Posted: May 3rd 2009 8:15AM Grok said

I won't be buying any collector editions ever again and for that matter I won't be participating in any "founder programs".

Too many lies and broken promises in the last several years have proven to me that the marketing teams that come up with these packages are out of touch with the market and out of touch with their own development team.

During launch of WotLK, the manager of the EB games in my area was shocked when he had several CEs available and nobody wanted them as he walked down the 100 person line.

In the future, CEs will need to offer substantially more for me to entertain the notion of picking one up.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 8:18AM Boruk said

CE's worked great before when games had these things called "open Beta" that would allow players to play their game before buying. That way a lot of people got a chance to make sure they really liked the game or not and could make a good decision on picking up a CE.

Nowadays too many games coming out are unfinished or "querky" at start up and game companies know this so they shy away from real open beta buy sticking a pay to play tag on it buy going through Fileplanet paying subscribers and such.

Want CE's to come back as a great commodity item?...make stable, well designed games with an open beta that promotes people playing the game before it is launched.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 8:37AM (Unverified) said

I've been known to pick up a CE or two in my day, I enjoy the additional art, might even watch the DVD of the making of...I enjoy the collection aspect of it, the look of it verses the retail box, and the Idea more than the actual product or what you get. I know that when blizz's next game comes out i'm going to be searching for the CE, It's fun afterall and that's what games are about. It's not just the "oh what do i get for it?!" aspect of the CE it's the collection...hence the name.

Just my two cents.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 9:11AM Greeen said

It depends - some I picked up were really nice, e.g. AoC, or, even better, WAR. An art-book, a "story"-comic was what really did it for me. the figure that came along was a nice bonus, but I could have picked that up anytime. They really but some effort into it, unlike others.
WOTLK was in way also nice, but I bought it after I had registered a regular version - you can't register for WoW an additional key, so the ingame perks are lost unless you do another account.
Speaking of, most ingame items are rarely that great. Maybe the first 5 levels, or, you get "cheated" in as much, as the same perk is granted later to most others.
And then finally, making of DVDs or so. I don't watch them, and sooner or later you can see it on youtube. Game-music CD - perhaps, yes. But do I need an expensive CE for that?
45 days sometimes instead of 30 days gametime, better than nothing I guess.

So a game like Jumpgate evolution which I am curious about, but not crazy, I will not get a CE.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 9:19AM (Unverified) said

I have never purchased a collector's edition but, to be honest, have been tempted. It's too much of a gimmick in most cases so I don't do it. As a previous poster said, especially if there is not extended beta.

Now that I've said that, I will admit there is a 84% chance I will buy the Diablo III collector's edition, if there is one. There is a slight chance for the Old Republic, but I doubt it.

It's just too risky. They need to offer more for the price.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 9:29AM (Unverified) said

I never buy CEs. The cost rarely justifies the items that are included with it, whether they are physical or in-game. Fancy packaging doesn't interest me either -- my games are all in a drawer, and I don't display them as if they are art.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 9:29AM (Unverified) said

My answer is simple:

Never have, never will.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 9:54AM Miffy said

If the CE don't give you anything in game then I don't buy them because I don't care about having concept art that I can get online or the sound track which you can get online etc etc.

If it was the CE of ToR and it gives you some special kool vehicle or something then I would buy it.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 10:21AM (Unverified) said

I am forever done with CEs as well. The last one I bought into was Warhammer Online :( big waste of near 100 bucks :(

Posted: May 4th 2009 4:51PM Chriskovo said

I kinda liked the Warhammer CE ed. But it depened on what class you played im stilll carrying around a dwarfs head as a trophie on my squig herder, it looks awesome. The comic book was nice too.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 10:29AM Lateris said

I usually wait a year to see if I am still playing the game and to see if the price dropped.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 11:24AM Aldrat said

I think I would rather have the extra $10-$15 for the CE go towards paying for another month of the game :)

Posted: May 3rd 2009 11:51AM Ninevah said

I've bought a few CEs in my time and generally been disappointed with them--and most of the times, with the entire game itself. At this point, I'd only buy them for a game I'm REALLY excited for, like Champions Online--and then only if it's offering something I think I'd like. Other than that, though, I won't.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 12:05PM engrey said

The only CE I ever have bought was for WAR and it was nice. However having early access to the game was fun but WAR was just not the thing for me after following the hype and glory for 8 months straight.

