases time and time again - the only reason they're even a player over here is the incredibly talented developers they bought up.

Posted: May 6th 2009 11:31PM (Unverified) said

well, they are fixin to sink city of heroes into the ground. positron just made the gaming community mad, ant they are fixing to go to champions and dc universe. I knew this was going to happen when they left cryptic, Emmert should have fired positron then let them go to NC Soft.

Posted: May 7th 2009 11:22AM (Unverified) said

I hope NCSoft burns to ground

Posted: May 7th 2009 4:17PM (Unverified) said

Oh....now this is just juicy.

Posted: May 7th 2009 9:53PM (Unverified) said

should have left in the unicorns

Posted: May 9th 2009 12:02PM Lateris said

I hope he wins the rights back to the game.

Posted: May 10th 2009 4:02PM Teki said

yeah, me too. the last content patch was pretty nice, too bad they released it after they announced the cancellation of TR>

Posted: May 11th 2009 11:06PM Lateris said

I was hoping that there would be a space game in TR. I bet they settle.

Posted: May 15th 2009 2:59AM (Unverified) said

I've got two things to say. One, given this information I sort of hope Garriot wins. Second thing is I hope another publisher buys Aion and Guild Wars 2 before then so it'll actually come out on this side of the globe :p

Posted: Jun 18th 2009 10:53PM (Unverified) said

I was in TR pretty much until the end and pretty much saw this coming as soon as NCSoft announced the formation of NC West. As soon as that open letter hit my email I knew the game was being closed.

I think that NCWest wanted the full rights to Lineage2 back in house and didn't want to continue the relationship with the Garriotts. The rest is all window dressing, and RG's options are probably voting stock with full privs -- I noticed they didn't include the schedule on the court documents that detailed the options and how they were detailed. They wanted to boot him and most likely the chunk of stock he held was pretty substansial for a disgruntled ex-executive to control. They forced him to sell so he couldn't vest them. The supposed loss of value assumes they would be worth MORE than they are now, and it could easily go DOWN. They also don't mention how many total options there were, but if he is claiming 27M in LOSSES then he had a LOT of options.

He isn't worried about employment, he has already sold off 2 game companies so he will just start another. If he even decides to do that. Most likely he charged a fair amount of the cost of that spaceflight back to NCSoft for the promotional consideration.

I think both sides are a bit in the wrong here, and moderately sure RG makes a bad employee. NC Soft was making money on TR on an ongoing basis but never paid off the development costs (NC is a public company, just like EA) from what I read... so they could have left it up and made money at it but it was chaff in their desire to cut all ties with RG. I bet that RG does want TR back even if he doesn't relaunch it -- and its something that NC could give up at no cost. Both sides save face, and whatever money goes with it is confidential so both sides claim victory.

This is further supported by the extreme generosity from NC to the ex-TR players. I had a fair amount of my sub refunded beyond what they had to, they gave me digital access to CoH (already had, but...) Lineage 2, and now Aion as well as pretty decent amounts of free play. Thats a very hefty payout in lost box sales and monthly fees to recapture the players.

I beta-tested Auto Assault, and don't blame them for closing THAT stinker down at all.

Swordsman launches today