Posted: Apr 18th 2009 6:18PM (Unverified) said

As terrible as the game's client and servers were, the most fun I ever had in an MMO came in the 3 months after release of this game. It is the reason I will give PVP games a chance, it is also the reason I hate factions and RVR now. This game proved that a player driven economy is at least possible, and showed that a factionless PVP game can have just as much excitement and drama as the usual MMO. Alliances, backstabs, politics, resources, this game was deeper than many gave it credit for.

Their character class system is still my favorite of any game before or since. The shear amount of combinations and skill customizations ensured that almost no one was the same. Lets not forget it was a pioneer in flying and such races as half-giants, minotaurs, centaurs, avian bird-men, vampires, and many others.

I came back 2 years ago to see how it had progressed. There were several new things in play, but not much changed. The game was still completely enjoyable IMO. The skills were fun, the classes were still amazing, unfortunately the game had become a English speaking vs. non-english speaking game of war. It was like there was 2 factions in a factionless game, seperated by non-communication just like Hoard vs Alliance. No politics, no alliances, just artificial RVR.

--AKA Layne Heavenquake of DHL

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 6:52PM (Unverified) said

"When people talk about Eve and Darkfall, I think Shadowbane should get a mention. Unfortunately when people talk about botched releases of games such as Conan, Shadowbane should be mentioned also."

QFT. I've been blessed with PvP success in three different games, and Shadowbane, while being the most frustratingly flawed, was a superior, gripping experience compared to the rest. In the end, the frustrations outweighed the benefits, but, as I told @ashentemper, all I want for Christmas is what SB *could* have been.

To all my former guildies, nationmates and allies - and, yes, all our bitter yet respected enemies: "Play to Crush".

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 6:40PM PlasticSpork said

• Half a heart
I recall playing Shadowbane for a while when it first came out. I don't think it had keyboard commands for movement: you had to use the mouse. That alone was enough to sink it, though the stability problems didn't help.

Yet another game that deserved to die a long while back.

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 7:32PM (Unverified) said

You get used to it after a while, but yeah main stream people need the keyboard movement.

In a large battle though, where you're zoomed out so you can command your troops and watch troop movements around you, the lines between what's forward and back get blurred and its much easier to click on who or what you want to interact with and let the game send you there. If you were a group leader in Shadowbane, you could ask the group to go into a formation and be commanded by you much like a RTS game, so the select, point and click worked rather well in the mass battles I joined during release. Keyboard commands were used more for getting a view of your surroundings, just like in RTS games, while you point and clicked where to send people.

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 7:10PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I remember when I played this at it's rebooting, quite a lot of people from Darkfall pre-launch fanbase went to play it, was great fun. However, the fun only lasted about a month when people began to leave, and the playability of it quickly re-emurged as not too long lasting.

Posted: Apr 18th 2009 8:49PM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
A other game bit the dust! Woot! sorry but this junk did earn it!

Posted: Apr 19th 2009 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Being a UO fan and wanting something new I was an avid follower of Shadowbane for years before it was released. It was one of the first games I got myself really hyped up for well before it was released. When I finally got into beta, despite it not meeting quite all of my expectations, I was still quite into it. Between the many, many promises that remained unfulfilled and the horrible state of the client (and servers) I quit only a month or so after launch and never looked back.

A few years later I discovered that a couple of my coworkers were hardcore into it but was pretty disappointed to hear that the game had, at least for them, devolved into a battle of who had the best exploits, macros, and bots. Lame.

StarCraft II: An MMO player's perspective