I would buy a CE for something like SCII or Diablo III but not for another MMO.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 12:16PM agitatedandroid said

First, I think it depends on the game. Then again, I was one of the dopes that bought the CE for AoC. Maybe a year from now when that game's worth playing I won't feel so bad.

JGE, I doubt it. Old Republic, think that will depend on what's on offer. TOR really ought to have at the least a soundtrack CD and I imagine considering the videos they've put out a making of. Though, if the TOR making of is just a re-edit of what has already been made available on their site, what's the damn point?

Really, it comes down to in-game items. Too often the in-game item is just a gimmick. You hardly ever use it/see it. It's not special enough to really brag about having.

In game pets? Only time you see them in WoW is when someone gets bored waiting for a party member to get back from an AFK. Mammoth Mount? Rather impractical in most of the game and wonky at release. Special housing item? You're the only one that sees it and rarely at that cause there's never a reason to be in your house.

Often enough these in-game items are dumbed down so as not too be too amazing. For some reason it's not seen as fair for those that ponied up the ducats to have something that the come-latelys don't.

If I'm going to pay upwards of $40 or more and put my faith in a game's success, basically bankrolling the early months of release while a game builds a name, I want my special item to actually be special. I want it to be something I'm still using at level 200 and that still makes newbie eyes glaze over with jealousy.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 12:45PM mszv said

Depends on how much into "things" you are!

I love my collector edition boxes, though I agree that they cost way too much money. I like the books, the toys, the maps, the music CDs, all that.. I'm tempted by all that's in that shiny pretty Jumpgate Evolution box. But - I have to resist. Space combat is not really my thing - but darn, that collectors edition looks so great!

Posted: May 3rd 2009 12:55PM engrey said

I think Mythic did a nice job with their in-game items. Depending on where you got the game Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, those places you would get a different ring. But everyone received a camp and I think XP bonus for a short time. Along with a unique head (well it was more of a mask) that you could put on your character.

CE people got in the game 4-5 days early while regular pre-orders where 2-3 days early before the general public.

This seems fair to be but like Chris said, you are helping to fill the coffers for a month or two and be the dedicated fan base that is expected to keep playing for some time.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 12:56PM (Unverified) said

You can usually pick them up on ebay for around 10 bucks if wait for a couple of months with most MMO's if you "gotta have it" but are somewhat patient.
I got one CE in my day on ebay and honestly it was for the item. Cost me 10 bucks plus some shipping. /shrug.

Other then that, IMHO they are a complete waste of money at retail pricing.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 1:43PM mysecretid said

Never been seriously tempted before, but Star Trek Online might be the one game which makes me take the plunge.

CE boxes are always hideously overpriced, so it will all depend on whether the goodies in the (theoretical) Star Trek Online Collectors' Edition actually justify the inevitable inflated cost.

Somehow I doubt the CE stuff will measure up -- all CE stuff usually amounts to cheap souvenirs sold for far more than they're worth.

Posted: May 3rd 2009 1:45PM (Unverified) said

As I's typing this I see my both my WAR and AOC collectors boxes. Though I doubt I will pick one up again anytime soon. I do agree Mythic did one of the best ones I have seen. I thought the hardbound comic was pretty good, it gave you a pretty cool intro into the world; and it gave you an idea of what was going on when you logged in.

CE's are great if you really want to get into the world and support it as much as you can. Otherwise you may just be throwing good money after bad.