Posted: May 5th 2009 12:57PM Gaugamela said

It is a nice article. However, i am disapointed with one thing: In all of the graphs WAR achieves values at the same level of LotRO and EVE and in many cases superior to one or both of those games. Yet, it is only mentioned once in the article almost at the end. The author mentions the niche offered by LotRO (even though it's focus is PvE just as WoW...) and EVE and "forgets" to mention the RvR niche and WAR. How convenient...
It seems that WAR as garnered really bad press and a loyal "hatebase". It would be nice that more of the spotlight would be given to it when in comparisons like this one it shines against games of the same market.
This article doesn't seems to have been originally written by Massively so i'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt about favouritism torwards LotRO and EVE (although you guys truly are EVE biased - the amount of articles about it is huge...).

Posted: May 5th 2009 1:25PM (Unverified) said

All of this data is worthless outside of the gigantic qualifying statement: "of the GamerDNA userbase". I'd bet real wads of money that, in reality, the second most played game by WoW players is some nonsense like Bejeweled or something on pogo.com or wherever the so-called "casuals" congregate on the intertubes now.

I'm a fairly hardcore gamer. I don't have as many marathon sessions as I used to, but I've been playing now for a solid twenty years and I have probably had very few days in that time where I didn't at least play SOMETHING. Having said that, I don't use gamerDNA and I don't personally know anyone who does. As far as I can tell, there are two types of people who use GamerDNA: the "e-peen" crowd, and the "social networking" crowd. Even besides that, I''m almost certain that there is a very large age bias there as well.

TLDR: If anything, GamerDNA only targets the "hardcore" demographic, and it doesn't even target that demographic very well. Looking at the numbers is interesting, but it doesn't really tell us anything useful.

Posted: May 5th 2009 1:27PM myr said

I'd like to see some info about FFXI personally; two million active characters in a game where most players only have one or two toons (due to additonal fees plus the job change system) is likely more than a lot of other games have.

Then again, I'm biased there I guess...

Posted: May 5th 2009 2:15PM toychristopher said

I want a new game! Something like EVE but in a fantasy setting but with better character customization. And a pony.

Posted: May 5th 2009 2:24PM Scopique said

Pope Jamal has it partially right...gamerDNA's data is based on a self-selecting sample, so there's a very real possibility that it IS biased in some ways. I suppose that with the largest playerbase in the West, WoW players have a greater chance of signing up with gDNA then any other game's population does.

Even so, this is an "across the board" style report, comparing what the majority segment (WoW players registered with gDNA) ALSO plays. It's not to be extrapolated to the greater gamer population.

I just wish gDNA would come up with some analysis that don't involve WoW for once.

Posted: May 5th 2009 8:17PM engrey said

You can not draw any conclusions from this, however we like statistics and believe them blindly. Like in the election some news places will sample 2300 people and from that draw a conclusion to who is more favorable.

Unless you are doing a vast majority of the WoW player base and not just from one single group your results will be way off. The same can be said about Xfire which is more widely used but it still does not prove anything.

I hate these kinds of studies since the test sample is just one group. If the people where from GamerDNA, Xfire, Xbox live, and the games them self then you would have a much wider and more thorough result.

Posted: May 5th 2009 6:32PM happyfish said

I thought the following quote was interesting:

"An all you can eat restaurant is not the same thing as, say, a short order diner. Asking MMO players to make room in their hearts and wallets for another all you can eat joint is a major marketing challenge. But asking these same players to make room for a regular trip to a food court is much easier. There is lots of room to grow in the "shorter sessions necessary" niche."

Maybe this is where the free to play genre from Asia will take a foothold here. I'm willing to pay for one monthly sub at a time, anything more just seems like a waste of money to me. I'd love to try some of the newer MMOs like AoC or War again, but I really dont want to pay for a monthly sub again.

Posted: May 5th 2009 7:03PM (Unverified) said

Yes I think this is where it gets interesting. The data shows there is a hunger for Massively Multiplayer games, and folks are playing multiple subscription based as well as free and item based ones.

I think interesting part of the article for me, is that you can start to see how there is a market out there beyond WoW. That people want the massively connected worlds, in their setting and model of choice, and possibly how to reach out to these gamers.

Posted: May 5th 2009 8:38PM (Unverified) said

I like Gamer DNA's studies but if Gamer DNA really thinks that one can discover untapped niches within the broader MMO market from a sample in which the average number of hours played is upwards of four hours for each of the major subscription based titles, then they're at best misinterpreting the data. While I recognize these are median values, an average of 4+ hours per play session/day is not representative of the vast majority of MMO players or gamers more generally. Those kind of numbers represent an extremely small minority of players and the data is then only applicable for trends within that small community. If one had some numbers for titles like Fusionfall, Wizard 101, and Habbo Hotel as well as subscription titles direct from the publishers, then the assertions made in this article would have wider merit.

Posted: May 6th 2009 8:33AM Lamthara said

Wow is a time wasting game... that is right :)
it's the way the game is designed that pushes you play quite a lot. If you want to raid i guess you have to spend at least three hours from the raid entrance to the end (wipes included :P )

Some instances are faster (you can do them in 30 minutes if you really run...) but the fact is that once you've finished lvling and you have a good gear the instances are quite useless and you do them only to power lvl the low guildmates...

I guess we should need a new mmorpg :( something with a nice gameplay but that doesn't deserve that much time to be played

...eve asks less time, that right, but if you want to do something with your corp mates works just like Wow.... and the "jump-warp-jump-warp...." is very boring.. when you have to meet with the others and you have 20 jumps in front of you maybe you're pushed to log off more than go in autopilot. Ehi does this explain the charts :P ?