Posted: May 4th 2009 8:19PM (Unverified) said

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been to 5 comic/card shops in the Baltimore MD area and they've never even heard of it and don't plan on buying the cards at all.

Posted: May 4th 2009 8:42PM (Unverified) said

That's because they will probably be sold in Gamestops and Walmarts, not comic book stores.

Posted: May 4th 2009 8:55PM Pingles said

I tried playing the online version in the game.

Stars, what?

Count the gems, huh?

I went back to mining...

I'm such an old geezer...

Posted: May 5th 2009 6:18AM (Unverified) said

Yep, for a game aimed primarily for kids, the card game is way too complicated , even for me at 42.

Posted: May 5th 2009 8:50AM Pingles said

44 here and I get the feeling that it's too complicated for US, not them. My nephew showed me a card game at Christmas and about halfway through his explanation I was weeping with confusion.

Somehow at 12 I could memorize the instructions to the Tobruk bookshelf game but somewhere along the line I lost the patience for that stuff.

Posted: May 5th 2009 5:12PM (Unverified) said

Ha, trust me, the card game is not that complicated for anyone who's ever heard the word "Pikachu." And if you've played Magic, this is a walk in the park. Then again, if you can play Magic, you can play damn near anything.

So the card game isn't totally easy. But that's the great thing about Free Realms -- it's got something for everyone. I'm just lucky enough that I'm the kind of person who likes it all!

Posted: May 6th 2009 4:12AM (Unverified) said

There's a lot of stuff here that - sadly - isn't as well-presented/explained as the basics. Stars, for example, are used to level-up abilities (so you can improve your brawler's Leg Sweep by investing your stars in it) and coins are used to buy items. But there's also your Station Wallet that's used for RMTs... /boggle.

The worst part though is the card tutorial. It introduces about five concepts at once, makes no effort to explain the why/how of things (aside from "click here to do this") and just batters you over the head with a bunch of meaningless terms. It's a shame, as it looks interesting but the tutorial was obviously written by its designer. It would have made more sense to get a new player to play it and write from their experiences first, THEN get the designer to polish it.

As it stands, the card game is definitely the most obscure part of the game and it's a shame, as it looks pretty neat.

Posted: May 5th 2009 3:06AM Ironraptor said

There was a time long ago when I used to play TCG (Magic, Yugi, Star trek,etc)
I learn one lesson its a big waste of money. Want the good cards have to pay $$$ then over time the cards are retired from official games or the game dies. Then its back to the same cycle of buying more again in a few months.

Posted: May 5th 2009 6:12AM Miffy said

They only sell because of Loot cards and people want the kool items. If Blizzard did it with WoW and started putting all the best items in TCG then I bet they'd sell like the expansions.

Posted: May 5th 2009 9:03AM (Unverified) said

Last I checked WoW did have some fairly cool loot items in there TCG. Rare pets and such.

Posted: May 6th 2009 12:19PM Miffy said

Yeh but noone gives a shit about pets and they hardly advertise the thing. If they milked it like SOE and put the best in game items in there like say one of them saw robot mount thingys and then let you purchase them in game then it would sell like mad.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM