Posted: Apr 17th 2009 8:05AM Lethality said

You can't see behind you while if first person mode, and most of today's mmo encounters rely on awareness from all angles, so a wide 3rd person view is basically assumed through the game design.

The only way you could do it is possibly solo grinding/farming as ranged dps character.. as a melee dps or tank, forget it. Plus you don't see alot of the visual cues you get from the combat or spell animations.

I really think many mmos provide this simply because they don't want to limit the camera, but the games are indeed designed for 3rd person.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2009 9:31PM (Unverified) said

And that's the biggest problem with games today - you go into first person mode, and you loose all the spellcasting and attack effects. If I could at least see my sword swinging, or my hands moving when casting spells, I would be a happy camper. I know it can be done (and done well) - Everquest and Oblivion have proved it.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 8:22AM Halldorr said

Always preferred third person so I can see more around my character...and I was always bad at first person shooters.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 8:26AM ymiris said

In EQ I always used a first person view and loved it, the immersion was that much better. Since then I have always used third person and the more I think about it the more I wish I would have stayed in first person.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 11:08AM (Unverified) said

This is exactly my sentiment. Sure, it's great to see my costumed hero in CoH, but it's not "me". In EverQuest, I felt like I was in the game. The immersion was much thicker.

I can't expect standard MMOs to change, I just keep hoping an MMOFPS will come along and kick the immersion factor up another notch. Planetside, while having a bad rep, with very immersive. You felt like you were in the thick of it, not observing from a floating camera on high.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:04AM DaBruuzer said

As poster #1 said, you need to have more positional awareness in most MMO these days, and the FP view won't provide that.

As well, with the attention to detail that some MMOs allow in character creation, gear, and in animations, it is nice to see the work you put into creating and leveling your character, getting that cool gear, etc., for yourself.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:09AM (Unverified) said

Most MMOs these days aren't designed to be playable in first person, which is a huge shame.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:13AM JeffT4 said

I love doom, descent, and all the other FPS games. But as a COX player, I spend loads of time building the "Look" of my character. So I want to "See" them! It's not just npc awareness, I like to see my char's wings flapping etc...

FPS view can be used appropriately, and usually is in MMO's. I, for instance, can't stand third-party or over-the-shoulder views in single player games. Dead space should've been FPS for example.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:23AM Snow Leopard said

Although I really enjoy FPS games, I still love seeing how cool my guy looks in WoW. Still, I wish someone would come out with a fantasy mmo that had controls somewhere along the lines of third person games like Gear of War, Metal Gear, or Jade Empire. Pointing and clicking just feels really detached.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:35AM Psychotic Storm said

What I love in MMO is the avatar, why would I care to level improve or acquire that little extra for him/ her/it if I was not able to see him/her/it?

FPS is nice as an option to exist (especially for those screen shots), but for me MMORPG should be 3rd person.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:36AM Psychotic Storm said

that FPS should really be FPV.....

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:49AM Gel214th said

Third Person almost exclusively. Most MMORPGs are not designed for First Person play unless they are shooters.

There is no way to adjust your Field of View in most of them, and all the visual cues of powers hitting etc. are missed in First Person view.

The developers always have this as an option, but it isn't properly implemented at all.

In First Person you lose almost all the situational awareness that you have with third person view.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:51AM Jhaer said

In my opinion, first person is more immersive while third person lends itself to easier playability. Back in the days when EQ launched and I was coming to the MMO genre from playing shooters and the camera angles in EQ stunk, I played first person. Once playing third person became more popular, I started feeling less attached to my character. I no longer was the character playing in the world, I was watching the character playing in the world.

Tactically, 3rd person works better, but it makes the game more like an RTS instead of an FPS. Your character cannot see behind them, but YOU can. Immersion, lost.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 9:59AM (Unverified) said

My first MMO was EQ and I played most of that in first person. Not sure if it had a 3rd person option when I was playing it. Generally since then I have been a 3rd person view fan.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 1:39PM (Unverified) said

I prefer first person mostly, however I like games where I have the option to do either. I am not keens on games that are exclusively 3rd person.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 1:40PM Kaio said

I prefer third person in any game. You cant see whats around you and I always get lost in first person view. Then I start going around in circles and get motion sickness, seriously.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 1:42PM (Unverified) said

Almost always 3rd person. The wider field of view is important and I prefer to be able to see what my character is doing. Plus, what's the point of designing a look in CoH or Spellborn, or getting a nice looking set of gear in other games if you never see yourself?

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 2:13PM CalebG said

I would say an option for both would be best, though, if only one could be implemented into a game, it would be subjective to the game, genre and mechanics.

TP wise, it allows the player to see his character, and thus, develop a bond with his character. After all, part of the hard work acquiring high-end equipment is to view it yourself, other then for the stats and showing off.

Aesthetically, it makes perfect sense.

Of course, as the more hardcore crowd would point out, it also allows them a wider view; situational awareness.

FP wise, it brings the player closer to his character, allowing him to be just one step closer to being truly immersed in the world. Especially if it is of a more action orientated genre (MMOFPS), it allows the player to quickly respond, and accurately. However of course, the barrier would be the manipulation of the controls that some more casual players would find it hard, or even downright dizzying to cope with.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 3:56PM (Unverified) said

I really had to think about this one since I was a 5 year FPS addict and only played first person from Doom to Unreal2k4 and couldn't think of even attempting it 3rd person. But now since I have been in the MMORPG world for about 3 years, of which i only play 3rd person, I couldn't think of playing it first person. So I guess I would have to say my preference depends on the game design............ehh yeah okay hmmmm.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 4:48PM (Unverified) said

I get motion sick pretty easily, so first person is pretty much always out for me.... unless I only want to play for 10 minutes at a time.
| 1 | 2 |