Posted: Apr 18th 2009 1:28PM Boruk said

this is how I ended up playing Warhammer..

just plain burnt out on the whole WoW thing, and decided to try Warhammer even though I despise PvP...and became pleasantly surprised when i really really liked Warhammer.

The PvP doesn't feel like a grind or fruitless like other PvP scenarios have...it's actually fun!

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 2:06PM madeleen said

I play SL, WoW and EO. They all require different mind sets. WoW is the easiest to submerge into since there is the quest structure. EO also offers the quest structure for newbies to get into the world.

But SL is a game and an extension of RL. It is like moving to another city. And it takes a while to set up house there. But once you do, it is an amazing experience. SL is more into role play games. I don't know of any zombie games but there is the Golgothica RP for undead fans and for sci-fi addicts there is Insilico.

Truthfully I've found that all the mmo's share the same factor. We go to those worlds to be surrounded by other people sharing the same experience. It is the same even for gamers who are shy.

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 2:29PM (Unverified) said

I think there's a fifth personality type in games that doesn't necessarily manifest in most MMOs, because they don't support it. This is the Creator, players who like to build and improve things. It's prevalent in RTS and Simcity type games, but most MMOs don't have a dynamic world and so can't really be altered and improved. SWG is an example of a "true" MMO with building elements.

Posted: Apr 20th 2009 8:19PM (Unverified) said

Excellent observation, Zack. I was thinking of my various friends in SL, and how they might fit into the various Bartle personality types. Builders might fall into the "Achievers" category, but in truth many of them build for building sake.

Just as many writers feel compelled to write because something in their brain urges them to create, so are the perpetual Builders in SL motivated to simply CREATE. Be it to build a better mousetrap or maybe the LEGO-like satisfaction of seeing a project through to completion, many of us just find satisfaction in the nuanced "game" of pulling prims and scripts together into something usable and appreciated by our fellow residents.

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 4:10PM mszv said

Let's not assume that Bartle's gamer types are all inclusive! Also - let's not assume that's the only way people can play, in an online world. I think that more MMOs, even MMORPGs will provide opportunities for players to make their own content. Right now we have Ryzom and City of Heroes. I think that content creating opportunities will grow, even for traditional MMORPGs.

MMORPGs aren't, by their nature, as open ended a virtual world as sandbox worlds such as Second Life. I know that - but here's another way to look at a game where you make things - you don't have to do it all alone. Like minded people get together in Second Life to make their own worlds. Some do more than others, and some have more of a visitor role. It gets better when you find areas you like, and like minded people.

I'm a very casual visitor to SL, but some people from a game we all used to be in (game was cancelled, twice) made a home in Second Life. When I go to Second Life I know I'll find areas to visit that I like, and I know they will change over time. Sometimes there will be people there I can talk to. The world There has a similar experience for me - people made a home in There.

I tend to be a very casual MMORPG player - primarily Guild Wars - but I enjoy getting into Second Life and There. I think of it as more of a continuum, the kinds of things we do in online worlds, rather than a strict dichotomy. As an example - think about housing in an MMORPG - and making your home the way you want. It's not completely different.

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 5:16PM (Unverified) said

Second Life may suck as a game ... but as a platform for DEVELOPING games on it has a lot of advantages

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 7:04PM (Unverified) said

SL is the only MMO I've kept my subscription with for the last five years. I dip in and out of the others as and when.

It's the user created content and everchanging landscape which fascinates me.

Posted: Apr 19th 2009 2:01AM cray said

I think the Bartle is on to something but I think there are various of sub-personalities for each of the four main personality traits. I identify myself as an Explorer in Guild Wars, City of Heroes, but for Second Life I'm equally a Socializer as well as an Explorer. The latter trait is fundamental to Second Life.

Speaking of which, I really would like to get further into Second Life but I find that it performs rather choppy regardless of my PC specs. I've tried it (2 months ago) on my friend's high end machine and it still takes forever to load the worlds and it gets choppy when I move. It just feels like there's a lot bugs that need to be worked out. I certainly hope the poor performance isn't due to me not being a monthly subscriber.

Posted: Apr 19th 2009 2:07PM (Unverified) said

You have to remember on SL nothing is stored on your own computer, everything is streamed down to you.. You can see where your lag is coming from by going to the help menu, and selecting the lag meter. SL does not throttle bandwidth depending on if your a paying or non paying costumer.

Posted: Apr 20th 2009 3:38AM (Unverified) said

We've got a comprehensive guide to identifying and correcting SL lag, you know :)

Posted: Apr 19th 2009 10:27AM Evy said

I tried really hard to get into SL. It just wasn't for me. I love the -idea- of SL, but the implementation didn't tickle my fancy. I am kind of bored with WoW right now, but nothing on the market appeals to me more. I'm holding out hope for World of Darkness, which is probably a looong while off.

Posted: Apr 20th 2009 8:25PM (Unverified) said

Evi, given the broad expanse of SL and what it encompasses, I would encourage you to give it another look.

I always advise friends and colleagues I introduce to SL to look at it more as a medium--sort of like the world wide web. SL is evolving and becoming richer each month in terms of the sheer quantity of things to do.

So you might just need to figure out what it is you find enjoyable, and seek it out in SL. It probably exists somewhere in-world and you just have to find it!

Posted: Apr 19th 2009 11:34AM (Unverified) said

Just a small correction, despite bearing his name the "Bartle Test" was not written by Richard Bartle. It was actually created by Erwin Andreasen and Brandon Downey.

Posted: Apr 24th 2009 10:19AM (Unverified) said

check out the Wastelands if you want to be a post-apocolyptic zombie.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014