Posted: Apr 30th 2009 6:54PM (Unverified) said

I've played the top 3 ones. All are very enjoyable. I still have RoM on my computer, I only stopped playing that because Free Realms went into beta. I may go back to RoM but I'm having fun in FR for now.

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 7:18PM (Unverified) said

my top 5:

1. Free Realms- AWESOME, do anything, play it, nuff said
2. Requiem- often overlooked beautifully gory MMO
3. Ace Online- Star Fox the MMO= oh yeah!
4. Atlantica- turn based goodness Final Fantasyish MMO FTW
5. Lunia- obscure beatemup MMO with onlockable classes

Special Mention: Savage 2- gorgeous MMO/FPS/RTS, wow.... and its free

Posted: May 8th 2009 2:06AM RyogaVee said

I took a look at ace online.. WOW

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 7:49PM Zontix said

Yea vince, savage 2 is pretty awesome...they should make a free MMORPG with those graphics heh.

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 8:40PM organiclockwork said

Great list, and very accurate. Exactly what I would have said. Though to be frank, I didn't really care for SMT very much, but it's still one of the better F2P MMOs. I do feel, though, that Atlantica deserved a spot on this list. Perhaps in place of Shin Megami Tensei. Either way, great article. :3

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 9:23PM (Unverified) said

1. Free Realms - I guess we all like it! Fantastically fun
2. Runes of Magic - I really does take the edge off. Barely, but just.
3. Ace Online - Way better than Starfox (with less toads and more cleavage too)
4. Drift City - Almost as fun as Free Realms. Cars + crafting = purejoy
5. Atlantica - Of course.

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 9:37PM karnisov said

umm no mention of Puzzle Pirates? Its completely possible to do anything in that game without putting any real money into it. Excellent puzzles too. Free Realms has some nice bugs atm, chat servers down, broken jobs (kart drivers can't get exp), crashes to desktop.

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 10:16PM CCon99 said

Wow, no Wizard 101? I actually think W101 is better then Free Realms.

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 11:14PM GRT said

Yeah, he discounts Wizard 101 as being a "Freemium" game, but lists Free Realms. I don't get it. Ditto Fusion Fall.

Posted: May 1st 2009 12:40AM CCon99 said

Yeah, I don't get it at all. W101 and Free Realms have the same exact subscription models, both are free to play with the option of premium subscriptions. Maybe the writer is getting some of that John Smedley payola that's going around?

Posted: May 1st 2009 1:12AM Seraphina Brennan said

As to why list Free Realms and not W101 or FusionFall, it's because they are different subscription models. Free Realms offers a flat subscription for extra classes, however they are exactly that -- extra. You can play the entire area of the game without even touching those jobs. You can proceed to the end of the class you desire (as long as it isn't a "gold" class) without any locks on the player's progression.

W101 and FusionFall charge for the rest of the games if a player wishes to progress further, thus locking down progression. I wanted to provide readers with games that they can reach the end of without paying extra money.

However, as I said before, W101 and FusionFall and Chronicles are all amazing games and were easily going to make the list. We play them a lot around the Massively offices. Perhaps in a future article, I'll talk about those games. However, for this list, the focus was purely on free-to-play games.

Sorry, your John Smedley conspiracy theories will have to wait another day. I like W101 and FusionFall. :)

Posted: Apr 30th 2009 11:12PM GRT said

• 1 heart
Funny, Free Realms wants to charge me a subscription. You guys must have an in.

Posted: May 5th 2009 1:22PM organiclockwork said

Free Realms subscription is optional. You can still play the vast majority of the game's content without one. That is all.

Posted: May 1st 2009 12:04AM (Unverified) said

i wanted to play Runes of Magic for the housing it has, but unless you want to shell out real money monthly, then don't bother with it really. After 10 objects(from a single lamp to a bed) your house needs energy to expand, don't buy the in game currency then you can't buy energy. The house consumes this energy at a fixed rate, so you have to keep buying more and more energy.

Posted: May 1st 2009 12:19AM cray said

Drift City deserves a mention, so does Atlantica Online. Although the latter kind bored me with their turn-based warfare.

Posted: May 1st 2009 3:13AM (Unverified) said

How much are all these news sites getting paid to hype Free Realms??? It's a piece of garbage with few mini-games, bad combat, 3/4 of the content locked off to non-subscribers or those who don't want to use the SC shop (c'mon even pets are pay2permanent now...yet the pet trainer job was supposedly free...pah!)

It's not even great for kids, unless their parents are willing to give them a $30 a month allowance for all the stuff they'll have to buy to just be cool ingame.

Posted: May 1st 2009 3:51PM Darkwood71 said

I subscribed to FR just too see how much extra content was released as a result, and I found it to be much less than 3/4s of the game. In actuality, the subscription content is only 1/4 to at most 1/3 of the game's content.

I do agree with your pet trainer assertion. The final result of that is a bit silly in my opinion, but then, I don't care much for it to begin with, so no big loss there.

Posted: May 1st 2009 10:13AM (Unverified) said

How come Mabinogi is on the list where I can't even play the game? It can only be played on certain areas like U.S. Region and some countries but here in South East Asia we can't play the game. We have to use ip blocker software just to play it and 10 mins after logging in you get disconnected. So I gave up on playing it.

Atlantica should be on the list.

Posted: May 1st 2009 11:38AM (Unverified) said

I may have missed something here... but what about PWI? It's very much a free to play MMO and quite polished too. I've enjoyed it far more than the entire list, and would love to see more players!

Posted: May 1st 2009 12:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Maple Story. FTW. Now. All must submit.