Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 8:18AM (Unverified) said

It's weird, I was just thinking about which MMO I was most looking forward to, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Star Trek Online or Jumpgate Evolution, and then I find this post on here... Have you been reading my mind again? ;-)

Anyways, I would have to say I'm probably most looking forward to STO simply because it's the Universe I'm most familiar with having grown up with three series of ST on TV, although I will most definitely be giving both ST:TOR and JE a whirl too. As much as I love playing fantasy MMOs (LotRO and WoW in particular), it's about time a new (and hopefully excellent) sci-fi MMO came out...

Roll on June and Jumpgate Evolution I say, (well maybe)...

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 8:22AM Krystalle Voecks said

If I was able to read people's minds I'd be making a lot more money. ;D I suspect we both just have awesome ideas.

That, and I've been trying to decide which of these will suck up what little free time I have - they all look really great!

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 8:20AM (Unverified) said

I was very much looking forward to ST:O with the idea that you'd have many players working aboard a ship together, but with the collapse of Perpetual and the change of focus to single player/single ship, I'm not nearly as excited about it any more. Also, not excited by the new screenies coming out.

Much more excited about SW:TOR now.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 8:20AM (Unverified) said

Jumpgate, just because I heart the guys at NetDevil so much.

Can Champions count as a sci-fi MMO too? There's... ya know, technology and whatnot.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 8:26AM Krystalle Voecks said

There really are lots of games that fit under the header of sci-fi. We could easily add in Champs, DCUO, Agency, Secret World, etc. even thought they're typing themselves as 'comic-book' or 'spy' or 'horror' since there are arguably going to be sci-fi tech type elements to all of them. It's just a question of how far you want to blur the lines, really.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 8:34AM (Unverified) said

Mainly SW:OR. Jumpgate might be fun, but I'm not sure I expect it to beat EVE in the long run for complexity and depth. STO looks promising, but it doesn't sound like a "proper" MMO if you see what I mean...more closed Guild Wars style worlds.

I am however, looking forward to the agency. This might be the first SOE game since planetside that looks utterly awesome.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:13AM Rodj Blake said

Earthrise looks very promising.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:11AM Jhaer said

I will beta them all if invited, and I'll try them all if there is a free way to do it, but sadly I probably won't end up paying for any of them. As much as I want to love an MMO, I'm just not a fan of the direction the interaction with the user is taking. I am really turned off by floating punctuation over NPC heads, I dislike third person design... I've come to realize that I am a niche market and either my MMO days are over, or I'm going to have to build one myself.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:12AM (Unverified) said

Well I wasn't sold on the MMO concept when Galaxies came out, and being a huge fan of the SW universe (to the point of owning every novel and probably being able to recite the entire 6000+ year SW timeline if given enough hours in a day) it's probably good that I missed it considering everyone I know who played it said it was a travesty.

I'm therefore cautiously getting my hopes up for SW:TOR. I'm 100% sure I will buy it, but its quality will determine how much I play it. There's a long list of things I would do to get into a TOR beta, whereas I've never even heard of most of the other ones.

A Fallout MMO would be fun, for sure, but I'm not sure how immersed I could get into that world. I suppose I'd just have to try it and see (and I *would* try it). Star Trek is kinda meh for me. There's not a whole lot of "epic" to Star Trek in my opinion but it could probably be good.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:18AM (Unverified) said

I've been salivating over Earthrise now for some time. The screenshots look gorgeous, and i'm all for a post-apocalyptic MMO. Unfortunately, looks like i have some time to wait, so i'll probably try Jumpgate when it comes out, and also STO.

Good to see loads of new sci-fi MMOs on the horizon. Certainly time to diversify the MMO market!

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:18AM (Unverified) said

Love mah Sci fi, I'm looking forward to pretty much all of these and i'm guessing they're all going to come out months apart from eachother - why not try them all? Although there is that box price...I Digress - SW:OR, ST:O, JE, StargateWorlds, and Maybe one or two of those post apocalyptic ones that Shawn speaks so highly about.

It's ok to just list them all out right?

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:24AM Krystalle Voecks said

You sound like me. I'm like a kid in a toy store with all these coming out. "Oooh, I want that... and that... and that... and...."

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:26AM (Unverified) said

Black Prophecy, JGE, and STO.

BP - b/c it looks stunning. Still need a lot of info, but it looks like a FAST dog fighter. I just want to know what kind of depth it has past that. Plus, Cap ship turrets = awesome.

JGE - B/c I think it'll be one of the few games out that looks amazing, no matter what system you are on (their min reqs are a P3... A P3... A P3!!! My parents have a better CPU then that!) which will make grouping, pvp, and all around playability very cool.

STO - b/c it's looking like a simplier (i.e. - not an economic simulator) EVE, combined w/ what I think a good Star Wars mmo could be. I'm excited for it. A lot. Ground,

It's going to be tough for me to choose only 1 or 2 of these. Even tougher, will be my current MMO's ability to keep me intrigued.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:30AM Minofan said

Most interested in The Old Republic and Star Trek Online.
Might try out various space-flight ones, but I'm not convinced I could get engrossed in an MMO with no character to play as.

A big meh to all FPS types, and I'm not too confident of Otherland and Stargate ever making it to market (I'm not that big a fan of either IP regardless).

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:31AM (Unverified) said

just to clarify - by a good SW mmo, I mean space and ground combat, whereas thus far, TOR has shown no space combat (and I think they said there wouldn't be any?).

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:40AM chrischob said

I think I am looking forward to Star Wars the most since it's a Bioware game. If they made a game where all you did was type in 6 numbers into a computer every 28 minutes I'd probably buy that too!

I hope Jumpgate is good and doesn't end up like Earth and Beyond. I hope Stargate actually comes out and isn't dumped on us before it's done like Conan or Vanguard, I don't think I can play another MMORPG that isn't finished on release.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 9:48AM Wensbane said

I can't wait for Jumpgate Evo and The Old Republic.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 10:09AM (Unverified) said

Fallen Earth looks like junk, like Tabula Rasa with worse art.

STO looks cool, I don't understand why people have a problem with not being able to be ship's engineer. I mean, I don't want to sit around all day waiting for the chance to divert power to different places or watch the power core go critical. Interviews with the dev team have also stated that there are systems in place to develop that type of thing in the future, but for launch they're devoting their time to dynamic frontier generation and captaining a ship. Things that every player is going to want to do at some point, even the people who want to start as engineers.

SW:TOR also looks great, though it seems like they're setting it up as PvP centric. Which is not necessarily bad, I just don't like that there's no option to be a Neutral or Republic-aligned Bounty Hunter. Their rational against neutrality is that it's "Star Wars, not Star Stay Neutrals" or something like that, but then they release Nal Hutta and describe its denizens as neutral. I always chafe when people put in something that an NPC can be that a player cannot.

I would hate to see a Fallout MMO. Interplay is certainly not the company they were when the game was originally released, and Bethesda can't be trusted with it to make it into anything but Fallout with Oblivion-quality (read: bad) combat and dialogue.

As for the rest I haven't heard much about any of them. Stargate I can only speak of on its IP, which I am not thrilled with as a concept for an MMO.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 3:37PM Slob Zombie said

I hear what you're saying about waiting around for your chance to do something mundane, but it wouldn't have to be like that.

Imagine a game where the individual efforts on a ship lead to increased performance for everyone. Like an engineer, if he does his job well the ship can go faster or the shields are stronger or he can repair damage like a healer. A gunner can kill faster by being a good shot. The... steerer (?) can pull sick evasive maneuvers. The captain can make everyone better through buffs. I don't know if those would work well under testing, but it's a start. And I'm not sure what the actual gameplay is either. I feel like suggesting a minigame system is groan-inducing, but I like how that works in Free Realms. Maybe the engineer class could be like the traditional healing class. The ship has a series of sectors that take damage, and the engineer has abilities to repair them.

I like this scenario because I tend to enjoy the utility aspects of classes. I like giving other players buffs and using my skillset to make us better as a group.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2009 10:49AM (Unverified) said

Black Prophecy looks awesome. Modular ships sounds interesting and the artwork and screenshops are very appealing. Though I'm not sure if it'll drag me from EVE.