Posted: Apr 24th 2009 1:46PM (Unverified) said

I am very interested in seeing how this works out; or if it even works at all. How far reaching will this be?

If I own a store and hire 'models' to jump on a pose stand wearing my creations is LL going to regulate the activities of my 'employees?' To me, that would be the easiest way around this for the campers. Make them wear your clothes or if you don't sell clothing, make them wear a t-shirt that advertises your goods or services. I doubt LL is going to let themselves get to the point where they nit-pick these things. They have never had the staff for proper enforcement of any of their rules.

Posted: Apr 24th 2009 2:42PM (Unverified) said

"Fluffy clouds." :D

Posted: Apr 24th 2009 4:55PM (Unverified) said

I would think "relying on the green dot effect" by using bots to make lots of dots on a parcel on the grid map, whether the bots are exempted from traffic figures or not, logically constitutes using bots to influence traffic by drawing residents to an otherwise vacant parcel. This too should be treated as a ToS violation.

Moe, if you read the policy closer it specifically excludes model bots, which can be exempted from traffic. Issue solved.

Posted: Apr 24th 2009 6:01PM (Unverified) said

The thing is that campers _are_ trafficbots. It used to be the case that bots were not quite as easy to program, hence, the practice arose of offering money for people to perform the same service. That is all that it ever was; when bots became simpler, people were not offered money to camp (or, in areas where they still were, bots farmed said money).

If traffic bots are to be banned then camping does need to be banned as well.

Posted: Apr 24th 2009 6:04PM (Unverified) said

Finally something is going to be done... but maybe too late? As Tat said, Traffic isn't what it used to be with the new ALL tab in search.. Also what about all the extra resources these accounts use? Defiantly need to look into the use of Traffic and resources I think.

Garn

Posted: Apr 24th 2009 6:37PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Cool, I wonder if they can pull it off and make it effective. It's a hard task to spot and to enforce as you mention Tateru.

I know I logged in at 4am LA time the other day, most Americans would be asleep and there are very few Oceania players according to the stats... but there were 66,000 online people. Amazing.

I really don't think that the European timezones have 66,000 online people (cause that would only mean 20,000 from America a 3:1 stat not reflected in the nationality figures) so my guess is a huge number of these are just bots and campers left on idle while their owners sleep or their gold harvesting operators spam other games.

Heh, maybe once bots and campers are eliminated the current 80,000+ concurrent user number will drop down to more realistic 2006 levels of 10,000 or less real people in world... a number much more reflective of this game's true popularity and a HUGE saving in infrastructure needs and bandwidth costs by the Lab.

Posted: Apr 25th 2009 6:37AM (Unverified) said

step by step debug settings to detect bots & text viewers: By Eric Lyon

1.) hold CTRL + ALT + D (This will open the Advanced menu link next to HELP up top)

2.) Click Advanced menu

3.) scroll down to "Debug Settings" & click it

4.) In the debug search type "AvatarCompositeLimit" (all one word) - set the # below to "0"

5.) next, in debug search type "RenderUnloadedAvatar" (All one word) - Set bellow to "TRUE"

6.) now shut down your viewer & restart it

That's it, done, now MOST bot & text viewer avatar will show up solid gray skin & clothes. Only prims can be seen in color.

Posted: Apr 27th 2009 1:26AM (Unverified) said

interesting...I wonder how harder it will be for newbies to get free money once this kicks in full strength in comparisson to how it was when I came to SL, over the time I've notice a trend of free money getting harder and harder to get in SL, and now this...

though perhaps, if the propportion of camping bots over working camping chairs that do pay well is as obscene as many people seem to believe it is, perhaps there won't be much change...

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance